IGNORED

Another Myrtle Beach Thread

Note: This thread is 3605 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey All,

I'm headed down to North Myrtle next week and our travel agent booked us a package including the following courses. Any feedback on the course conditions, layouts, overall quality, etc. would be appreciated.

1. Crow Creek

2. Rivers Edge

3. Carolina National

4. Cape Fear National.

5. Founder's Club at Pawley's

Also, we are staying near Crow Creek, so any recommendations of restaurants/nightlife within a short cab ride would be appreciated.

Thanks!

In my Cobra Carry bag:

Driver - Callaway Razr Fit (stiff)
3 Wood -  FcW 3 wood (stiff)
Hybrid - TaylorMade RBZ Stage 2 Hybrid 19* (stiff)

Irons - - AP1 - 4 to GW (stiff)

Wedges - - CG 14 Black Pearl - 52*, 56* and 60*

Putter - Odyssey Versa Jailbird 

Balls - Srixon Z-Star XV

It is a long drive from N. Myrtle to Pawleys Island. If you are willing to drive that far, there are better courses than the one you are going to play.

It is a long drive from N. Myrtle to Pawleys Island. If you are willing to drive that far, there are better courses than the one you are going to play.

Yeah, I know there are definitely better tracks, but we wanted to get down south for the drive and to spend part of a day down there. This was the only course that could be included in our package.

We paid about $428 per person and got the following:  4 nights in a 3 bedroom condo, 5 rounds as listed in the first post, lunch and 2 beers at each course and a dozen Pro-V's.

Any other comments regarding the courses we are playing?

In my Cobra Carry bag:

Balls - Srixon Z-Star XV

Sounds like a good deal.

Fantastic deal for this time of year.

I'm sorry I can't help with restaurants up in that direction.  I spend most of my non-golfing time in Myrtle Beach itself.  I rarely eat up there.

My parents, who live there half the year, seem to love Chianti South, an Italian place, just south of the North/South Carolina border.

If you want bar/restaurant suggestions in Myrtle itself, I've got a ton.

EDIT--Ha, somebody gave me the Aguirre avatar.  I suppose it was a mod?  Sweet.

"Witty golf quote."

yeah, we are really pleased with the deal.

We will probably dine out in the main Myrtle Beach area one night. Any suggestions on a good steakhouse that isn't too extravagantly priced?

In my Cobra Carry bag:

Balls - Srixon Z-Star XV

yeah, we are really pleased with the deal.

We will probably dine out in the main Myrtle Beach area one night. Any suggestions on a good steakhouse that isn't too extravagantly priced?

Depends on what you mean by extravagant.  There's a New York Prime which is a steakhouse in the typical Capital Grill/Hyde Park/Mortons  vein and priced similarly.  But if you're going to spend that money, I'd suggest Thoroughbreds, which is right near the 2001 night club.  There's an Outback, which is as good a chain restaurant that exists, IMO.

But for a solid steak for a reasonable price, I'd recommend Chuck's Steakhouse, also near the near 2001 night club.  It has been around for at least thirty years.

If you want something casual that's also right near 2001, try the Bimini Grill.  Often they have live music.  Cheap peel and eat shrimp, oyster shooters, good beach bar food like hush puppies.  Lively place.

"Witty golf quote."

Actually, that's a good night.  Grab dinner at Chuck's, head across the street to Bimini's afterward for a casual couple of beers and maybe some live music in a relaxed setting.

"Witty golf quote."

Actually, that's a good night.  Grab dinner at Chuck's, head across the street to Bimini's afterward for a casual couple of beers and maybe some live music in a relaxed setting.

Thanks a lot man, I think we are going to do that one night for sure.

Any idea how much cab fare up to the Calabash area would be from Chuck's, in case we decide to enjoy a few to many beers after dinner?

In my Cobra Carry bag:

Balls - Srixon Z-Star XV

Any idea how much cab fare up to the Calabash area would be from Chuck's, in case we decide to enjoy a few to many beers after dinner?

We ate at Greg Normans Australian Grille when I was there in earlier this month and the food was excellent.  4930 Hwy 17 S, North Myrtle Beach, SC 29582

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't know.  It won't be cheap, but if it's split four ways, you could probably getting away with $10 per person or less with tip.

Your biggest problem up that direction might be getting a cab to pick you up.  Worst case, you can make an interesting bet during the round that day.  Loser is designated driver.

"Witty golf quote."

We ate at Greg Normans Australian Grille when I was there in earlier this month and the food was excellent.  4930 Hwy 17 S, North Myrtle Beach, SC 29582

Normans is good.  Very good for a chain.

"Witty golf quote."

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update for anyone that is headed down to Myrtle. Brief reviews of the courses we played, ranked from best to worst:

Rivers Edge - Fantastic! Great layout, excellent shape, challenging and very scenic and picturesque - definitely my favorite of the trip

Cape Fear National - Awesome course.  For a relatively new course, it looks very mature, and its in great condition. It was a good challenge, lots of sand and water to contend with. Extremely friendly and helpful staff.

Founders Club - very challenging as all holes are lined with waste bunkers instead of a cart path.  If you don't keep it straight, you are in trouble every time off the tee.  Enjoyable course that was in pretty decent shape.  As others mentioned, there are better courses in the Pawley's area if you are going to make that long drive.

Carolina National - Great, challenging and scenic layout, but the course was not in very good shape at all.  Some burnt out areas, some very patchy grass, especially in the rough and some of the greens were pretty beaten up.

Crow Creek - This course was in fantastic shape, and was very nice to look at, but we all found it to be very generic - Wide open fairways, a lot of hazards were out of play for a decent golfer.  Also they double tee'd all day, so it was the slowest round we played.   People down there really seem to love this course. If they tightened up the fairways and brought some more hazards into play off the tee it could be a great track.

In my Cobra Carry bag:

Balls - Srixon Z-Star XV

I think it is interesting how we all perceive golf courses differently. For me River's Edge was nothing special - in fact I may never play it again. I can't even remember any holes - that is how unmemorable it was for me.

As for Crow Creek, I agree with everything you say. But I will add that I play this course every year when I visit with my group. I call it our "practice round" and always play it first in the week. For the better players it is a chance to go low and shoot a good number to kick off your week. For the average to poor players, it is not so difficult that you start your trip in a discouraging way.

I would also like to nominate The Thistle for my favorite golf in N.Myrtle-Sunset Beach area. I don't see this talked about too much on the forums but I have to say that this place is top notch in all respects.

I have played Cape Fear National several times and it has always been in great shape. Challenging course, lots of natural areas where you are not allowed to retrieve your ball and quite a few large gators. Tomorrow I'll post a picture of one I encountered - I had to abandon that ball. River's Edge is a beautiful course. Lots of very picturesque views over the marshes. I played the course last year in a tournament, have not had the chance to go back since then. Mostly because Cape Fear National is much closer to home.

Note: This thread is 3605 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!