IGNORED

Strength and Depth of Field in Jack's Day and Tiger's Day

Phil McGleno

Strength and Depth of Field  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Loosely Related Question (consider the thread topic-please dont just repeat the GOAT thread): Which is the more impressive feat?

• Winning 20 majors in the 60s-80s.
    • Winning 17 majors in the 90s-10s.

• Administrator
5 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

Erik,
I give you a lot of credit for being willing to fight the good fight; although it is an odd torch to carry.

What's so "odd" about it?

5 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

I'm also curious if you are out there trying to convert those in the flat earth society?

Recently, some guy on Twitter. Not too hard to find if you look back at my tweets last week. 🙂

That guy looooooooved the Bleacher Report article.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/2/2018 at 9:50 AM, Jack Watson said:

@mvmac

Here’s some numbers.  Won’t be posting about field strength again.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1687496-the-myth-of-deeper-pga-tour-fields-during-tiger-woods-era

Wow this is the dumbest article I think I have ever read.  What they are not picking up on is that the best players in the game did not get together but 4 times a year back then (and even then, many Americans didn't go to the Open).  During Tiger's era, it was 8 with the Players & WGC events, and then more with the playoff events.  On top of that, because of the money brought in, best players from all over the world bought houses in the US and played on TOUR on a consistent and regular basis compared to Jack's era.  The article has been written with such a bias it's quite transparent and citing such an article only displays the bias if the individual citing it as well

7 hours ago, AaronVA83 said:

Wow this is the dumbest article I think I have ever read.  What they are not picking up on is that the best players in the game did not get together but 4 times a year back then (and even then, many Americans didn't go to the Open).  During Tiger's era, it was 8 with the Players & WGC events, and then more with the playoff events.  On top of that, because of the money brought in, best players from all over the world bought houses in the US and played on TOUR on a consistent and regular basis compared to Jack's era.  The article has been written with such a bias it's quite transparent and citing such an article only displays the bias if the individual citing it as well

Until the 90s or so there were virtually no tournaments, major or otherwise, in which substantially all of the world´s best players were entered.

7 minutes ago, turtleback said:

Until the 90s or so there were virtually no tournaments, major or otherwise, in which substantially all of the world´s best players were entered.

Look at it this way. Nick Faldo, only has 9 PGA Tour wins. 6 of them are majors. He has 30 European wins. He would come over for what looked like 12-16 events a year, but there are about good number of years he would only come over for 6 or 7 events. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• Support TST Affiliates

TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasjun21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
    • Hmmm, I think on a first glance you'd almost play as far back as you could (within reason — you can't be hitting hybrids to half of the par fours). You'd deprive yourself of a few pars, but bogeys don't cost you anything. Let's say you play 5994 yards and 7200 yards. That's 333 yards and 400 yards. Maybe you make four birdies and two bogeys on the shorter course, and four bogeys and two birdies on the longer course. 333 * 12 + 666 * 4 + 0 * 2 = 6660 400 * 12 + 800 * 2 + 0 * 4 = 6400 So, no, the added yardage doesn't offset the added points from making birdies. Now, that's one quick example, but it has me leaning the other way now. A more fair game might be to take off 100 yards from every hole when figuring out the points, in which case you'd tempt more people to play back farther. If you're good, though, too: guys can shoot 66 on a long course, a PGA Tour level course, but can't shoot too much lower on a short course, so I wonder if the added length… see, but even as I'm typing it, if they can birdie just three more holes, or eagle one or two more holes because of the length, that length gets multiplied and basically adds another 300 or 450 (a short par five that they eagle) yards to the total… so I think it would be tough to out-race. One way you could think of it is to say that every time you birdie, you get to play another hole and get points. If you par a 350-yard hole, you played one hole and got all the yardage points. But birdie that hole and it's almost like you play 19 holes (taking a 6300 yard course to 6650) and are guaranteed the 350 points on that hole. So, yeah, I'm flipping from my very initial quick thought. Play as short as you can within reason (basically, that means staying in a par 72 or at least 71 situation: a 3200-yard par three course would be horrible for this game*). So, yeah, I'd like the game more if you took 100 points off each hole so a 350-yard hole offered 250 points. Then you're looking at: 233 * 12 + 466 * 4 + 0 * 2 = 4660 300 * 12 + 600 * 2 + 0 * 4 = 4800 * Also, if you do play a par three course, don't remove the 100 points. The holes are already short enough, and making even a par from 150 out should be worth full points. It's tough. Then again, on an executive course with all par threes… aren't you almost just keeping Stableford score with this points system? With the only modification being the points available change slightly by the yardage? Still, a decent game, as it really makes you bear down on the longer par threes.
    • Today I did both mobility workouts, Mobility Routine 1 - Movement & Mobility and Mobility Routine 2 - GolfFlex. The app states that you can do the mobility workouts on days between the other workouts. Mobility Routine 1 - Movement & Mobility Has some of the same stretches and extension work as the warmup in the workouts. Added are some hip dorsiflexion, quad stretches and hip circles along with the pelvic rotation, extension and torso rotation from previous sessions. This was a whole body mobility session. This session didn’t have the written descriptions of the exercises, which I liked in the Phase 1 workouts. But he does have excellent videos here. There is also the glitch where some exercises had a reps box and a weight box to fill in with no weights. As @iacas pointed out, it would be nice if we could check off each item when completed.  Mobility Routine 2 - GolfFlex  is a much more golf specific routine, which I am excited about. There are only five routines but they are geared toward increasing hip flexibility, backswing length, shoulder and lead arm flexibility, and hip and shoulder separation angle during transition which he referred to as the X Factor stretch. I need to improve in all these areas. It is hard to describe each stretch, so I recommend checking the app out for that. He basically isolates each area that needs to increase mobility then gently works the area. It took a few minutes to get them down correctly, but I immediately see the benefit. Both these will be part of my routine.
    • Ok round today.  Par x 2, bogey x 3, par, double (par 3 into water), par x 2, bogey, par x 2, bogey x 2, par, bogey, double (par 4 into water), bogey.  Can't complain about most holes though the two doubles really irritate me.  No need for either
    • Played in a two person team stroke play four-ball competition.  Afterwards, the tournament director (head pro) did not post the scores, as he normally does after tournaments.  Asked why not, he said: This is wrong for many reasons. For example, holes do not have to be "completed". No putts can be "given". (And probably scores should be recorded.) Symptomatic, IMO, of poor regard for the rules in these events. Ideas for "questions" to send him?
    • For more guidance I'd look to the Committee Procedures, specifically at 2C which concerns marking Penalty Areas for General Play.  There's still some judgement involved, and there always will be.  
  • Today's Birthdays

1. 4FrugalGolfers
      4FrugalGolfers
      (75 years old)
    2. basketcase01
      basketcase01
      (43 years old)
    3. JimF27
      JimF27
      (70 years old)
    4. Mark Bradshaw
      Mark Bradshaw
      (60 years old)

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...