IGNORED

Curious - ever play a par 4/5 w/fairway w/water on both sides?

Note: This thread is 3612 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

There's a great hole at a course I played in Tampa, 400-425ish yards, it was kind of an island fairway. Not much water to carry, but once you made the carry, you had to worry about water on both sides and not little creeks, a full pledged pond/lake. I don't ever remember seeing a hole like this ever other than that one. Anyone play one like it?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

There is a course here in Michigan near Port Huron called Fore Lakes.   The first hole is either a par 4 or a par 5!  There is water both on the left and on the right.   If you play the par 5 option, you have to carry over the water to the green.    The hole is very cool.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Edinburg USA golf course outside of Minneapolis has a par 4 - tee off across water to the island fairway and then back over the water to the green.  Been many years since I've played there but remember this hole well.  Big psych factor until you are safely on the green.

I can think of one on courses that I frequent.  Except it's not really that big of a deal because the ponds are not reachable from the tee.  Hit a good drive and you are faced with the option to go for the green that is tucked behind the pond on the right, or lay up between the ponds.  Not really THAT scary of a proposition considering that you likely will have no more than a 7 or 8 iron in your hands for that lay up.

But any hole that required a drive to be placed between two ponds would scare the heeby jeebies out of me.  Driving with accuracy is not exactly my strong suit. ;)

Yeah but the left side water isn't in play. There is an upper lake that has a steep embankment, would require hitting a really high hook to clear it. I don't mind water to the side, hitting over it tends to get in my head. I play a course that has a par 5 with a lake to carry from the tee about 180 +/- yards and I hit it in there often. Without fail that is the drive that doesn't get 10 feet off the ground and dives hard. I am going to start hitting a 6i or 5h there just to avoid the penalty. My home course has a blue monster type finish, massive lake from tee to green on the left of a dogleg left par 5 that is kind of tough with OB right.

Dave :-)

The #7 hole at the Links at Gettysburg in Pa is a 580 yard par 5 that for your first shot off the tee you need to land square in the middle of the fairway as there is a pond on each side. It is damn nasty.

I'm sure there are many courses in Florida with water on both sides of a fairway. There should always be room for a miss though. I believe 14 at Glen Abbey near Toronto has water on both sides.

The #7 hole at the Links at Gettysburg in Pa is a 580 yard par 5 that for your first shot off the tee you need to land square in the middle of the fairway as there is a pond on each side. It is damn nasty.

I love golf holes like this. Really forces you to think of your shot shape. Though I would hate this hole because it benefits a fade. I would probably aim down the right hand side, so if I push it a bit it would be ok. Then I would aim my feet a bit right and hit a draw off the right side. I would probably Laser one of the mounds out there to get a good idea as to how far the run out is. So maybe I take 3 wood on this hole, instead of driver.

Fun Fun!!!!

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I love golf holes like this. Really forces you to think of your shot shape. Though I would hate this hole because it benefits a fade. I would probably aim down the right hand side, so if I push it a bit it would be ok. Then I would aim my feet a bit right and hit a draw off the right side. I would probably Laser one of the mounds out there to get a good idea as to how far the run out is. So maybe I take 3 wood on this hole, instead of driver.

Fun Fun!!!!

Yea I love them like that as well.  Only issue have with this hole when I play there most of the time I land on the side of the fairway and the speed of the ball rolls it into the water. Just my luck most of the time. That photo is from what looks to be the forward tee box and that fairway goes to the right.  It is one beast of a hole. If you ever get to that area in PA it is a must play course...

Napa GC in Napa CA 17th hole par 5 has water both sides and then carry or lay up with your second.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Napa GC in Napa CA 17th hole par 5 has water both sides and then carry or lay up with your second.

I'd be hittin nothing more than a 6i then...lol

The 18th where I work has ponds on both sides. It opens up fairly wide after about 200 yards but unless you hug the right side it leaves a 150 to 170 yard second shot across the pond off of a severe downhill slope. If you hug the right side the landing area is flat and leaves an easy 140 yard shot across the pond.

Since the optimum landing area is only 200 to 220 yards from the tee it's only a 3W or 5W fade to the landing area. If I hit a straight ball or a draw I'm too likely to hit the tree.  Not a hard hole but a hole that can certainly be messed up, and has been the demise of plenty of potential good rounds for me.

Nope - would hate that particular experience though. Whether you fade or draw, it is all bad.

:titleist:  913D2 10.5*  913F 15* 18*  913H  21*  24*  27*    :tmade: Burner Superfast 7i  8i  9i   :vokey: Vokey SM4  48*  52*  56*  60*    :cameron:  Newport 2 Notchback (Black)      :srixon:  Z Star XV (Yellow)    :ecco:  Biom Hybrid

Yup every single day! The fairway is actually pretty wide but of course the angles that the teeboxes give you makes it look like it is really narrow.  The right side of the fairway actually funnels the ball towards the water on the right which seems so unfair when the wind is blowing. The hole only plays about 420 yards because it is technically a dogleg right but you will have some long yardages playing the hole from the left side of the fairway to the elevated green.

You actually get used to it when you deal with it day in and day out and though it it is a pivotal hole to keep in a good round going the play is to take iron or hybrid off the tee and then accept the longer second shot as it is about a 300 yard carry to where the carts are in the picture and it's just not worth the risk to try and hit it there because the green is also one of the most difficult on the course.

Par is always a good score on #7. They are actually draining the ponds to clean them out and I bet there are 20,000 golf balls at the bottom!

• 2 weeks later...

On a hole like that, I might just as well tee off with my putter.

You get used to it.  If you have a one way miss with your shots then you can greatly increase your odds of hitting the fairway. I am now comfortable enough to hit fairway wood off the tee and that definitely makes the approach shot much easier which helps but it is still a tough hole.

On a hole like that, I might just as well tee off with my putter.

wrote the same thing before I saw this.  so

+1!

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Note: This thread is 3612 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!