IGNORED

Golf Course Thief!

RightEdge
Note: This thread is 3620 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I played a twilight round at a RTJ Golf Course this past weekend. I played pretty good considering my normal score and was on hole number 14 as it was getting too dim to continue playing.  I was standing on the green lining up for my final putt when I hear some guy calling out for me. I turn around and I see two guys walking down the cart path towards me signaling with a flashlight.

I turn and finish my putt, pick up my Cleveland RTX 588 sandwedge and meet them at my cart.  They said the guy locked gate #13 and they could not get out with their cart.  They asked if I could give them a lift to the clubhouse. I said sure no problem. I mean they were about 20 to maybe 22 years old each, clean cut kinda preppy type guys that were very polite and seemingly ok young men. I put my putter and sandwedge in my bag, re-tightened the cart strap and got in.

One guy sat up front with me with his bag. The other guy strapped his bag in and hopped on back of the cart and held on and we were off.  I dropped them off at the clubhouse, turned in the cart, loaded my bag in my truck and headed home.

I got up the next morning to clean my clubs and my friggin sandwedge was gone!  I was like WHAT!!!!  That kid riding on the back pulled my sandwedge out and put it in his bag while he was on the back.  Pretty slick little move that makes me think they planned that all the way. I was going to call the pro shop and report the group behind me but by it being almost dark and with people most likely skipping holes and calling it quits, there is really no way to know which group that was.

Anyway so now I have to get another 56 degree wedge.  You live and you learn.

Wow, that totally sucks. Are you sure you didn't leave the wedge lying by the green?

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That sucks.

My story may be unique to me but I found it aggravating. I played public courses here in Seattle for many years before joining a CC. Probably left clubs or putter at holes at least 3 times, only to discover it missing too late. Each and every time someone turned it in and I got it back a day or two later. So, after I joined "The Club" 15 years ago, I've left clubs out there maybe 3 times. Not one time did the club or putter ever come back to me. Wouldn't you expect honor among club members? These guys are all doctors, financial guys, business men and (dare I say it) lawyers. John Q. Public is more honest than a club of the well to do. That's been my experience anyway.

• Upvote 1

That sucks.

My story may be unique to me but I found it aggravating. I played public courses here in Seattle for many years before joining a CC. Probably left clubs or putter at holes at least 3 times, only to discover it missing too late. Each and every time someone turned it in and I got it back a day or two later. So, after I joined "The Club" 15 years ago, I've left clubs out there maybe 3 times. Not one time did the club or putter ever come back to me. Wouldn't you expect honor among club members? These guys are all doctors, financial guys, business men and (dare I say it) lawyers. John Q. Public is more honest than a club of the well to do. That's been my experience anyway.

That actually doesn't surprise me at all.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

There are some real douches on golf courses. Few weeks ago I was hauling ass down the cart path and saw some sunglasses on the grass so I turned around. Someone had lost their Oakley GasCan. I was paired with this kid I didn't know and when we caught the group ahead I asked did you guys lose anything. Before they could say yeah I left my whatever back there he kid blurts out we found some glasses. The guy says yeah I lost mine so I said describe them, the way he said it seemed opportunistic. He wasn't even close so I told him nice try but I'll be turning in the glasses he couldn't describe to the pro shop.

Dave :-)

That sucks.

I agree with @Ernest Jones on this one. It doesn't surprise me. That's how they got where they are in life.

The only time I ever had anything stolen from me was from Harv##d students (or other preppies). Their answer? "Because I can. . ." I never forgot that phrase.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Wow, that totally sucks. Are you sure you didn't leave the wedge lying by the green?

Oh yea I'm positive.  I specifically remember putting the putter and wedge in my bag without a doubt. I did leave a wedge once and I came up with a sure fire way not to EVER leave a club around the green again.  My method is simple.  When you pull the flag, lay your wedge across the top of the flag. The only way you leave the wedge is if you forget to replace the flag.

So I played a twilight round at a RTJ Golf Course this past weekend. I played pretty good considering my normal score and was on hole number 14 as it was getting too dim to continue playing.  I was standing on the green lining up for my final putt when I hear some guy calling out for me. I turn around and I see two guys walking down the cart path towards me signaling with a flashlight.

I turn and finish my putt, pick up my Cleveland RTX 588 sandwedge and meet them at my cart.  They said the guy locked gate #13 and they could not get out with their cart.  They asked if I could give them a lift to the clubhouse. I said sure no problem. I mean they were about 20 to maybe 22 years old each, clean cut kinda preppy type guys that were very polite and seemingly ok young men.  I put my putter and sandwedge in my bag, re-tightened the cart strap and got in.

One guy sat up front with me with his bag. The other guy strapped his bag in and hopped on back of the cart and held on and we were off.  I dropped them off at the clubhouse, turned in the cart, loaded my bag in my truck and headed home.

I got up the next morning to clean my clubs and my friggin sandwedge was gone!  I was like WHAT!!!!  That kid riding on the back pulled my sandwedge out and put it in his bag while he was on the back.  Pretty slick little move that makes me think they planned that all the way. I was going to call the pro shop and report the group behind me but by it being almost dark and with people most likely skipping holes and calling it quits, there is really no way to know which group that was.

Anyway so now I have to get another 56 degree wedge.  You live and you learn.

Just came from the golf shop with a brand new 56-14 degree Titleist Vokey SM4.  I hit it on the monitor there and it solved a gap I had between my other sandwedge and Gap wedge. Other sandwedge was 80 yrds give or take.  Gap wedge was 125.  This Vokey I hit 4 times and they all were around the 115 yard mark which is about exactly where I should be.  Now I have to get a 60 degree maybe for shorter shots.

Good to hear you like your new wedge. Seems like the loss ended up in your favor. :-)

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Good to hear you like your new wedge. Seems like the loss ended up in your favor.

Yea, I do think I like this wedge better but it was $110 that I didn't have to spend right now.  Plus now I still need another wedge for shorter shots. But at least he didn't steal my driver.  Although taking my wedge is not much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightEdge View Post

Yea, I do think I like this wedge better but it was $110 that I didn't have to spend right now.  Plus now I still need another wedge for shorter shots. But at least he didn't steal my driver.  Although taking my wedge is not much better.

You probably would have noticed the driver.  Smart thief...

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

When you pull the flag, lay your wedge across the top of the flag. The only way you leave the wedge is if you forget to replace the flag.

You're smart.

I stack my stuff at the green also.  Still - Saturday I'm on the green and I see a blue smudge back under the tree I hit my approach from...  Asked the wife if she lost a headcover.

Glad I drove back - it was my rangefinder....

that's too expensive to lose...apparently like my memory

Bill - 

I am always paranoid of losing clubs. I try to make a conscious effort of counting all 14 clubs every 3-4 holes. That way if I do forget one, I don't have to back track very far to try and find it, and it reduces the amount of groups behind me who may have come across it.

Driver: RBZ Stage 2 10.5

3 Wood: RBZ 16HL

3 Hybrid: RBZ 21

Irons: Mizuno MP54 4-PW w/ TT Dynalite Gold Shafts

Wedges: Mizuno MP-T4 50,54,58 with DG Spinner Shafts

Putter: Mizuno MP A301

As an aside: In L.A. you can see 100's of single irons for sale on craigslist, and sets missing 9i, 7i's , ect. I get kinda suspicious when I see an almost newish 4 iron for sale, kinda makes ya wonder.

I never leave any club laying on the course, wedges in particular, pick em up. If I find a club, I will pick it up, just in case the group ahead may have forgotten it, which has happened more than once.

As for thieves, I liken them to rapist and career criminals, SCUMB of the earth.

That is just ridiculous. You would think of all places not on a golf course would you have someone like that.  I have maid that part of my end of play routine checking my golf bag for everything I started with. I have lost so much stuff over the years.  I have only lost 2 clubs and both turned up at the pro shop but I have lost extra towels and even my wallet one time.  So I am now the habit of checking everything a few times out on the course. I have that I now have this anxiety.

I mean they were about 20 to maybe 22 years old each, clean cut kinda preppy type guys that were very polite and seemingly ok young men.

I guess that's why they say you shouldn't judge a book by its cover. [quote name="PA Golf Info" url="/t/74184/golf-course-thief/0_100#post_983458"]You would think of all places not on a golf course would you have someone like that. [/quote] Why?

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Note: This thread is 3620 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!