IGNORED

NBC should sell network rights for the PGA and GOlf Channel to ABC

club ho
Note: This thread is 3636 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

To me it would make more sense for ABC to own the rights to broadcasting the pro golfing events. The reason is obvious part of the biggest draw for watching these events is the destinations that they take place. ABC with its Disney interests is light years ahead of the other networks and has a vested interest in promoting these destinations.

At the Ko Olina LPGA event it was interesting looking at the course and many shots included the new beautiful Disney's Aulani resort. Yet there was never even a reference to it. I understand why NBC would not want to mention it but it would be a real advantage for Disney if it was ABC covering the event. Basically it would be a continuous free commercial for Disney. Other venues like the Disney courses in Disney World Orlando would become premiere events under a ABC ownership. I could really envision the LPGA making a big move in ratings via promoting its players in Disney related commercials with there international cruise line and Disney destinations.

We all see enough advertisements and have enough people trying to shove products down our throats. Do you work for Disney or something? If not, why do you care if they get advertised?

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That sounds nice for ABC once or twice a year, but why the hell would NBC want to do that?

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

We all see enough advertisements and have enough people trying to shove products down our throats. Do you work for Disney or something? If not, why do you care if they get advertised?

It is purely an observation as a businessman. Believe it or not the LPGA is hanging on by its fingernails. If you don't believe it take a look at the paltry size of the galleries at the events. It desperately needs an infusion of viewers in order to succeed. The PGA  while not hurting as much could definitely use a lift as well particularly the Champions tour. If TIger fades from the scene then all bets are off for the PGA's success as well.

My point is thatDisney has a far bigger foot print then just Disney World Orlando or Aulani there five star resort in Oahu. There Cruise lines are beginning to cover destinations world wide along with a growing group of Vacation clubs. It does not take much imagination to see how a creative advertising campaign could be crafted to the roving pro golf events. Keep surfing over the commercials all you want but don't blame me when you have to pay moire for watching TV in the future.

That sounds nice for ABC once or twice a year, but why the hell would NBC want to do that?

I would bet that NBC would be willing to make a deal to cast off both the golf channel and there PGA interests. Mainly because ABC would have the reason to offer more money than NBC can realize from them.

I don't know this to be fact but I was under the impression everyone gets to bid on the WGC and PGA Tour broadcast rights, including ABC?  If ABC saw the value you believe they should I'd think they would outbid everyone else.

While golf isn't a huge ratings draw (except Majors) it doesn't have much competition on Saturday and Sunday afternoons except from baseball for a good part of the season so it probably generates good revenue for NBC and is a good complement to the Golf Channel.

Joe Paradiso

If TIger fades from the scene then all bets are off for the PGA's success as well.

While Tiger undoubtedly moves the needle in a way no one else does, the PGA Tour survived for quite some time B.T. and will exist in the A.T. world. The purses might not be as big, nor the TV contracts as expensive, but it's not like Tiger is the only person keeping the tour alive.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I don't know this to be fact but I was under the impression everyone gets to bid on the WGC and PGA Tour broadcast rights, including ABC?  If ABC saw the value you believe they should I'd think they would outbid everyone else.

While golf isn't a huge ratings draw (except Majors) it doesn't have much competition on Saturday and Sunday afternoons except from baseball for a good part of the season so it probably generates good revenue for NBC and is a good complement to the Golf Channel.

I am like you not informed of what the bidding process or contracts are for gaining shows broadcasting rights.

It just seems to me that both the Golf Channel and the golf tours would be a better fit for ABC because of there association with DIsney. They would compliment each other.

While Tiger undoubtedly moves the needle in a way no one else does, the PGA Tour survived for quite some time B.T. and will exist in the A.T. world. The purses might not be as big, nor the TV contracts as expensive, but it's not like Tiger is the only person keeping the tour alive.

This is true but in this new multi media world we live in there is so many other things people can do the competition for survival on a major network is extremely difficult. Take a look at professional tennis. I couldn't name more than three or four men's players current playing the same with the women's tennis.

Without a doubt every pro player should take a turn kissing TW's ass.

Quote:
Believe it or not the LPGA is hanging on by its fingernails. If you don't believe it take a look at the paltry size of the galleries at the events. It desperately needs an infusion of viewers in order to succeed.

Could you please provide a cite for this claim?  The LPGA's ratings have been steadily rising for a while, and they recently announced that this year, 2014, would be the first year every minute of every LPGA event would be carried live. The 2013 ratings were the highest they've ever had by a whopping 13%.

Did you just make this up?

Quote:
I am like you not informed of what the bidding process or contracts are for gaining shows broadcasting rights.

Read Feinstein's "A Good Walk Spoiled".  He has a whole chapter on how it works.

ABC's golf coverage has always seemed a little so so to me compared to CBS and NBC, so I don't see them being the savior of the tours. I actually like the Golf Channel coverage most of the time. I always liked ABC coverage of auto racing and other sports, though.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Could you please provide a cite for this claim?  The LPGA's ratings have been steadily rising for a while, and they recently announced that this year, 2014, would be the first year every minute of every LPGA event would be carried live. The 2013 ratings were the highest they've ever had by a whopping 13%.

Did you just make this up?

Read Feinstein's "A Good Walk Spoiled".  He has a whole chapter on how it works.

Just an observation on my part. I was watching the finals of the LPGA in Texas and the gallery where very small actually it was hard to call them galleries IMO. I personally enjoy watching womens golf as much and sometimes more than the men's tour events. Probably because they hit about the same distance as I do so it is easier for me to relate to there games. But I am relatively sure that the viewer ratings are not that spectacular. Granted 13% is a good improvement but 13% of what?

Just my opinion but I think that LPGA would benefit with a Disney/ABC pairing.

Club Ho, where is this all coming from?

Contractually speaking NBC, along with other networks,  compete and bid for a contract for tours as well as specific sporting events. With the exception of the Masters, all are locked in for a period of time- several years.  Nothing for nothing NBC, NBC universal and all the subsids (golf channel being one) are owned by Comcast and Comcast besides being one of the largest companies in America, specializes in ALL Media content. WEB, stream, TV, movies, telephone and internet you name it. They are a huge!  ABC is primarily television only & movies, they do own ESPN as a result  of purchasing Disney. Out of the Big 3 networks  NBC, CBS and ABC is probably the weaker of the 3.

Why on earth would they (COMCAST) even consider "selling" this valuable asset at any price? The PGA weekend tournaments with or without Tiger is a gold mine for advertising revenue.  Selling this piece is a poor business decision and down right crazy.  Golf on TV is special, it attracts an older audience, this older audience has money & lots of it. Consequently you'll see BIG companies (investment, insurance and healthcare, telecommunication, luxury automobiles etc) advertising.  Unlike the spoon fed generation, (most of which will spend little to no money, simply because they really have not earned much) that is attracted to something like the Xgames that features Mountain dew, red bull,  go pro, straight talk and some footwear brands) Although popular from 18-34 male age group there seems to be a revolving door of advertisers- meaning they likely have not really seen a beneficial return on their marketing dollars spent.

NBC has also invested heavily in buying regional sports networks, like VERSUS, now call NBCsportHD-presently the Stanley cup finals are being shown at primetime, thru this network. The demonstrate a commitment to different tiered viewership of sports. The LPGA being one of these, with some exception this tour might break even and relies on advertising. The LPGA  has been on edge of profitability and operating loss for decades. I read somewhere a few years ago they changed the dress rules, allowing for shorter skirts  and more revealing attire to attract viewership.

ABC which also on owns ESPN which covers the OPEN  championship and its this viewers opinion that it is by far the worst coverage and commentary ( Chris Berman especially) of any of the majors televised. Further more as far as actual coverage there are far more commercials than any other typical golfing broadcast. More advertising = less golf shown.

If there is any business transaction between Comcast/NBC and ABC it's my opinion it will likely be Comcast purchasing ABC. But that is pure speculation.

Just an observation on my part. I was watching the finals of the LPGA in Texas and the gallery where very small actually it was hard to call them galleries IMO. I personally enjoy watching womens golf as much and sometimes more than the men's tour events. Probably because they hit about the same distance as I do so it is easier for me to relate to there games. But I am relatively sure that the viewer ratings are not that spectacular. Granted 13% is a good improvement but 13% of what?  Just my opinion but I think that LPGA would benefit with a Disney/ABC pairing.

ESPN/ABC did have the LPGA Tour rights a few years ago. The end result was an inconsistent schedule of lightly-promoted, tape-delay telecasts on ESPN2. There's a reason the LPGA went back to Golf Channel.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

ABC which also on owns ESPN which covers the OPEN  championship and its this viewers opinion that it is by far the worst coverage and commentary ( Chris Berman especially) of any of the majors televised.

So true.

Also, a lot of these TV rights are sold over segments.  CBS breaks off during the NCAA tournament, for example.  May and June are awful for ABC because they are showing the NBA playoffs during the weekends.  CBS disappears again in September when the NFL starts. So that has to enter into the equation with broadcasters, unless the PGA Tour is happy to just fall off network TV altogether.

"Witty golf quote."

I hate ABC for taking over Wimbledon. The finals are not broadcasted live on network TV anymore, only cable, and the rebroadcast on network TV is a shell of its former self. Here's a middle finger for you ABC - middle finger .

Also, it feels like ABC plays more commercials when it broadcasts the BO. Compared to NBC and CBS, ABC's golf coverage feels a lot more like they are "dialing it in".

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I hate ABC for taking over Wimbledon. The finals are not broadcasted live on network TV anymore, only cable, and the rebroadcast on network TV is a shell of its former self. Here's a middle finger for you ABC - middle finger[/i]

You do realize that there is no ABC when it comes to sports programming, right? Anything you watch on the network is property of ESPN. Now that ESPN has broadcast rights, every important match is aired live; that's in contrast to when NBC would black out cable and streaming coverage to air the day's marquee match on tape-delay, edited to fit into a two-hour time window, and long after fans already knew the final result. Yes, the live final is now on cable, same as the Open Championship. But weekend mornings are when network affiliates can air local-oriented programming, as well as the network's political talk shows. The affiliates and the network news divisions don't want their schedules to be preempted by a sporting event going on in Europe. NBC, CBS, and Fox all now have cable sports networks of their own, but as of yet, none of them are carried on all service providers' basic package; ESPN, on the other hand, is. Since the majority of American households have cable, ABC and ESPN have decided it makes more sense to air Wimbledon and the Open live on ESPN, not interrupt network affiliate schedules, but continue to rebroadcast coverage during afternoon hours (as ABC and NBC had always done anyway).

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

You do realize that there is no ABC when it comes to sports programming, right? Anything you watch on the network is property of ESPN.

Aren't they one in the same now, though?  They're both owned by Disney right?

Note: This thread is 3636 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!