IGNORED

Hitting over the trees

Note: This thread is 3617 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Do you intentionally hit over trees?

• All the time!
    • Never!
    • Sometimes...

I didn't find a thread on this topic, and I was curious just how much some of you guys avoid trees. Lately I've been taking a couple chances doing just what it says in the thread title, and it seems I can take them on a little more than I thought and it can simplify some problematic holes a lot.

What do you guys think? Do you have the height to do it but don't like the risk? Or is it just not an issue on your course?

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm getting there. My height is increasing and, more importantly, becoming more consistent and with that consistency comes the confidence to take some chances. You need to not only know what kind of height you can get but also where your apex is with the given club. It's something that I can see using more often when the risk-reward ratio is right but I'm not quite there yet.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Trees are my friend. :-D

They make me concentrate. I hit it over them, under them, through them and around them. I even deer hunt out of them.

Seriously, part of the fun of golf to me is hitting shots that other people won't, or can't, hit. I didn't bring much natural talent to the game but I could hit high draws and high fades as well as opening up mid lofted clubs like 7 irons and hitting huge flop shots over tall trees from pretty far distances.

Hell I had to do something to hold my own because I certainly wasn't very good at the traditional parts of the game.

My old playing partner used to always joke that he was going to plant trees in the middle of every fairway so I would hit better shots. Nowadays I play more boring golf than I did back then but the fun of the gamble hasn't completely gone away.

I'm not sure how to answer the poll so I didn't.

I do when it's appropriate to do so and when the reward is worth whatever the associated risk is.  Just like deciding whether to play over a water hazard and if so, how much to cut off.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I didn't find a thread on this topic, and I was curious just how much some of you guys avoid trees. Lately I've been taking a couple chances doing just what it says in the thread title, and it seems I can take them on a little more than I thought and it can simplify some problematic holes a lot.

What do you guys think? Do you have the height to do it but don't like the risk? Or is it just not an issue on your course?

It depends on the shot. I do go under trees than over most of the time, but I can go over trees if I want. Its a non-issue for me, no problem getting the ball in the air.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Depends on the area and terrain I play on. When I lived in Washington state the area I was in had some of the tallest fricking pine trees I've ever seen in my life. It was like trying to hit over a skyscraper. I learned quickly to hit the low burning runner to the green when I got into the woods there. Back in the Northeast where most our trees are more "normal sized" it's a matter of risk/reward. It's a good idea to practice the shot on the range from time to time.

To get a wedge up really high very quickly and carry a significant distance you really need some club head speed. I like to play the ball slightly more forward and envision myself swinging a Driver, loose and free wheeling.

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

golf courses that do not have trees the sport would be boring :bugout: I hate trees because I am constantly battling them, fairway what's a fairway when you have trees. I have to laugh sometimes I could have one small over hanging limb with leaves on it and  80% of the time I will hit the damn thing. :censored:

I am not in a place with my game whereiam confident enough to go over...... My ball finds the trees enough when I am trying to dodge them.

Driver: Taylormade RBZ :tmade: Irons: Titleist AP1 :titleist: PW-4 All other clubs are needing upgrading as I am able to afford it.

Depends on the situation.  Trying to hit over trees is a high-risk shot and I tend to prefer to hit a low, stinger that goes under them, as I feel its an easier shot to pull off consistently.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

It's a trade-off... Depends on the distance TO the tree, height of the tree, how far past the tree my landing spot is(green, layup, etc...) risk/reward factor, etc.... And that's for drives, cutting corners or getting out of trouble. No real issues getting up in the air- depending on the lie. A tight hardpan lie, the high pop might not be the best call- a bit tricky to get the ball cleanly under the ball. On a "normal" lie, no worries about getting it up and over with any club.

I too found the poll tough to answer. I would prefer a clear shot to the green vs having a tree in the way so I'd try to avoid it. When confronted with it, a lot of factors would have to be considered to determine whether to fly it, go under or punch out. But I hit the ball relatively high so may be able to take on a tree more readily than others.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

I would add that when I decide to fly a tree and it's going to be close, my swing thought is "hit down on the ball".

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

I am confident enough to fly over trees, but usually it's a 60 or SW to get on a green, and not an iron to go over a dog leg

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Ironically I hit these better, knowing I must have loft means I stay in the shot better and remain focussed on the strike. I'm one of those guys who scrambles well and messes up when I have a straightforward shot in.  Bet there's a few people on here who relate to that !!

Driver - Cleveland Launcher XL270
3 Wood - Cleveland Launcher HT FL3W
Hybrid - Adams A12OS 4h
Irons -  Mizuno MP54 5i - Pitch
Wedges - Cleveland 588 Rotex
Putter - Rife Mr Beasley
Remember, P23 - V4 !!

I don't play many courses with trees tall enough to matter. There isn't one tree in play at my home course, the few that I see aren't even on course property. Most modern courses in CO are faux links. I do play a few older park style course and it's really all about whether or not you are so far in you have to punch out. But I do hit over trees here and there. A few weeks ago I was far enough back I hit a 7w over some fairly tall trees after missing a fairway.

Dave :-)

It's situational. I hit over trees when I can or have to, but if the risk is too high, the reward too low, or the probability of success too low, I don't attempt it. If you can do it, it becomes another tool to use. When I'm standing in front of a tree that I'm confident I'll hit over, I don't even see it as an obstacle.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I answered sometimes.  If I know I can clear the tree with the height of my shot, I will.  I have hit quite a few shots over trees successfully.  I have used as low as a 6 iron from the rough.  I assume you are not talking about tee shots.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 3617 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!