IGNORED

Caddying for first time at tournament. What should I expect ?

Note: This thread is 3638 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm caddying at this chairty rent at Colonial in Fort Worth, Tx and it'll be my first time caddying. I've already googled the basics what should a caddy do but what exactly should I really expect / do? Thanks.

titleist.gif 910 9.5 Driver titleist.gif 910 F 3 Wood callaway.gif 2009 X Forged Irons 

titleist.gif  Wedges  Vokey 54 and 60    taylormade.gif  Putter Daddy Long Legs

Ball : Whatever the hell I find at my job as a cart guy.

Caddy for a pro or am?  If am player or pro keep mouth quiet, don't move when player has club in hand, don't roll ball on green, when in doubt ask reasonable question, don't offer advice unless requested, don't lose any club, etc. It's highly variable according to player what is expected. If charity and lots of alcohol, don't drink. Learn humility fast if you play better golf than 'boss' for the day.

I'm caddying at this chairty rent at Colonial in Fort Worth, Tx and it'll be my first time caddying. I've already googled the basics what should a caddy do but what exactly should I really expect / do? Thanks.

Before the round, talk to the other caddies and they will help you with the basics.  Be attentive and look to them for signals.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Need a little more info.

What kind of tournament?  Who are you caddying for?  Completely different if it's a fun/charity event and you're carrying for a buddy than if it's the State Amateur, or carrying for a Pro in a PGA Tour ProAm.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Caddy for a pro or am?  If am player or pro keep mouth quiet, don't move when player has club in hand, don't roll ball on green, when in doubt ask reasonable question, don't offer advice unless requested, don't lose any club, etc. It's highly variable according to player what is expected. If charity and lots of alcohol, don't drink. Learn humility fast if you play better golf than 'boss' for the day.

[quote name="David in FL" url="/t/74282/caddying-for-first-time-at-tournament-what-should-i-expect#post_985111"] Need a little more info. What kind of tournament?  Who are you caddying for?  Completely different if it's a fun/charity event and you're carrying for a buddy than if it's the State Amateur, or carrying for a Pro in a PGA Tour ProAm. [/quote] It's a charity $10,000 per foursome thing for some children's hospital. I know golf management so I'd still like to be able to help out

titleist.gif 910 9.5 Driver titleist.gif 910 F 3 Wood callaway.gif 2009 X Forged Irons 

Before the round, talk to the other caddies and they will help you with the basics.  Be attentive and look to them for signals.

That's what I was hoping to do lol

Any last second info would be appreciated.

Be professional. The old adage for caddies is "show up, keep up, and shut up". Don't try to "club" anyone. Know the pin placements, and ensure you're able to give accurate yardages to the front, center, and back of each green as well as to the pin and carry distances for any bunkers or hazards. Carry a large bath towel and keep half of it wet. Clean every club after every shot. Be aware of everyone's position at all times and stay out of the way. Ask where your player wants you to stand while they play. These guys have paid a LOT of money to play in a high-end event. You're there to help make their experience worth it. Try to anticipate anything that your player may want/need on the course and take care of it before they ask. If you can do that, you'll help them have a great time, and will have done your job. Caddying is hard work. Enjoy yourself, but remember, you're there to work for your player. He shouldn't have to do anything but play golf and enjoy time with his buddies. Everything else is up to you.

In David's bag....

My advice to you would also be to keep a towel half wet and half dry. Drape it over the clubs where they stick out of the bag, but not all the way down the clubheads (keeps the bag from getting damp if the towel hangs from the clubs). Before every shot, wipe down the face and grip of the club with the wet side, then dry them both with the dry side of the towel. The grip is something I started doing for myself recently and it really gives you a "tackier" feel to the grip when it's just been at least partially cleaned.

One thing that I like to do is I'll bring my towel onto the green with me and clean my ball after I have marked it and picked it up. Just gives me a white ball to look at while putting, instead of one that may be partially green or brown.

When tending the pin, don't do what some people do and lean the stick to one side, at least not until the putt has started rolling. If you lean the pin it can give a false impression of where the hole actually is since the "bottom" of the pin that the player can see is not centered in the hole. That being said, I like to hold the pin against the back wall of the cup, centered in relation to the player putting, so that I don't have an issue where it gets stuck in the cup and a two-stroke penalty is incurred.

Finally, just be familiar with the course so that you know a couple tips that may help. One course that I play has a hidden lake just beyond a hill, and a player needs to know about it so they can chose their club for the tee shot appropriately. If the course you're playing at has a couple bunkers that aren't readily visible or has a couple hole where approach shots are much easier from a certain angle, I'm sure your player will greatly appreciate you giving them a little heads up about it.

A couple more stray thoughts.....

When tending the pin, pay attention to your shadow.  Stand so your shadow does not fall across the hole.  Grab the flag so it doesn't flap in the breeze.

WATCH YOUR PLAYERS BALL!  A lost ball is one of the biggest disappointments for any caddie.

Know the rules.  You're part of the players team and a violation on your part can cause your player to be penalized.  Remember, you cannot stand directly behind him while he's putting.

Place the bag where you're going to be exiting the green, not at the very front where you'll have to go back to get it and delay the group playing behind you.

When you get to the players ball, hold the bag with it slightly tilted towards him so he can select his club.  Then back off with the bag.  Again, ask, but most players will prefer that you stand in front of their chest as they're playing.  For this reason, I recommend wiping down each club after he plays his shot, not before.  The club he pulls should always be clean and ready to go.

Take care in raking bunkers.  Smooth the tine marks with the back of the rake.  A properly raked bunker should be in better condition than the rest of the bunker.

Discuss with your fellow caddies, but if possible, one should always head downrange prior to teeing off to forecaddie for the group.

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

A couple more stray thoughts..... When tending the pin, pay attention to your shadow.  Stand so your shadow does not fall across the hole.  Grab the flag so it doesn't flap in the breeze. WATCH YOUR PLAYERS BALL!  A lost ball is one of the biggest disappointments for any caddie. Know the rules.  You're part of the players team and a violation on your part can cause your player to be penalized.  Remember, you cannot stand directly behind him while he's putting. Place the bag where you're going to be exiting the green, not at the very front where you'll have to go back to get it and delay the group playing behind you. When you get to the players ball, hold the bag with it slightly tilted towards him so he can select his club.  Then back off with the bag.  Again, ask, but most players will prefer that you stand in front of their chest as they're playing.  For this reason, I recommend wiping down each club after he plays his shot, not before.  The club he pulls should always be clean and ready to go. Take care in raking bunkers.  Smooth the tine marks with the back of the rake.  A properly raked bunker should be in better condition than the rest of the bunker. Discuss with your fellow caddies, but if possible, one should always head downrange prior to teeing off to forecaddie for the group.

I might be late, but it also might be worth asking your player if he wants you to forecaddie on any holes. There's not a lot for you do to on the tee, so if you can prevent a lost ball (even another player's), it doesn't really hurt.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Any last second info would be appreciated.

Sounds like the tournament is just a fund raiser event and probably a team event where it probably will be a scramble format.

If it is just a fun event for the participant's, then your caddie duties will be limited.

Since you are rendering your services as a volunteer to a total stranger on the day of the event, your duties will be very casual and limited.

You may or may not be riding with the golfer you are assigned.

You will most likely just be caring for the golfers equipment, hand them the club when they ask, or placing the club back into their bag.

Assisting the player when they ask for any.

Mainly just be nice, smile, listen and be attentive during the day.

You should inquire with the person / contact whom organized the volunteers for specific instructions.

Use the other replies as guidelines for casual duties and you will have fun.

Enjoy the day, Club Rat

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Really glad I came upon this thread.

Every year the Symetra Tour has an event at one the local course here,  Last year my buddies went to the event and said that they were having difficulty getting caddies, so, I thought it would be cool to caddie and this year, I signed up.  I've never done this before and there's supposed to be a training but I hope they don't disqualify people if they've never caddied before.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Note: This thread is 3638 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!