IGNORED

Tell me to man up

albatross
Note: This thread is 3623 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have the chance to play Oak Hill in 2 weeks for free.I'm a 15 still, but the three guys I'm playing with are all a 5 or better, and one of them is really good and played on the mini tours. one of them is my good buddy, but the other two who are the best players, I've never met. I know they want to play the back tees, and I'm just worried about playing horrible and holding them up, but my good buddy is saying who cares, it's your chance to play Oak Hill. Would any of you be concerned about what I'm worried about? we have to take a caddy and stuff too, which is also funny for a guy with my lack of talent.

Just play your game bud, play which ever tees you think will give you the most fun.  I'm jealous, Oak Hill would be awesome to play!

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would also advise playing whatever set of tees you would like. My home course has 6000, 6250, 6500 yard tees. Most play the 6259 tees, but I have the most fun playing 6000. Doesn't bother me who I am playing with.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

I appreciate your opinion, but I just feel like it's weird to move up to another tee and hit your shot after the other guys. I think that would make me feel even more strange.

Well then don't worry about the par of each hole.  Just try and get down in as few strokes as possible.  Don't worry about the score.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

I appreciate your opinion, but I just feel like it's weird to move up to another tee and hit your shot after the other guys. I think that would make me feel even more strange.

I don't know. I would think it wouldn't be fun to struggle all day for the sake of something like that. I played TPC sawgrass and Firestone North, and both times I played around 6700 yards. My dad played about 6100-6200 yards. We both had a blast. It didn't bother him a bit to move up. When I play courses like that I want to challenge myself with out making it impossible. My dad CAN NOT play from that far back. He understood it all. 99% of the time, I play up to match what everyone else place. Other times, I'll play longer.

Do what makes you feel comfortable. If it bothers you that much, then play back. If not then I rather play a round that would be enjoyable than a total struggle.

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I have the chance to play Oak Hill in 2 weeks for free.I'm a 15 still, but the three guys I'm playing with are all a 5 or better, and one of them is really good and played on the mini tours. one of them is my good buddy, but the other two who are the best players, I've never met. I know they want to play the back tees, and I'm just worried about playing horrible and holding them up, but my good buddy is saying who cares, it's your chance to play Oak Hill. Would any of you be concerned about what I'm worried about?

we have to take a caddy and stuff too, which is also funny for a guy with my lack of talent.

Don't make golf any more difficult than it needs to be.

Play closest allowed tees.

Yeah playing up is certainly better (for both you and them) than bogging everything down trying to bite off more than you can chew. I usually suggest playing from whatever tees we are all going to be comfortable playing from. I'll have just as much fun with a lot less stress. If part of the group want to split tees that's OK too. Sometimes after a few holes I'm glad I moved up anyway. Especially on a course I haven't played before. ;-)

Im sure the low handicappers have played with lots of guys higher than 15!

1)Dont hold up the group , 2) accept their compliments and 3) dont apologize for your level.

Do NOT feel obligated to plat tees that aren't appropriate for you. I have a LOT more respect for the guy that plays a set of tees that are appropriate over the guy that plays from further than he should. Have fun!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

you guys must be a lot nicer than my friends. Haha. No one here would bust their friend's balls for playing more forward tees than the rest of the group?

I would play the tees in which you are comfortable.

If I was one of the low handicap players and some guy that is a 15 is trying to compete from the tips and is slowing up the game, I'd be pissed.  If he was playing from the shorter tees and struggling, I could accept that.

I'm not a low handicap player but slow play is terrible and can be remedied.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I was golfing with my dad yesterday. My dad is mid capper, I'm high capper but we both played from close men's tees. No probs even for me, when I didn't have my driver with me only hybrids.

We had two new guys come in to the same group at the tee-off time.

One of those new guys was mid-capper, and the other one maybe was mid-capper also, but this second guy was  just terrible at golf. Sorry. He admitted that  he was coming back to the game after a long break so he was quite rusty still.

They both wanted to play from the white tees, where as me and my dad, played from the closest men's tees.

Let's just sum it up politely here. Our group got hassled by the course marshall for slow play.

The real reason I suspect was the poor shots from the white tees, that these two other guys were taking. A few OB shots, spare ball into play etc...

Our finish time was just over 2hrs for 9 holes.

Lol I just hope that these two guys don't visit the forums much. That would be embarrassing, but what can you do really?

Do you feel it's polite to complain to a guy face to face, that he's playing too slow?

Is it against golf rules to complain to your opponent like that, even for slowness or too difficult tees?

you guys must be a lot nicer than my friends. Haha. No one here would bust their friend's balls for playing more forward tees than the rest of the group?

Why would anybody want to do that? Something like an injury could happen and any one of us might be right up there with them.

I would come much closer to busting my friend's balls for playing tees that were too long for them to handle. Sometimes the slowest players on the course are guys that can hit the ball plenty far enough to play the back tees but nowhere close to accurate enough to be playing back there.

(You know the type. The ones that brag about how far they just hit the ball that went 40 yards over the green, hit every club as hard as they can hit it, and score 10 strokes higher than they should).

Why would anybody want to do that? Something like an injury could happen and any one of us might be right up there with them.

I would come much closer to busting my friend's balls for playing tees that were too long for them to handle. Sometimes the slowest players on the course are guys that can hit the ball plenty far enough to play the back tees but nowhere close to accurate enough to be playing back there.

(You know the type. The ones that brag about how far they just hit the ball that went 40 yards over the green, hit every club as hard as they can hit it, and score 10 strokes higher than they should).

I hear what you're saying, but I've played a lot of golf, with a lot of different skilled players in the same group, and I have never seen guys play different sets of tees (except for seniors).  It sounds like a lot of you guys do it that way, but it's just something that I don't see.

I played yesterday with a friend and we got paired with another twosome. My friend is a bit higher handicap than I am, and we ALWAYS play from the whites, it's the appropriate tee for us. One of the guys we played with was quite good (claimed to be a 1.8, but I would guess more like a 4). He could absolutely bomb it off the tee. He played from the whites with us, but probably should have played the blues (back tees). I actually think it would have been more enjoyable not having his drive be 50-100 yards closer to the pin than the rest of ours. While I don't begrudge him playing from the whites, there would have be zero issue playing from different tee boxes.

... we have to take a caddy and stuff too, which is also funny for a guy with my lack of talent.

If you get an experienced caddie, enjoy it. A good caddie can save you 3 to 5 strokes a round on a new course.

Also, play the middle tees. You'll enjoy it more.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Note: This thread is 3623 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!