IGNORED

4-wood or 17º hybrid

Note: This thread is 3629 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have a Tour Edge Exotics XCG3 4-wood 16.5º loft with a Fujikura Motore S-flex shaft in my bag that I am inconsistent with... I picked up an Adams Idea Super Hybrid with 17º loft... I seem to hit it better... though I balloon it a little... but I consistently hit it 230-240... I hit my 2-iron 220-225 ish... Should I dump the 4-wood for the hybrid or leave the 4-wood and dump the chicken stick?

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

How far do you hit the 4W? And, what do you mean by inconsistent? Do you  have a Left or Right tail from shot to shot, miss every other 4W shot off the fairway, or what?

Is the "chicken stick" the 2i or the 17* hybrid?

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I hit my 4w 235-245 when I catch it well... but I miss it every which way... inconsistent misses... its good off the tee but off the fairway a lot of duck hooks and slices when I do catch it I balloon it... the chicken stick is the 2-iron its digging in a little bit...but its consistently straight... and high... but a little inconsistent off the tee with distance

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

If you only hit the wood 5 yards farther, then dump it. I use the same hybrid and it flies about as far as I ever need it to with a strong 3 or 15˚ hybrid backing it up. I basically use the hybrid off the deck to attack par 5s and off the tee to give me position and height. Sometimes it's the only wood I carry besides my driver or even at all.

As far as the 2 iron, I have one but don't like it that much. It's really not that necessary to carry the 2 even in winds and courses with tight fairways, and the 3 can do most of what I require more consistently. I can be more aggressive with the hybrid distance wise and the iron is a lot less forgiving, really only good when I'm having a great ballstriking day when I'm unlikely to need help finding fairways. Then there's the whole matter of launching it from the deck without thinning it, which the hybrid performs brilliantly and the iron horrendously. It works for some people but there are too many drawbacks to give it a permanent spot in my bag at least. Give it some time with the hybrid and I expect you may find it to be very versatile.

I'd also check that you're doing keys #2 and #3 well, since funky yardages and trajectories in the long game can be an issue of dynamic loft and AOA being out of whack. You can get away with both on tee shots and with more lofted clubs a bit, or compensate with your setup, but the long clubs off the ground are demanding.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

• 2 weeks later...
UPDATE: I went to the range... and found out on that I hit all three well with some practice... I don't know what to dump now... I may dump the 4 wood and 2-iron an maybe add another wedge or hybrid but that's a different thread...

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Note: This thread is 3629 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!