IGNORED

My Swing (dbrock504)

dbrock504
Note: This thread is 3633 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 4 years. After my baseball "career" ended when I was 17 to an ACL tear sliding into home, I decided to pick up a golf club for the first time. I really didn't start playing golf seriously on real courses until 2.5 years ago.

My current handicap index or average score is: In 2014 as of 5/6/14, my avg score is 96, 5 GIR, 34 putts

My typical ball flight is: irons- perfect or a slight draw, driver/wood- straight or hook

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: The insane inconsistencies off of the tee box mainly with the driver. 3 Wood is better, but not by much.

Photos: I only have still shots from practice some time in the month of 2/14 that my buddy took for me. I will get videos soon and upload them regularly. I really don't have any "issues" with my mid-low irons. These pictures are with my 6 iron. I push my 4 iron regularly and sometimes push the 5. Sorry they are all out of order.

I don't know how they got all out of order. Any comments would be appreciated fellas. More videos and updates to come!

Dylan

Twitter: @d_brock504

A little history on my game for you:

Before I got this new driver 2 weeks ago, it is not uncommon for me to take 7 or 8 drops (14-16 additional strokes to the scorecard) off the tee box in 15 tee boxes. I do loose about 2-3 balls off of mishits, shanks, etc. with my long irons and hybrid into the woods and I can't find it or into a hazard, but that happens...

When I started playing golf 4 years ago, I was taught the "traditional" way (drive for show, putt for doe). I got lessons on putting and chipping and focused everything on putting, once I began to be a <40 putter, I moved on to chipping. Once I started putting myself in positions to get up and down more often, I moved to pitching. So on and so forth. Consequently, my overall score is terrible. I couldn't break 100 for 3.5 years because I couldn't get off the tee box accurately enough to not have to take a drop. I bought a good driver (Ping G10) but never could hit it. I put 2 different shafts in it (ProLaunch Platinum & Aldila VS) hoping to get different results and all it did was make things worse. My 3 wood is better, so I decided to put the driver in the bag until I could get a new driver. 4 months passed and I was immediately playing in the mid-high 90's now that my driving accuracy increased. The 3 wood still wasn't good as my fairway accuracy was around 45% with it (driver is around 30%). Distance was never an issue.

About 2 weeks ago, I went and got fit for a driver and bought a new (used) Callaway X Hot 9.5* Stiff flex driver. I've played 3 round with it and so far it has looked like:

*First time playing with new club*: 18 holes at The Republic in San Antonio, TX- (never played there before) shot a 96. 62% accuracy 4 GIR 41 putts (bad putting).

Went to range next day hit 100 balls with it.

*Second time playing with it*: 9 holes on an easy course (Quail Creek)- (usually shoot +13- +15 on their front 9). Shot +7. 71% accuracy 3 GIR 17 putts. wasn't worried about putting really. I went to play with the driver.

*Third time playing with it*: Plum Creek in Kyle, TX (pretty tough course)-  My best there is a 98 (avg 101) with 5 GIR with 33 putts. I shot a 92. 57% accuracy 5 GIR 32 putts.

So in seeing that, driver accuracy is essential. I more times than not hit the green or fringe (not necessarily close to the pin) 150 and in (8i-SW). My GIR would go up if I didn't take so many drops off the tee box. I am playing much, much better golf with this new Callaway AND slowing down. I don't know why, but I always get really quick and try to crush it off the tee box. I don't do that with my irons... As I get used to this driver and continue to swing smooth, I expect to be in the high 80's real soon. You guys are right though. Assuming you have a decent enough short game, long game proves to be more important to your overall score. Sure I am a mid-low 30's putter, but I shoot in the mid 90's typically.

My theory is if I shoot in the mid- high 90's now with that horrendous driving, I can be shooting in the low 80's if I take back every single dropped ball off the tee box (96 total avg in 2014 - 14 avg strokes= 82). Now I obviously don't expect to never loose a ball or be 100% accuracy off the tee box, but if I only loose 2 balls instead of 7 off the tee box, that's an 86!

My typical distances are:

Driver- 275+

3wood- 250-275

3hybrid- 200-220

4i- 200- 210

5i- 180-190

6i- 170-180

7i- 160-170

8i- 150-160

9i- 140-150

PW- 120-140

AW- 80-110

SW- green-80

Dylan

• Administrator

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yep I agree. I would move the ball forward. 6 iron should be about in between the middle of your stance and your front foot.

I would lay down two clubs on the ground in a cross shape so you know where you are aiming and where the ball should be placed. From there just try to work on making contact with the ball with the new ball position.

Once you get decent contact with the new ball position, I would then video tape your swing and post it.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Yep I agree. I would move the ball forward. 6 iron should be about in between the middle of your stance and your front foot.

I would lay down two clubs on the ground in a cross shape so you know where you are aiming and where the ball should be placed. From there just try to work on making contact with the ball with the new ball position.

Once you get decent contact with the new ball position, I would then video tape your swing and post it.

Hm. That's interesting. I was just telling Erik that I was told to do that the longer iron you go. Seems to work for me. I play everything else (7-SW) in the middle of my stance. I play the 5i a little further back from the 6 and the 4 even further from the 5. 3 Hybrid in the middle. 3 wood and driver off front heel. Thanks for the tip. Didn't realize that was wrong

Dylan

I was just telling Erik that I was told to do that the longer iron you go.

I'm not sure where you got that information, but these guys are right. I can't recall ever reading to move the ball back as the irons get longer, tbh.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I'm not sure where you got that information, but these guys are right. I can't recall ever reading to move the ball back as the irons get longer, tbh.

Ya, apparently I got that mixed up in my head some how. You're supposed to move them FORWARD as the length of the club increases as Erik has noted. That's my fault. Moving it toward the center of my stance will create no issues at all. Thanks for the feedback @billchao

Dylan

• Administrator
Moving it toward the center of my stance will create no issues at all.

Yes it will. You're not going to get away with your big flip (shaft lining up with your lead shoulder before impact).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Yes it will. You're not going to get away with your big flip (shaft lining up with your lead shoulder before impact).

I guess we'll see, now won't we? It doesn't create issues with my other clubs when I play out of the middle. My 8 iron I play directly in the middle of my stance, and it is the best club in my bag. Then again, what do I know? I will add pics soon.

Dylan

Well-You didn't know enough to know that you move the ball up in your stance with longer clubs-So Im gonna go ahead and guess "less than a lot of golfers, let alone a guy who seems to be a good golf instructor." for $600, Alex![quote name="dbrock504" url="/t/74392/my-swing-dbrock504#post_986850"] Then again, what do I know? [/quote]
  • Upvote 2

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Well-You didn't know enough to know that you move the ball up in your stance with longer clubs-So Im gonna go ahead and guess "less than a lot of golfers, let alone a guy who seems to be a good golf instructor." for $600, Alex!

Exactly.

Dylan

Not sure you picked up what I was puttin' down.[quote name="dbrock504" url="/t/74392/my-swing-dbrock504#post_986865"] Exactly. [/quote]

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

[QUOTE name="iacas" url="/t/74392/my-swing-dbrock504#post_986846"]   Yes it will. You're not going to get away with your big flip (shaft lining up with your lead shoulder before impact). [/QUOTE] I guess we'll see, now won't we? It doesn't create issues with my other clubs when I play out of the middle. My 8 iron I play directly in the middle of my stance, and it is the best club in my bag. Then again, what do I know? I will add pics soon.

Really? Your average score is 96? Sounds like some issues to me. You post pics and ask for advice, but then get defensive when it is given? Not a good way to get more help in the future.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Really? Your average score is 96? Sounds like some issues to me.

You post pics and ask for advice, but then get defensive when it is given? Not a good way to get more help in the future.

I'm not being defensive, sir. I literally admitted I do not know as much as I thought I did here and thanked the guys for the feedback. I appreciate all input. It will only make me a better golfer.

Dylan

[QUOTE name="14ledo81" url="/t/74392/my-swing-dbrock504#post_986868"] Really? Your average score is 96? Sounds like some issues to me. You post pics and ask for advice, but then get defensive when it is given? Not a good way to get more help in the future.[/QUOTE] I'm not being defensive, sir. I literally admitted I do not know as much as I thought I did here and thanked the guys for the feedback. I appreciate all input. It will only make me a better golfer.

I hope that is the case. If so, I apologize. The regulars on here realize how valuable Erik and Mikes input is. Personal pet peeve of mine when they give that advice freely, and the recipient either argues or ignores it.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

I hope that is the case. If so, I apologize.

The regulars on here realize how valuable Erik and Mikes input is. Personal pet peeve of mine when they give that advice freely, and the recipient either argues or ignores it.

Well I don't mind arguing it. Difference of opinion breeds growth. The problem is when a person shows intent to try to take their consideration then out right not implement it, then out right complain about why they are failing, Ala Kyle. A bit of a difference there.

Yea, I would ease off a bit here. If @dbrock504 really wants improve his knowledge of the golf swing, he's come to the right place. Hopefully he'll learn a few things and improve his golf game.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I hope that is the case. If so, I apologize.

The regulars on here realize how valuable Erik and Mikes input is. Personal pet peeve of mine when they give that advice freely, and the recipient either argues or ignores it.

Yes sir, there was no sarcasm there. Although, I do see how that could have been seen that way. I'm excited to get better! I already did haha. Going to move the ball up in the stance tomorrow. And yes, I very much so agree with the bolded sentence.

Well I don't mind arguing it. Difference of opinion breeds growth. The problem is when a person shows intent to try to take their consideration then out right not implement it, then out right complain about why they are failing, Ala Kyle. A bit of a difference there.

Yea, I would ease off a bit here. If @dbrock504 really wants improve his knowledge of the golf swing, he's come to the right place. Hopefully he'll learn a few things and improve his golf game.

I agree. I did come to the right place. You guys have more knowledge than I can get elsewhere, that's for sure. Hence why I got an account a week ago or so and posted 150 times already as well as posting a "my swing" thread. I appreciate y'all's input.

Dylan

Note: This thread is 3633 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!