IGNORED

What is Wrong with Phil

CarlSpackler
Note: This thread is 3610 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So Phil has missed another big cut. Despite an awesome round last Saturday at the Wells Fargo, he otherwise can't seem to make a putt. Several times yesterday he had to thread a shot through some trees from the pine straw. I notice a "loop" in his transition out of the backswing. I noticed this also way back when he was "The Best Player Without a Major". Perhaps some of the swing doctors on here can elaborate with proper terminology. His big problem seems to be putting though. He had a 4 putt from 6' last weekend! Is it a confidence thing? So... What the heck is wrong with Phil?!

- Shane

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

He only cares about the majors now. Didn't do well at Augusta but I expect him to contend at the US Open and British Open this year.

His putting can at times be suspect, I don't believe that style of putter helps his or any one putting. The tendency is open at contact. I think PM should have abandoned that in favor of numerous designs like toe and heel weighted putters or center shaft. As a Callaway/oddesey you figure he would have pick of the litter. The up and down play can be his arthritis and inflammation acting up. He's no spring chicken either.

Easy to grind out every shot of every round when in mid-20s....not so much in mid-40s....the difference between good and bad on tour is a very fine line

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

He's gonna be 44 this year. That's what wrong. Once you get into your early-mid-late 40s, it's a lot harder to be consistent and play at a high level week in and week out. Jack really struggled when he got into his 40s as well. He was nowhere near the golfer he used to be. Same with Watson, Trevino and Palmer. That's why you have to give big kudos to guys like Furyk who shows up high on the leaderboard week in and week out.

Ernie Els, David Toms, Retief Goosen....they're all going through the same stretch as well. It's not easy in your 40s. A lot of guys who do good in their 40s don't do as well in the early part of their careers, like Kenny Perry and Fred Funk. It's just hard to stay consistent from the time you're 22 to the time you're 50.

It seems to be his putter that is killing him though. Call me crazy, but I still think Phil has the ability to compete week in and out on tour. I think the problem is in his head. His eyes just don't show concentration, focus or confidence.

- Shane

Most of the legends of the game will tell you that it was their putting that took the biggest hit in their 40s. The nerves of steel that you have at 30 just aren't there at 45. Heck, Watson and Arnie never won a major past 34.

I think Phil will continue to compete in certain events for the next 5-8 years but the days of him being a potential contender in every event that he enters seem over. That said, he will likely be competitive at Augusta for the next 10 years so I wouldn't be surprised to see him sneak out another major win or two.

I also wonder with as much talent that is coming up the ranks now, and how golf has changed even during Phil's career with technology, is it harder to compete?  Does this play into the equation?  I think it does a bit.  I still think, given the course, and if Phil is "on" that weekend he can get a few more.  But I don't see Phil as a consistent contender like he once was ... age is a bitch and will humble us all at some point ... but one thing is for sure, I will pulling for lefty every week he tees it up!

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

He's getting older, his physical problems (arthiritis) can be debilitating and. frankly, I think he is generally content with his life. I expect him to grind at Pinehurst, but that is all he cares about at this point.

Bill M

Most of the legends of the game will tell you that it was their putting that took the biggest hit in their 40s. The nerves of steel that you have at 30 just aren't there at 45. Heck, Watson and Arnie never won a major past 34.

That just seems weird to me. Phil is a year older than me, and more and more, my putting is what saves me as my tee shots get shorter. I always pictured the wiley old veterans being the strongest on the greens whilst the young uns rip it off the tee, etc.

- Shane

He just doesn't seem to have the fire anymore.

In my bag Driver: Cleveland CG tour black Fairway Woods: Diablo Octane 3 wood; Diablo 5 wood Irons: Mizuno MP53 5-9 Hybrid: Cobra 3, 4 T-Rail Wedge: 46* Cleveland, 50* Cleveland, 54* Titleist, 60* Titleist Putter: Odyssey protype #6 Ball: Maxfli U4/U6... But I'm not really picky about the ball I use.

He just doesn't seem to have the fire anymore.

He's been playing professional golf for 22 years. He has a wife who was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2009. He has 3 kids and has battled psoriatic arthritis. A professional golfer typically practices 6 hours a day between playing, practicing and working out. He is 43 years old. His estimated net worth is somewhere around $180 million. He is considered among the most successful golfers of all time by his earnings.

Where do you think his "fire" went? He got older. Golf is not the only thing in life. Plus, what more do you want from the guy? What more can he win? He has won 5 majors. What does he have to prove?

• Upvote 1

Dylan

Twitter: @d_brock504

So Phil has missed another big cut. Despite an awesome round last Saturday at the Wells Fargo, he otherwise can't seem to make a putt. Several times yesterday he had to thread a shot through some trees from the pine straw. I notice a "loop" in his transition out of the backswing. I noticed this also way back when he was "The Best Player Without a Major". Perhaps some of the swing doctors on here can elaborate with proper terminology. His big problem seems to be putting though. He had a 4 putt from 6' last weekend! Is it a confidence thing?

So... What the heck is wrong with Phil?!

He's in his mid 40's, has to take medication for a difficult form of arthritis, and has mostly had his day in the sun.  Aging happens to everyone eventually.  He really has nothing left to prove.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

• 3 weeks later...

He's been playing professional golf for 22 years. He has a wife who was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2009. He has 3 kids and has battled psoriatic arthritis. A professional golfer typically practices 6 hours a day between playing, practicing and working out. He is 43 years old. His estimated net worth is somewhere around $180 million. He is considered among the most successful golfers of all time by his earnings.

Where do you think his "fire" went? He got older. Golf is not the only thing in life. Plus, what more do you want from the guy? What more can he win? He has won 5 majors. What does he have to prove?

I don't want anything from Phil and he doesn't have to prove anything to anyone, and certainly not to me. I'm one of his biggest fan. I was just answering a question.

Why are you so demonstrative?

In my bag Driver: Cleveland CG tour black Fairway Woods: Diablo Octane 3 wood; Diablo 5 wood Irons: Mizuno MP53 5-9 Hybrid: Cobra 3, 4 T-Rail Wedge: 46* Cleveland, 50* Cleveland, 54* Titleist, 60* Titleist Putter: Odyssey protype #6 Ball: Maxfli U4/U6... But I'm not really picky about the ball I use.

I was standing at 18 when he finished his round today. Even though he played decent all week, not stellar, he was smiling and playing with the mob following. He hit some crazy good shots all week. ...and some not so good.

- Shane

I was standing at 18 when he finished his round today. Even though he played decent all week, not stellar, he was smiling and playing with the mob following. He hit some crazy good shots all week. ...and some not so good.

I was behind the green when he hit that bunker shot for par. I believe it was hole 14, it was on Thursday. He was walking to the next tee and he fist pumped a little kid. Just a very cool moment, the kid was ecstatic.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I was behind the green when he hit that bunker shot for par. I believe it was hole 14, it was on Thursday. He was walking to the next tee and he fist pumped a little kid. Just a very cool moment, the kid was ecstatic.

He was fist bumping kids all week. He loves the mob and the mob loves him. There was a constant commotion about him, even though he was never in contention.

- Shane

Note: This thread is 3610 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!