IGNORED

Painful blisters- broken skin, will it ever end?

Note: This thread is 3608 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Painful blisters happened to me at the range today. Rigjtie side golfer. I use overlap vardon grip. I wear gloves in both hands ostensibly to prevent blisters at the base of my fingers on the palm side of the hand. HOWEVER THIS TIME the blisters came into my left forefinger. Blisters on left forefinger at the dorsal side of the hand. Specifically blisters are at the first joint and second joint of the forefinger. Left hand forefinger. Presumably the blisters occured due to vardon overlap pinkie finger of the right hand.

I use the overlap grip and have no problem with blisters. Here is what I would do.

Check your grips to make sure they are not old. If they slip that creates friction

Increased load of hitting shots could cause blisters if you are not use to it and didn't stop in time. My hand has a good amount of calluses on them from hitting golf shots. I knew when it give my hands a break. If my hands are overly sore, I wont hit golf balls for a few days. I might use some hand lotion to help take the roughness out of them.

Oh I don't wear any gloves.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

How can i control the club proprely and get the added power from the wrists when gripping so lightly!? Grips on clubs are brand new. I will try swing without gloves next time. Get more tactile feeling i suppose. Other than that, gotta work on ballstriking andsuch basics as a high hcp player. I have to get pro lession soon.

How can i control the club proprely and get the added power from the wrists when gripping so lightly!?

Grips on clubs are brand new.

I will try swing without gloves next time. Get more tactile feeling i suppose.

Other than that, gotta work on ballstriking andsuch basics as a high hcp player.

I have to get pro lession soon.

Let me ask you this, how hard are you gripping the club?

It could b the gloves if they are too loose. Then they would slide around, causing friction. Basically blisters are not caused by gripping too hard, but too light. If the club is moving slightly in your hands, then it will cause it to rub the skin, causing a blister.

Your grips might be too small as well, do you just use the standard size grip? Ever thought about using a mid-size?

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

In addition to what @saevel25 has mentioned, check your grip pressure as well.  Squeezing the club too tightly can cause blisters too.

Actually I believe it's quite the opposite. Squeezing too loosely causes the grip to move in your hands as you swing, which causes the rubbing and blisters. Edit: @saevel25 already mentioned it, I need to read before I post.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

How can i verify golf club grip size?

Look on the butt end. Does it have anything that says "Oversized", "Midsized", if not than its a standard grip.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Actually I believe it's quite the opposite. Squeezing too loosely causes the grip to move in your hands as you swing, which causes the rubbing and blisters.

Edit: @saevel25 already mentioned it, I need to read before I post.

That wasn't my experience.  But thinking back I was using grips that were too small as well.  That had much more to do with it I imagine.  I stand by grip pressure being an issue to be looked at however.

Brad

That wasn't my experience.  But thinking back I was using grips that were too small as well.  That had much more to do with it I imagine.  I stand by grip pressure being an issue to be looked at however.

I would bet its opposite of what you think. There has already been great discussion on grip pressure on the forum here. To me grip pressure should always be consistent in the swing. So I would rather see on the tighter side. I remember reading a study once that showed that better players were able to keep similar grip pressure through out the swing. Amateurs would regrip the club at the top. This only shows that amateurs grip too light and have to re grip because the club starts to move out of their hands a bit.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

I would bet its opposite of what you think. There has already been great discussion on grip pressure on the forum here. To me grip pressure should always be consistent in the swing. So I would rather see on the tighter side. I remember reading a study once that showed that better players were able to keep similar grip pressure through out the swing. Amateurs would regrip the club at the top. This only shows that amateurs grip too light and have to re grip because the club starts to move out of their hands a bit.

Which is why I maintained that it needed to be looked at as a possible issue.  I didn't say what pressure it should be.  I agree I was probably incorrect before, my problems most likely stemmed from incorrect grip size .

Too tight a grip is just as much of a problem in my opinion, it restricts free movement of the wrists and forearms.  But that's moving OT for this thread.

Back on topic, OP said he's thinking about lessons with a Pro which I think we will all agree is a great step to take.

Brad

What kind of grips are they? My hands did not like the Golf Pride Tour Velvet that came on my wedge. I recently re-gripped with Pure Pro grips, play a bunch of golf, and have never even come close to a blister. With my old grips (whatever came stock on my Callaway Razr-X's), I would get them on my non-gloved hand all the time. No more with the Pures.

My grips just say golf pride velvet something. It says nothing about size. I can reach around the grip - with all my fingers except pinky - and touch my thumb's base - in my left hand.

I interlock and the only callus I get is on my left pointer finger. If I understand correctly it's the same place you have it(in the middle of the base of the finger and the middle knuckle). It comes from the ring finger on my right hand squeezing the skin of my left pointer finger into the grip or possibly into the left thumb. I have always thought about spreading that out a little or maybe try to not interlock as deep but it just doesn't bother me enough to change it.

James

I was getting blisters on my Non glove hand awhile back. What I found was that I was gripping to lightly, and the club was moving in my hands. I got blisters on the inside of my thumb, and on the outside of my index finger, I use an interlocking grip. Since I've gripped my clubs a tad firmer, no more blisters. Also I now grip with more of the club in my fingers.

Thx guys I will try to grip it tighter. I use overlap style grip. The blisters on my left hand forefinger (pointer) must come from the right hand pinkie finger (remember pinkie overlaps the forefinger) OR actually, blisters may be caused by right hand ringfinger. Left hand forefinger must stay next to, right hand ringfinger in overlap grip, rite guys?

Note: This thread is 3608 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!