IGNORED

I'd Be Scratch with a Better Mental Game

Note: This thread is 2948 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Hole 1: Good driver, bladed a wedge that rolled 120 yards to 10 feet

Hole 2: Pull-hooked into a hazard, three-putt

Hole 3: Thin driver to forward tee, hybrid to my 3W, topped the ball so badly it went straight down into the ground (he had to dig it out with a tee), blade 3W next shot

Hole 4: Hybrid, wedge, par.

Hole 5: Hybrid, wedge into hazard over the back of the green.

Hole 6: Push that bounced onto green, two putts.

Hole 7: Pull-hook to shit on the left. Makes a 7 or 8 from there.

Hole 8: Pull-draw. "Figured out that he has to hit quickly after his practice swing" and pipes one. Plays that. Makes routine par with second ball.

Hole 9: Pull-hook into the crap. Has to pitch out.

Hole 10: Skipped for now.

Hole 11: Routine par.

Hole 12: Driver pulled into hazard. Third shot thinned into another hazard. Then played off a tree. Short of the green with the next shot.

Hole 13: Flare 30° right. Three chips to get back to the fairway.

Hole 14: Pull-draw to left bunker. Thins ball over green. Good pitch, putt for bogey.

Hole 15…

I give up. At some point (I believe on hole 12), he tells me "I would be a scratch golfer if I could just have a good mental game."

I could not hold it in any more, and said "no, you wouldn't. C'mon. Be honest with yourself."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yep. The mental game barely exists when you stink at this game. That's a luxury for decent-to-good players IMO.

• Upvote 1

Constantine

Delusional golfers!!!

:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Hole 1: Good driver, bladed a wedge that rolled 120 yards to 10 feet Hole 2: Pull-hooked into a hazard, three-putt Hole 3: Thin driver to forward tee, hybrid to my 3W, topped the ball so badly it went straight down into the ground, blade 3W next shot Hole 4: Hybrid, wedge, par. Hole 5: Hybrid, wedge into hazard over the back of the green. Hole 6: Push that bounced onto green, two putts. Hole 7: Pull-hook to shit on the left. Makes a 7 or 8 from there. Hole 8: Pull-draw. "Figured out that he has to hit quickly after his practice swing" and pipes one. Plays that. Makes routine par with second ball. Hole 9: Pull-hook into the crap. Has to pitch out. Hole 10: Skipped for now. Hole 11: Routine par. Hole 12: Driver pulled into hazard. Third shot thinned into another hazard. Then played off a tree. Short of the green with the next shot. Hole 13: Flare 30° right. Three chips to get back to the fairway. Hole 14: Pull-draw to left bunker. Thins ball over green. Good pitch, putt for bogey. Hole 15… I give up. At some point (I believe on hole 12), he tells me "I would be a scratch golfer if I could just have a good mental game." I could not hold it in any more, and said "no, you wouldn't. C'mon. Be honest with yourself."

Did you golf with my father today

At some point (I believe on hole 12), he tells me "I would be a scratch golfer if I could just have a good mental game."

You just can't make up stuff like that..... :-$

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Finally, someone more delusional than myself! Or...wait...? ;)

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

• Administrator

He was dead super serious too.

I don't get people sometimes.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Maybe he meant "if I were a scratch golfer, I'd have a better mental game"? Probably not what he meant.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I hate when my "mental game" tells me to hit pull hooks, tops, thins or 3 putts like that and it turns out to be a bad decision.

@iacas......lol! I think I've played with that guy! Did this guy say anything to you regarding your game? Did he even realize he was playing with a skilled golfer? Similar scenario I had, guy was just all over the place, never even close to par. I'm 4over headed to 18 guy says " play this hole...for drinks?" I made the mistake of suggesting I give him a stroke....he grins and says " ha! Don't need it...lets go!" I par......he fires a snowman. "Thanks buddy, nice playing with ya" I said. He responded " yeah....you got me on that one.....but I think overall we were pretty close." Different worlds.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

With a better mental game :doh: .  Yeah like pay attention would be a good place to start.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

He was dead super serious too.

I don't get people sometimes.

Very strange, but a very common thought amongst golfers.

Did he know you are an instructor?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I give up. At some point (I believe on hole 12), he tells me "I would be a scratch golfer if I could just have a good mental game."

Yeah thinking happy thoughts is going to change those path and face issues.

@iacas......lol! I think I've played with that guy! Did this guy say anything to you regarding your game? Did he even realize he was playing with a skilled golfer?

lol yeah I think we all have. Probably just thinks Erik has a better mental game than him.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• Administrator

He knew I was an instructor. We'd worked with him in the past… four years ago or so. After a few lessons he'd learned all he thought he could learn, to the point where he started giving lessons to his friends…

Well... my lasr round went little bit sour as well. I had many wasted strokes due to topping the ball and some hooks as well. But I only lost 2 balls on the full-18. So i avoided the water quite nicely. Those balls flew into the thick of the forest. And i made an amazing rescue shot from the deep woods - from a really bad lie - it was like a rock formation with moss and it was sunken deep down there... This hole was a par4 teeshot too short. Approach overshot into the forest. The ball flew exactly past branches, rolled to the green about 6 yards from flag... Long par putt, and I sunk it... :D

The lack of self-awareness of people in general... sigh...

By strong mentally, he probably thinks @iacas is telekinetic, jedi master moving the ball.

What was his response to your be honest with yourself? Denial?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

What was his response to your be honest with yourself? Denial?

Probably walked over to the nearest sand trap and did this:

Constantine

He knew I was an instructor. We'd worked with him in the past… four years ago or so. After a few lessons he'd learned all he thought he could learn, to the point where he started giving lessons to his friends…

How do his friends play? I hope they're at least injury free? :-\ That's more dangerous than the scratch part, I think.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Note: This thread is 2948 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!