IGNORED

where does the power come from in the golf swing?

Note: This thread is 3627 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

How can I drive the ball farther?

Where in the body do you want to feel strong to get those extra yards?

I dont want this topic to turn into some TGM power accumulator mumbo jumbo crap. So no TGM explanations please.

More lag with a more aggressive release? I really can't hit it much further on command but they few extra yards I get it FEELS like all the energy is releasing after the ball.

- Jered

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Higher swing speed, combined with having your arms and body in sync. Easy to say, not so easy to do..lol

I think everyone has a different feel where power comes from.

For me I generate my distance from full unrestricted pelvic turn and there is a chain sequence of energy transferred to my clubshaft.

However I need strong forearms and hands to hang onto this torque not neccessary to add to it.

Weight transfer timing and speed I suppose.

For me it's not wrist cock because I don't intentionally cock my wrists.

It's not a lot of lag because I only have what the force of the swing naturally creates.

It's not length of swing because I never get close to parallel.

It's not strength because I lift about 3/4 of what I could lift when I first started playing but can hit the ball just as far.

It's not "a technically good golf swing" because I don't have one.

I have fast hands and know how to transfer my weight and that's about it but I can hit a ball further than average for my age. Much further with short clubs and a little further with long clubs.

I don't know. I could always hit hard, throw hard, and run fast.

(Meh. Doesn't do much good on the days when I don't know where it's going).

Power in the golf swing comes through a few different things in my opinion

Arm speed

Wrist hinge (backswing)

lag downswing

Keeping posture angles on impact

Here is a video of how to increase your club head speed using the wrists and although I would not advocate too much wrist action in the golf swing if you have no wrist action through impact at all then you may need to build some in first before you can control it.  The first tip is how to build it in and then second is how to control it.

Well they told me ones that your big back muscles or most important.

In your backswing you wind up and on the downswing let go

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

Weight transfer timing and speed I suppose.

For me it's not wrist cock because I don't intentionally cock my wrists.

It's not a lot of lag because I only have what the force of the swing naturally creates.

It's not length of swing because I never get close to parallel.

It's not strength because I lift about 3/4 of what I could lift when I first started playing but can hit the ball just as far.

It's not "a technically good golf swing" because I don't have one.

I have fast hands and know how to transfer my weight and that's about it but I can hit a ball further than average for my age. Much further with short clubs and a little further with long clubs.

I don't know. I could always hit hard, throw hard, and run fast.

(Meh. Doesn't do much good on the days when I don't know where it's going).

There seem to be different types of swings for power. Compare J.B. Holmes's swing to Rory McIlroy's swing. Rory has that notable fast hip turn and such.

But J.B. Holmes somehow is able to smash the ball a long ways as well...

Thanks all. Proper sequencing is more important to maximize speed. I tend to be too handsy and hippy in my golf motion. I will try to strengthen my core with flexible stretches for my spine and do pelvic and upper thorax exercises.

From what I have gathered from online you just need to be faster and more in sync with your feet, legs, hips, core, chest, shoulders, arms, wrist and hands and the club head should go quicker and generate more speed. That's my current swing thought at least.

On a more serious note I think it's just lag position but I am not an expert. I have just realized I am casting and it is hurting my swing so I have been looking at a lot of stuff online and the best I can tell it seems like a lot of pros keep their right arm bent, pull it into their right hip with the forward shift, then they start to bring that elbow in front of them with the arm still bent, keep it bent until the hands get in front of the ball, and then release it which gets the hands, wrist and right arm generating more speed at contact. But who knows. I am just trying to participate on the discussion and right now I may start swinging left handed with how I am feeling over the ball.

James

From what I have gathered from online you just need to be faster and more in sync with your feet, legs, hips, core, chest, shoulders, arms, wrist and hands and the club head should go quicker and generate more speed. That's my current swing thought at least.

On a more serious note I think it's just lag position but I am not an expert. I have just realized I am casting and it is hurting my swing so I have been looking at a lot of stuff online and the best I can tell it seems like a lot of pros keep their right arm bent, pull it into their right hip with the forward shift, then they start to bring that elbow in front of them with the arm still bent, keep it bent until the hands get in front of the ball, and then release it which gets the hands, wrist and right arm generating more speed at contact. But who knows. I am just trying to participate on the discussion and right now I may start swinging left handed with how I am feeling over the ball.

This drill may help. Do it SLOW, then after awhile try full swings, but slow until you feel comfy.

http://purestrike5sk.com/videos.php#video_playback

This drill may help. Do it SLOW, then after awhile try full swings, but slow until you feel comfy.

http://purestrike5sk.com/videos.php#video_playback

That link just takes me to all 5sk videos with a random rotating video up top. If you are talking about the "2 ball drill" though, I found it last night after trying tons of stuff and will be doing it soon. If you are talking about a different one let me know. Today is the only day all week I can't hit the range so probably give it a try tomorrow. I want to see if it will help for sure because I don't seem to cast from the top, I hold the lag for a little while but seem to straighten out around my right pocket. So to keep somewhat on topic here, that is where my power goes when I don't have it. Apparently I am putting it in my right pocket for later.

James

As with anything in golf it is tough to say what someone should do. You can say, "Oh feel the wrists be looser", well what happens if their wrists are already pretty loose? What if someone says, "Oh you need more lag". Well what happens if trying to get more lag causes them to not release any power at all because they are holding on too long?

Just saying that feel isn't always real, and what might be general tips, like stated above in those videos might not work at all. In fact they might even cause more problems in the golf swing.

I would say for more power in the golf swing

1) Height. Generally taller golfers hit it farther. They have longer arms, they can produce a wider arc, they can generate more speed with less hip rotation.

2) Hip rotation. This is generally the Rory swing. Fast hips, just pounds the ball.

3) Fast Hands or Wrists, look at Sadlowski on the long driver tournaments.

As for me, I prefer maxing out Hip Rotation. When I bomb it the most, I get my hips rotating aggressively, and my arms NEVER feel like they are speeding through the finish. They always feel like they are slowing down. This way I know I am maxing my speed at impact. Clubhead speed is always a bell curve when graphed versus time, meaning MAX speed is always when acceleration is zero. If you are still accelerating through the ball then you are not maximizing distance. This is usually achieved by having the left shoulder, the left hand, and the clubhead inline with each other at impact. Max speed will occur at the bottom of the swing arc. So to achieve that, the ball MUST be forward. The hands can slightly lead the clubhead, but should never trail the clubhead at impact.

You could get more speed by flipping the hands at the ball, but this is pure timing and you will probably wont get much out of it with out a lot of practice. Basically majority of the time you will end up loosing distance and accuracy. If you do catch one it will probably go a long way. So for me I prefer trying to max out at number 2, hip rotation. It takes the least timing, and you can ensure better contact and more consistent power.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Dbrock504 I will that a try tonight at the range ... I do find the easier I try, the better I do!

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Dbrock504 I will that a try tonight at the range ... I do find the easier I try, the better I do!

That's all I'm sayin! Some people tend to over think things and make things more complicated. Swing easy. Those tips (along with proper lessons to ensure I'm doing other things correctly) brought me from 93 to 105

Dylan

Twitter: @d_brock504

Note: This thread is 3627 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!