IGNORED

The real differences in the Titleist golf balls

Note: This thread is 3604 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

@dbrock504 That picture doesn't prove much about the ball. I can do that with any ball if the green is soft enough because I come in high. Speaking of greens, I imagine that one has seen better days. I played on a course today that greens were hard as a rock. I hit 3 greens in the middle that rolled off the back with high soaring irons. Are you trying to tell me that this ball will hold that green without any spin on the ball from me.

James

@dbrock504

That picture doesn't prove much about the ball. I can do that with any ball if the green is soft enough because I come in high. Speaking of greens, I imagine that one has seen better days.

I played on a course today that greens were hard as a rock. I hit 3 greens in the middle that rolled off the back with high soaring irons. Are you trying to tell me that this ball will hold that green without any spin on the ball from me.

That is true. Hence why I called it an example. And yes, that green was pretty messed up. I still sunk the putt for birdie, but my ball did move off axis due to that crap. Wasn't a great course.

I don't know if you could hold more greens because I am not there to see your swing (striking down on the ball to create more backspin) and I don't know your launch angles, but I know that I can hold more greens now. I sometimes hit anti spin distance balls (Pinnacle Gold, Callaway X Hot, Titleist Velocity) when I am not hitting as straight as desired off the tee box and I hit the middle of the greens and bounce and roll off the back no matter how soft it is (although it can be really soft and my argument is refuted).

I seem to tend to hit mid-back of the green on my shots to the green (not including chipping), so having that stopping action of these Titleist balls have helped my game tremendously.

I wish I had more pics to send to you to further support my claim here (I did have quite a few more examples from 2 different courses), but I was there to play golf (and break 90) and not to practice my photography skills. Another example for you: Par 3 151 yds no wind 8 iron landed about 4 ft directly behind the pin (I thought I was going to hole-in-one it!!), rolled out about the same distance pictured earlier (8" or so) and left me with a 5 ft putt for a birdie.

If you aren't striking the ball properly creating a desired spin to hold the green, you won't stick it no matter what ball you are using. Remember, it's just a golf ball. Some are designed to do certain things more so than others, but it's just a ball. How you strike it means much more than the core, layers, cover, dimples, etc.

Dylan

Twitter: @d_brock504

Played a round today with a Pro v1x I found my previous time out and managed to hang onto it the entire round.  I think I will pick up a box (regular, not v1x) on my next trip to Dick's.  Yeah it's expensive but I think I can make it last all summer and I'll still use junk balls on par 3s where I hit over water.

@dbrock504

That picture doesn't prove much about the ball. I can do that with any ball if the green is soft enough because I come in high. Speaking of greens, I imagine that one has seen better days.

I played on a course today that greens were hard as a rock. I hit 3 greens in the middle that rolled off the back with high soaring irons. Are you trying to tell me that this ball will hold that green without any spin on the ball from me.

Those are awesome compared to what I have to play on!

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Those are awesome compared to what I have to play on!

I am in Texas after all... The course I played Saturday was a much better course with lush, soft greens that didn't have any of that. I'm sorry to hear you have to play on crappy greens. Where are you playing in New Hampshire?

Dylan

I chickened out and got a box of Maxfli U/4 at Dick's today.  $20 for a dozen, haven't played these before so curious to see how they do.  Maybe next time on the Pro V1s...

I chickened out and got a box of Maxfli U/4 at Dick's today.  $20 for a dozen, haven't played these before so curious to see how they do.  Maybe next time on the Pro V1s...

I hear they are good balls from some of the others above, but I haven't tried them yet. Let me know how you like them. Based on my "specs" I would have gotten the U/6, but that's alright.

If I ever make it through 2 consecutive 18-hole rounds without losing a ball, I'll buy a sleeve of ProV1s.

I would go ahead and get a sleeve anyways. You would be surprised to see how much longer you're able to hang onto the ball through your round.

Dylan

I hear they are good balls from some of the others above, but I haven't tried them yet. Let me know how you like them. Based on my "specs" I would have gotten the U/6, but that's alright.

I would go ahead and get a sleeve anyways. You would be surprised to see how much longer you're able to hang onto the ball through your round.

Yeah it's amazing how much your sloppiness level goes down when you know you're hitting a $4 ball.  haha

Anyway, yeah I'll play a round later today maybe.  The U/3 and U/4 both had clearance stickers so that made think maybe Maxfli is discontinuing them.  I don't even remember seeing the U/6 on the shelf but if it was I'm guessing it was regular priced.  I did try the U/3 earlier this spring and thought it was a solid ball so I'm expecting this model to be as good or better.

I'm sorry. But I'm not playing a Titleist Pro V ball.

I was shooting in the low 80s consistently and started playing a pro v.

I'll admitt. They bite around a green. No doubt.

But I don't see how anyone says they're longer with a Pro V (unless you're a scratch golfer maybe) I certainly wasn't longer and was spinning the ball all over the place on my drives.

Titlleist can say that the ball doesn't know who's hitting it.

But the ball does know what angle you hit it at and how much spin you put on it and a pro v ball ends up in the rough more than a ball made for amateurs.

I know this from personal experience.

I do play with a guy who uses a cheaper ball off the tee and pulls out a pro v for approach shots and to play around the green. :o)

I'm using a Srixon soft ball or a Noodle (I normally score better with one of these balls) I'm trying to get my scores back down. Right now I'm fighting to break 90.

And I don't think a pro v ball would help me at all!

• Upvote 1

I love this game!

I'm sorry. But I'm not playing a Titleist Pro V ball.

I was shooting in the low 80s consistently and started playing a pro v.

I'll admitt. They bite around a green. No doubt.

But I don't see how anyone says they're longer with a Pro V (unless you're a scratch golfer maybe) I certainly wasn't longer and was spinning the ball all over the place on my drives.

Titlleist can say that the ball doesn't know who's hitting it.

But the ball does know what angle you hit it at and how much spin you put on it and a pro v ball ends up in the rough more than a ball made for amateurs.

I know this from personal experience.

I do play with a guy who uses a cheaper ball off the tee and pulls out a pro v for approach shots and to play around the green. :o)

I'm using a Srixon soft ball or a Noodle (I normally score better with one of these balls) I'm trying to get my scores back down. Right now I'm fighting to break 90.

And I don't think a pro v ball would help me at all!

Not to be a butt head or anything, but do you really think that is the ball? You are saying that the #1 ball (arguably) on the market caused you to go from hitting low 80's to "fighting to break 90". A golf ball is not going to make the difference of 10 strokes.

Everyone's swing is different and everyone's preferences are different. To say that you shouldn't hit that ball if you are an amateur is a bit naive if you ask me.

P.S. to the bolded sentence: Your buddy is making an illegal move. You are not allowed to swap balls mid hole like that. http://www.usga.org/rulesfaq/rules_answer.asp?FAQidx=177&Rule;=15

However, thank you for adding your input. I'm sure there are many people who agree with you.

Dylan

Not to be a butt head or anything, but do you really think that is the ball? You are saying that the #1 ball (arguably) on the market caused you to go from hitting low 80's to "fighting to break 90". A golf ball is not going to make the difference of 10 strokes.

Everyone's swing is different and everyone's preferences are different. To say that you shouldn't hit that ball if you are an amateur is a bit naive if you ask me.

P.S. to the bolded sentence: Your buddy is making an illegal move. You are not allowed to swap balls mid hole like that. http://www.usga.org/rulesfaq/rules_answer.asp?FAQidx=177&Rule;=15

However, thank you for adding your input. I'm sure there are many people who agree with you.

My buddy knows he's making an illegal move. We don't play for money or in a tournament. It is just for fun. He says he can't afford to lose a Pro V off the tee but wants to play one when he can be assured he won't lose it.

Also, I don't blame the Pro V for the 10 strokes I've lost. It did cause me to lose 4 or 5 though. I couldn't score as well when playing it.

Then I hurt my back and had to stop playing for about a year. I've started playing again this Feburary and am trying to get my score back down. But I don't think a Pro V will help me in my attempt!

Frankly, I'm not good enough to play one. That's my honest opinion.

I love this game!

My buddy knows he's making an illegal move. We don't play for money or in a tournament. It is just for fun. He says he can't afford to lose a Pro V off the tee but wants to play one when he can be assured he won't lose it.

Also, I don't blame the Pro V for the 10 strokes I've lost. It did cause me to lose 4 or 5 though. I couldn't score as well when playing it.

Then I hurt my back and had to stop playing for about a year. I've started playing again this Feburary and am trying to get my score back down. But I don't think a Pro V will help me in my attempt!

Frankly, I'm not good enough to play one. That's my honest opinion.

I can understand that, however I like to play the game within the rules. He is gaining an unfair advantage by being able to use an "anti spin" distance ball off the tee box and a spin feel ball for the greens haha. But to each his own.

Well I don't feel as if I am "good enough to play one" either, but I like to play them when I find them. I really love the feel of the ball. I really like these NXT Tour S balls that are essentially the same thing as the ProV1 except an ionomer cover and not urethane. They perform similarly for me and cost less when I buy them used. They have brought me down a few strokes.

Dylan

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, Boomergolfer has a legitimate point.  If a player tends to put a lot of sidespin on the ball and fights a hook or slice for example, a high spin ball like the Pro V1 can get him into more trouble and cost him more strokes than a lower spinning ball. Not everyone can take advantage of what a ball like the Pro V can do regardless of what Titleist says, and it can even cause other players to struggle.

I believe his comment " But the ball does know what angle you hit it at and how much spin you put on it and a pro v ball ends up in the rough more than a ball made for amateurs" isn't necessarily saying you shouldn't play that ball if you're an amateur, but that it's designed more for an advanced player who can control their spin vs. other models that are geared towards a mid to high handicapper.  Although you may not have agreed with his post, I think it has very valid points.  Just my 2 cents.

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

Actually, Boomergolfer has a legitimate point.  If a player tends to put a lot of sidespin on the ball and fights a hook or slice for example, a high spin ball like the Pro V1 can get him into more trouble and cost him more strokes than a lower spinning ball. Not everyone can take advantage of what a ball like the Pro V can do regardless of what Titleist says, and it can even cause other players to struggle.

I believe his comment "But the ball does know what angle you hit it at and how much spin you put on it and a pro v ball ends up in the rough more than a ball made for amateurs" ​isn't necessarily saying you shouldn't play that ball if you're an amateur, but that it's designed more for an advanced player who can control their spin vs. other models that are geared towards a mid to high handicapper.  Although you may not have agreed with his post, I think it has very valid points.  Just my 2 cents.

I'm sorry, but I disagree in that comment being a legitimate point considering every ball knows what angle you hit it at and how much spin you put on it. I've snap hooked a Pinnacle Gold more than once. Yes a Pro V will exaggerate those bad angles, but who's fault is that? The ball, or the player?

I am no where close to an advanced player and I am not nearly even close to acting like I can put insane spin on the ball with "pulling-the-rope" command, but I can tell you the Pro V's check up a lot more and hold more greens for me (someone who shoots 90-95). So to your last comment in which I bolded, I disagree and I'm sure many other amateurs do as well. If you are shooting in the 100's with no control, no command on your spin, and struggle to make proper contact, I do agree you will not benefit greatly from this ball. In fact, you won't benefit from any ball. Proper ball contact is #1.

Dylan

I'm sorry, but I disagree in that comment being a legitimate point considering every ball knows what angle you hit it at and how much spin you put on it. I've snap hooked a Pinnacle Gold more than once. Yes a Pro V will exaggerate those bad angles, but who's fault is that? The ball, or the player?

I am no where close to an advanced player and I am not nearly even close to acting like I can put insane spin on the ball with "pulling-the-rope" command, but I can tell you the Pro V's check up a lot more and hold more greens for me (someone who shoots 90-95). So to your last comment in which I bolded, I disagree and I'm sure many other amateurs do as well. If you are shooting in the 100's with no control, no command on your spin, and struggle to make proper contact, I do agree you will not benefit greatly from this ball. In fact, you won't benefit from any ball. Proper ball contact is #1.

I do agree that if a player makes a horrible swing, the result is likely to be horrible as well.  And  yes, a Pinnacle  can be duck-hooked just like a Pro V, which is caused by the swing.  But I wouldn't look at it as the ball's fault or the player's fault... every player has certain tendencies regardless of the level they are at. It could be as minor as a tendency to hit the ball a little too low with the long irons (for example) or a tendency to hit a huge slice 50 yards off-line.  Whatever it is, it make sense to configure your equipment to help negate it.  A low ball hitter that struggles to get the ball in the air wouldn't want a 7* driver...a high lofted club will benefit him much more. My point is each golf ball is designed to perform a certain way, and a ball that is built to curve probably isn't the best choice for a player who fights a hook or slice.  There are balls that curve less.  I'm not saying that they are "duck-hook proof", but shot-to-shot, day-in and day-out, they will be straighter.

As far as backspin is concerned, I agree that the Pro V1 checks up more than a lot of other models and I'm sure they hold greens really well for you. I also agree that proper contact is important.  As the amount of spin is increased, so does the importance of contact. An ionomer-covered ball that doesn’t spin as much may actually be more consistent for the player who is very inconsistent in terms of quality of contact. But if you prefer playing the Pro V, and like the way it feels, by all means play it and enjoy it.

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

I suppose that the ball I ought to play is one that 1) minimizes the side spin I put on far too many shots and 2) spins end-over-end enough to help me keep shots on the green. Is there a ball that does both real well? I tend to suspect that its either one or the other.

• Administrator

I suppose that the ball I ought to play is one that 1) minimizes the side spin I put on far too many shots and 2) spins end-over-end enough to help me keep shots on the green. Is there a ball that does both real well? I tend to suspect that its either one or the other.

Spin is spin. There are no balls that "minimize side spin" while "increasing backspin."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 3604 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!