IGNORED

Case of the shanks/pulls/hooks/blades/everything else

Note: This thread is 3625 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

First off, I am going to try and start a swing thread in the next month since I know the advice is harder to give without a visual. Over the past 3 months I have golfed 5 times with random trips to the range. The scores for those 5 rounds were 85, 80, 87, 91, and 86. Last week I finally got a membership at a course here in town. Since joining I have been to the range twice and today attempted to play 9. I only made it through 3 before walking off to just go putt and chip. Both times at the range at least 80% of my swings created just about every messed up shot you can think of. This is ranging from SW to my driver. Has anyone had this happen to them and does anyone have any advice as to why my swing has randomly turned to crap.

Not to highjack your thread, but I was at the range tonight, and tried about 10 of those drills, I know Mike, not Exactly what I should be working on, I did 50 of the drills you gave me. Anyhow, after the hip set drills, I hit about 4 or 5 full swing shots with hips forward with my PW........Gawd Dang!!!, I hit my PW further with a nice slowish tempo swing than I ever have, and the ball went where I aimed.

ch716..Mike knows golf.. :-D Good luck with your progress.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I will try these tomorrow to get more weight on the left leg at impact. I suppose, a comfortable followthrough results? My issue has been weaker weightshift perhaps and poor followtvrough. (Ending comfortably on the left leg for rightie golfer - this has been a problem for me) Oftentimes I slip back on both legs at 50-50 weight , after having struck ball. Which is, an unorthodox and perhaps wrong followthrough.

I suppose, a comfortable followthrough results?

My issue has been weaker weightshift perhaps and poor followtvrough. (Ending comfortably on the left leg for rightie golfer - this has been a problem for me)

Oftentimes I slip back on both legs at 50-50 weight , after having struck ball. Which is, an unorthodox and perhaps wrong followthrough.

Yes the best players have 85-90% of their weight forward at impact, so if you're 50/50 you'll run into issues with solid contact, distance and balance.

Also make sure to turn the left foot out, will help the left knee retain it's flex longer.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Yes the best players have 85-90% of their weight forward at impact, so if you're 50/50 you'll run into issues with solid contact, distance and balance.

Also make sure to turn the left foot out, will help the left knee retain it's flex longer.

I'd say it's about 60 lead leg / 40 back leg (about 60 left leg / 40 right leg)

Because I do shift weight or try to atleast, but it doesn't seem to be enough?! :pound::cry:

So, you mean stand with left foot flared, towards the target, flared towards the left?

And right foot stands normally forward? Asymmetric foot position essentially?

So, you mean stand with left foot flared, towards the target, flared towards the left?

And right foot stands normally forward? Asymmetric foot position essentially?

Or you could flare them both. I would say take your normal stance width and then just bring your heels closer together. So you get that flare look.

Check out @mvmac there. See how both feet are flared. That helps him get his hip rotation on the back and helps him drive his weight forward. If your feet are square to your target then it inhibits the right knee from moving forward. See how Mike's right knee is over his front foot at impact there. If his foot was square, that is more difficult to do.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Make a bunch of these swings

I went and shot 9 today at my new course. This was the first time I went through all 9. I ended up shooting a 45 due to some inconsistent driving and having to scramble. My iron play was great though. I used this drill for a little while warming up on the range and it made a huge difference. Thank you very much for the advice, I am going to implement this drill into my warmups before every round now.

The main problem of shanking, based on my experience is tiredness and fatigue. Your body might feel up to it, but your ability to hold your posture, stance, wrist, grip, etc is unable to cope up wit your playing spirit. for other inconsistency is u made one bad shots, instead of take it up to your chin, you start to think about mecahnics and lose trust on your own swing and even worse, you tried to fix it during the game. I have a firm belief, if you hit 10 balls on the range and you hit at least 3 shots that you are absolutely love, you know how to swing already. Golf is a hand eye coordination sports, we're not machine where if the input is this then the output should be that. :-D Golf ain't fun if you hit it dead solid perfect all the time, seriously not even pga pros can do that. :-P Hari "I'm not talented, that's why i work harder than most people"

I went and shot 9 today at my new course. This was the first time I went through all 9. I ended up shooting a 45 due to some inconsistent driving and having to scramble. My iron play was great though. I used this drill for a little while warming up on the range and it made a huge difference. Thank you very much for the advice, I am going to implement this drill into my warmups before every round now.

Great to hear, keep up the good work.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Note: This thread is 3625 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!