IGNORED

How Would You Play this Hole (#7 at Kirbymoorside Golf Course)

Royster1984
Note: This thread is 3599 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am looking for some help on choosing the correct way to play this hole at my home course.

This hole is the SI 2 hole at Kirkbymoorside Golf Course. Plays around 440yds. Your tee box is elevated around 20 ft above the fairway. Its a fairly tight drive, fairway is around 20-25 yards wide and is often played like a par 5 by people who are not so accurate with the driver/3w of the tee.

Forgot to mention my yardages

Driver - 240-250

3W - 220-225

3H - 195

4i - 185

5i - 175

6i - 165

7i - 155

8i - 140

9i - 130

PW - 120

52d - 100

58d - 80

I am looking at as a right handed golfer, Looks as though you are playing from tees too far back for your drive (240-250). Looking at your yardages, the hole asks for 260 carry, if you don't have it, you'll likely have to be patient and set your self up for an attacking chip and hope for a par now and then.

Nothing really complicated about this imo, it's just a long par 4.  Keep the ball in the fairway but clear of the trees on the left so you have a look at the green and basically just try to smash it.  Using your distance I'd go driver and then the hybrid or maybe the 4 iron depending on the wind and if the green is level with the fairway.  There's no sand so it looks like it simply tests your ability to hit 2 straight shots in a row.

I am looking at as a right handed golfer, Looks as though you are playing from tees too far back for your drive (240-250). Looking at your yardages, the hole asks for 260 carry, if you don't have it, you'll likely have to be patient and set your self up for an attacking chip and hope for a par now and then.

I normally play 3Hybrid of the tee then lay up with a 6i as I dont really have the distance when playing of the comp tee's. But not sure if this is the correct way to play it.

Nothing really complicated about this imo, it's just a long par 4.  Keep the ball in the fairway but clear of the trees on the left so you have a look at the green and basically just try to smash it.  Using your distance I'd go driver and then the hybrid or maybe the 4 iron depending on the wind and if the green is level with the fairway.  There's no sand so it looks like it simply tests your ability to hit 2 straight shots in a row.

It's fairly tight, well is for me being a high handicapper. Fairway is around 20 yards wide. The hole is pretty easy if you get a good tee shot away and leave yourself an iron to the green but that only happens with strong winds behind for me.

Exactly my thought.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Gotta agree. You're playing way too far back given your skill level. 440 yard par 4s are not fun for most people let alone 20 handicaps! Tee it forward, my friend, and enjoy the game more.

Constantine

Gotta agree. You're playing way too far back given your skill level. 440 yard par 4s are not fun for most people let alone 20 handicaps! Tee it forward, my friend, and enjoy the game more.

Our system is different from the US. In comps we all play of the same competition tee's, which is these white tee's. In social game's we play of Yellow tee's that are 25-30 yards shorter.

At your currant level I would play it as an easy par 5. don't put yourself under pressure to par it every time.

Our system is different from the US. In comps we all play of the same competition tee's, which is these white tee's. In social game's we play of Yellow tee's that are 25-30 yards shorter.

Then you're getting one, maybe even two strokes on the hole.  Play it like a par-5 and it's an easy net par, with the occasional net birdie.  Nice result for a very difficult hole.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Then you're getting one, maybe even two strokes on the hole.  Play it like a par-5 and it's an easy net par, with the occasional net birdie.  Nice result for a very difficult hole.

Yea that is a smart idea for tournament play that has handicaps. It's clearly one of the harder holes on the course, so might as well take advantage of the strokes you get and play it smart. Let the other guys blow up and you'll gain some strokes on the field. Basically getting par there is tough, so if you can get par or bogey with handicap is a smart move.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

Oh riiiiight. Forgot about that. My bad, but also, include more info in your OP next time. Still, mostly my bad.

Yea, agree with the others about playing it as a par 5. Don't even think of it as a par 4. The idea of "par" can often negatively influence how we approach a hole.

Constantine

Under your requirements:  I would play my 200 yard club, 3W or 5W to stay out of the narrow area where my driver would be.  Then I would play a 3w toward the green to get as close as possible.  There are no traps or hazards short or short right/left of the green.

Of course I could be wrong.  I haven't had a chance to read this wonderful book I have been hearing about that will tell me how to play this hole. :-P

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Yeah it's the cut off for me so I get 2 shots allocated to this hole. So I normally play iron off the tee then 6i lay up. Sometimes get a little excited and hit the driver and its 50/50 if it ends ok.

Under your requirements:  I would play my 200 yard club, 3W or 5W to stay out of the narrow area where my driver would be.  Then I would play a 3w toward the green to get as close as possible.  There are no traps or hazards short or short right/left of the green.

Of course I could be wrong.  I haven't had a chance to read this wonderful book I have been hearing about that will tell me how to play this hole.

There is a bit of trouble right of the green a large bush which if your ball goe's in your screwed as you will find it more than likely but is very hard to get out but it is about 10-15 yards short right of the green so is not so bad.

Yeah it's the cut off for me so I get 2 shots allocated to this hole. So I normally play iron off the tee then 6i lay up. Sometimes get a little excited and hit the driver and its 50/50 if it ends ok.

There is a bit of trouble right of the green a large bush which if your ball goe's in your screwed as you will find it more than likely but is very hard to get out but it is about 10-15 yards short right of the green so is not so bad.

That is the problem with just showing Google Earth photos.  You can't tell where the real crap is.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

That is the problem with just showing Google Earth photos.  You can't tell where the real crap is.

Yeah i was going to get some pictures of the hole but got invited to a game in another town which was 50 mile in wrong direction of my home course. :(

I've got another hole I could use some help with so I will get all photo's first and try and give as much info as possible to make it abit more easier for you guys to see.

First thing I would do is get Bubba Watson to hit my tee shot and then....joking...I'm 62 and still can play decently...but honestly with my lack of BIG DISTANCE (230-240avg Drive) ...I'd play it forward for more golfing fun. But if I HAD to play it from the tips I would try and position myself for an easy up and down if didn't hit the GIR. The elevated tee might be of some help...and of course yardage is relative to the lay of the land and the setup of the hole.

What's in my bag

Cobra Speed LD-F 10.5* Driver

Callaway XHot 15* 3-wood

Tour Edge Bazooka 5-wood

Tour Edge Bazooka 7-wood

Wilson Staff Ci9 Irons 4-GW

Mizuno T-Zoid Sand Wedge 56*

Odyssey White Hot #2

At your currant level I would play it as an easy par 5. don't put yourself under pressure to par it every time.

Make it a three shotter Mr Royster...easy bogey...take your Par 5 and be happy

What's in my bag

Cobra Speed LD-F 10.5* Driver

Callaway XHot 15* 3-wood

Tour Edge Bazooka 5-wood

Tour Edge Bazooka 7-wood

Wilson Staff Ci9 Irons 4-GW

Mizuno T-Zoid Sand Wedge 56*

Odyssey White Hot #2

Note: This thread is 3599 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!