IGNORED

David Duval

BallMarker
Note: This thread is 3510 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Missed the cut after shooting 66 in the first round at the Byron Nelson.

Too bad. I want him to do well.

In my bag Driver: Cleveland CG tour black Fairway Woods: Diablo Octane 3 wood; Diablo 5 wood Irons: Mizuno MP53 5-9 Hybrid: Cobra 3, 4 T-Rail Wedge: 46* Cleveland, 50* Cleveland, 54* Titleist, 60* Titleist Putter: Odyssey protype #6 Ball: Maxfli U4/U6... But I'm not really picky about the ball I use.

The sad thing about Duval, is that he didn't seem to really enjoy what he had when he was good. When he won the British Open, he felt kind of let down. He expected to feel more. I don't know if it was just injuries, or lack of motivation that hurt him, but it seems like the game has passed him by.

As a relative golf newbie, I've noticed there seems to be a pattern with the older guys - Phil, Duvall, even Tiger of late ... they all are capable of one or two stellar rounds, but can't seem to put 4 of them together ... CONSISTENTLY.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

As a relative golf newbie, I've noticed there seems to be a pattern with the older guys - Phil, Duvall, even Tiger of late ... they all are capable of one or two stellar rounds, but can't seem to put 4 of them together ... CONSISTENTLY.

Not sure how old you are @inthehole , but as a +50 guy, I can see why the older players have trouble.  I can feel great today and like I was hit by a truck tomorrow without knowing what caused the soreness.  I am sure the aches and pains catch up with these players too.  That is why the Champions Tour is only three rounds.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Not sure how old you are @inthehole , but as a +50 guy, I can see why the older players have trouble.  I can feel great today and like I was hit by a truck tomorrow without knowing what caused the soreness.  I am sure the aches and pains catch up with these players too.  That is why the Champions Tour is only three rounds.

What he said and as time goes on the good days get fewer.  You got to be tough to get old.

:poo:

Butch

I followed him around two holes on the second day, and he played pretty well. There was just a whole bunch of big and tall young kids on the field able to hit far past the positions he hit. A couple par 4 were over 500 yards. It's a long way from the tee box to the green, and most of them were at length in two shots. For an older golfer, shooting a 7100 yard par 70 course is already pretty stellar. Putting was also tough. [quote name="BallMarker" url="/t/74614/david-duval#post_990856"]Missed the cut after shooting 66 in the first round at the Byron Nelson. . Too bad. I want him to do well. [/quote] I was rooting for David for a bit, but got tired walking (our group was getting tired of walking so much), so we followed Gary Woodland, Keegan Bradley and Matt Kuchar for a bit. They were playing awesome. It got kind of boring for the holes we followed them. They even made it from the trees on the 18th, which was kind of neat to watch. These guys hit really far. [quote name="boogielicious" url="/t/74614/david-duval#post_990940"]Not sure how old you are @inthehole , but as a +50 guy, I can see why the older players have trouble.  I can feel great today and like I was hit by a truck tomorrow without knowing what caused the soreness.  I am sure the aches and pains catch up with these players too.  That is why the Champions Tour is only three rounds. [/quote] Our group was getting tired just following them. The champions tour (Toshiba Classic) was easier to follow, shorter holes. All in all, it is fun watching these guys play, but I think I'm not yet ready to be a spectator. I still prefer to play. Mostly, I was looking with awe at the length of the holes and the length and accuracy of the drives and approach shots. The length of these guys makes me believe more of the posters who say they hit 300 yards. These guys hit even 10% farther than those claims with their professional 114 mph properly controlled swings.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Quote:

Originally Posted by inthehole

Not sure how old you are @inthehole , but as a +50 guy, I can see why the older players have trouble.  I can feel great today and like I was hit by a truck tomorrow without knowing what caused the soreness.  I am sure the aches and pains catch up with these players too.  That is why the Champions Tour is only three rounds.

I'm 49, and can definitely relate.     My back and knees wouldn't allow me to walk the course 4 days straight, no less swing a golf club for 4 days.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Ya'll are depressing me. LOL I honestly didn't feel much of an age factor other than needing a longer recovery time after workouts until the last year or two (I'm 58). Now fifteen minute breaks ain't what they used to be for the first time. ;-)

Wow all these people saying "for an old guy" and "Davids an older golfer" lol.  He's younger than Phil... and Phil is still hitting it out there with the rest of them.  Duval had a bad arm injury that almost forced him to withdraw before his first round he said it was hurting so bad.  That's probably what caused him to play poorly and miss the cut.  It really was a shame, if he can make a few putts he'll get some exemptions into tournaments.  It'd be a real shame if he can't earn his card back this year, he already said if he doesn't earn his card back he'll walk away from the game.

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

Doesn't sound like a guy that's very hungry and it's harder to beat people (at anything) that are hungry when you are not. It would be human nature for a lot of those guys to lose a little bit of hunger as they get in their 40s or 50s and get fairly comfortable.

well its also hard to play well when you only get a start every 2-3 weeks. He can only get into fields on sponsor exemptions or tournament director invitations

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

• 2 months later...
Sure looks like Double D's golfing career is over. He said before the season he would not except any more exemptions come 2015. He mentioned doing something else with his life. He's been getting some announcing work. Maybe Fox will pick him up for the US Open..

Riley

Sure looks like Double D's golfing career is over. He said before the season he would not except any more exemptions come 2015. He mentioned doing something else with his life. He's been getting some announcing work. Maybe Fox will pick him up for the US Open..

Yeah...probably time to move on. He was good on the air, I hope he goes that route. Maybe get Nance out of there. Duval and Faldo would be amazing IMO

Yeah...probably time to move on. He was good on the air, I hope he goes that route. Maybe get Nance out of there. Duval and Faldo would be amazing IMO

I dunno. Maybe. David Duval & Nick Faldo seem like too much dryness in the same booth. Damn shame though. Really thought he was going to win the 2009 US Open. I remember rooting for him so hard, woulda made a great comeback story. He's shown some flashes, but injuries and poor form have ran him out the gate.

Riley

Hey guys, first post on this forum. I post on another golf forum but literally did a search for David Duval recently and this post came out. Funny the odds as I was hoping to find a discussion on Double D.

Anywho, I started Following Duval back in probably 1999 when I was in high school. He was the reason I got into golfing and tried out for the school team. I even bought those wrap around Oakley sunglasses to look like him.

When he won the British Open in 2001 at St Annes I sat on my couch and it felt like my local sports team just won the title (Im from Buffalo so I dont exactly know the feeling otherwise with the Sabres and Bills.

Then it all came crashing down. I saw him play for the first time in 2003 at the PGA and he had no form left. I still followed him hardcore. I would walk his rounds if he came anywhere near my home town and I followed every tournament of his via PGAtour.com live leaderboards.

In I think about 2004-2006 it became know he had so many issues with injuries and vertigo. Then on top of that after he won the British he lost focus in his life. He then found someone, had some kids and seemed much more complete. After following him tourney by tourney for 8 years! he finally did something and almost won the US Open and finished 2nd at Bay Hill or Pebble in the same vicinity. After all those years of never giving up on him it felt amazing to see him contend.

Then he hit the walls again. Kept telling people in interviews that he was close. 2014 rolls around and still nothing. However at the start of this year he had a couple really good tournaments. He looked a ton better, good shape and all. Said he was finally playing the best golf since his old days and this time he meant it. You could see it was true as well. Then after that 66 in the first round, 2nd place after day 1, he missed the cut with a bad round followed by another awful round in the following tournament and a WD.

According to him on twitter and whatnot, injuries derailed what was turning into a nice run.

ALL that being said and what most people have speculated here, this is my opinion of his future from a guy that has followed him tourney by tourney for the last 12 years.

Hes still got a ton left. He can still drive it far enough to contend and his iron play can be as good as anyone. More than anything he makes alot of birdies in most rounds. Showing he can still score. But the bad holes have factored too much.

He has stated alot that he loves the game too much to fully quit. But hes also said he doesnt want charity from sponsors. Meaning his greatest desire is to contend and earn his card and play forever. He said he loves the game so much he expects to play on the senior tour many years down the line. So these few statements contradict in some ways but to me it seems clear.

I personally like that hes giving the announcing a try as it will keep him around for me to see at least in some capacity. Hes also always going to be eligible for the British Open (one of my fav tournaments anyway) so he should always represent no matter what happens. BUT all that said I still think he will win again on tour. Theres enough there, I just cant figure out if the injury derailed his season (we will find out this week at the Wyndam). I think he will keep playing as long as he can even though he doesnt like handouts.

Im 28 now, and I wont say hes the only golfer I follow, just my all time favorite. Over the years Ive enjoyed 20-30 new personal favorites to watch and alot of the new international players are exciting as well.

Again sorry for the long rant on my first post on this forum but I had some pent up David Duval talk in me that the other golf forums I participate in werent willing to have.

• Upvote 1

Hey guys, first post on this forum. I post on another golf forum but literally did a search for David Duval recently and this post came out. Funny the odds as I was hoping to find a discussion on Double D. Anywho, I started Following Duval back in probably 1999 when I was in high school. He was the reason I got into golfing and tried out for the school team. I even bought those wrap around Oakley sunglasses to look like him. When he won the British Open in 2001 at St Annes I sat on my couch and it felt like my local sports team just won the title (Im from Buffalo so I dont exactly know the feeling otherwise with the Sabres and Bills. Then it all came crashing down. I saw him play for the first time in 2003 at the PGA and he had no form left. I still followed him hardcore. I would walk his rounds if he came anywhere near my home town and I followed every tournament of his via PGAtour.com live leaderboards. In I think about 2004-2006 it became know he had so many issues with injuries and vertigo. Then on top of that after he won the British he lost focus in his life. He then found someone, had some kids and seemed much more complete. After following him tourney by tourney for 8 years! he finally did something and almost won the US Open and finished 2nd at Bay Hill or Pebble in the same vicinity. After all those years of never giving up on him it felt amazing to see him contend. Then he hit the walls again. Kept telling people in interviews that he was close. 2014 rolls around and still nothing. However at the start of this year he had a couple really good tournaments. He looked a ton better, good shape and all. Said he was finally playing the best golf since his old days and this time he meant it. You could see it was true as well. Then after that 66 in the first round, 2nd place after day 1, he missed the cut with a bad round followed by another awful round in the following tournament and a WD. According to him on twitter and whatnot, injuries derailed what was turning into a nice run. ALL that being said and what most people have speculated here, this is my opinion of his future from a guy that has followed him tourney by tourney for the last 12 years. Hes still got a ton left. He can still drive it far enough to contend and his iron play can be as good as anyone. More than anything he makes alot of birdies in most rounds. Showing he can still score. But the bad holes have factored too much. He has stated alot that he loves the game too much to fully quit. But hes also said he doesnt want charity from sponsors. Meaning his greatest desire is to contend and earn his card and play forever. He said he loves the game so much he expects to play on the senior tour many years down the line. So these few statements contradict in some ways but to me it seems clear. I personally like that hes giving the announcing a try as it will keep him around for me to see at least in some capacity. Hes also always going to be eligible for the British Open (one of my fav tournaments anyway) so he should always represent no matter what happens. BUT all that said I still think he will win again on tour. Theres enough there, I just cant figure out if the injury derailed his season (we will find out this week at the Wyndam). I think he will keep playing as long as he can even though he doesnt like handouts. Im 28 now, and I wont say hes the only golfer I follow, just my all time favorite. Over the years Ive enjoyed 20-30 new personal favorites to watch and alot of the new international players are exciting as well. Again sorry for the long rant on my first post on this forum but I had some pent up David Duval talk in me that the other golf forums I participate in werent willing to have.

Welcome to the forum dude. Good to see another DD fan. I agree that he still has some gas left in the tank. But at this point the injuries and inconsistency really put his future in doubt.

Riley

Thanks for the welcome.

Quite simply put he may always remain a mystery here on out. I cant see him ever having consistency again (although it would be cool). However I think what youll see is a few tournaments a year he will put it together like he has since his US Open close call in 2009. He'll probably grab one of those tournaments. Then youll likely see him miss a few cuts in between. Its sorta how hes operated. I wouldnt be all upset with that approach. It would be quite a tease but Id personally be satisfied he came out and stole a major just 1 more time to bridge the gap after all these years. That 2009 US open win would have done it. And he should have won 2-3 Masters by now.

Note: This thread is 3510 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!