IGNORED

Most Embarrassing Moments on the Course?

jakepalm
Note: This thread is 1299 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

In high school, Norton (MA) High School was in our league, so we'd play them home and away once a year. Their home course was TPC Boston. My senior year, I was playing in the #2 spot, so most of both teams were still bunched near the tee. I'm teeing off with a hybrid, and chunk-pop it so badly that my ball barely trickles past the tee box, into some thick rough. After everyone else tees off, I do the exact same thing with my second shot, so I'm sitting two a grand total of 10 yards off the tee.

I ended up hitting a good third shot into the fairway and a nice SW to 10 feet, and made the bogey putt, so it could have been worse. But that was very embarrassing. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 month later...

This is more embarrassing than the three I posted about two months ago: 

We were playing at a new course, the blue/white combo tees. On the 10th hole, we drove up on a 4some who gladly let us play through. We just so happened to be playing the blues on that hole, and I embarrassingly pulled my drive well to the left of the left tree line. I could feel my face go bright red. That would’ve been a painful walk if I was walking, but we were riding, so it wasn’t that bad. Never found my ball 😂

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

I had just tee’d off and hit my drive to the right into some trees. I really had to pee, so when I got down by my ball I took advantage of the grove of trees. I just started going and heard a golf cart coming towards me. I turned around and saw the cart girl coming right at me. I just stood there waving her off like a crazy man. I’m sure she was thinking, these crazy old men.

• iacas changed the title to Most Embarrassing Moments on the Course?

I was playing golf with my girlfriend (this is about 25 years ago), and she was getting frisky. So we ended up on the 6th green going at it. Now this was fall (in Michigan) and no one was on the course (or so we thought). Turns out there were a couple groups out playing who just happen to be standing in the only spot where you could even see the 6th green. Needless to say we got a nice ovation when we fished playing. An interesting side note...I've been married to her for 22 years now. 

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

Last game of the season. Went out as a single, ended up playing with friends of my wife.

Hit a par 3 in regulation...pin placement was on the other side of a steep rise. Took me four shots to get the ball over the ridge.

Embarrassing. Damn thing kept coming back to my feet.

1 hour ago, Bucki1968 said:

I was playing golf with my girlfriend (this is about 25 years ago), and she was getting frisky. So we ended up on the 6th green going at it. Now this was fall (in Michigan) and no one was on the course (or so we thought). Turns out there were a couple groups out playing who just happen to be standing in the only spot where you could even see the 6th green. Needless to say we got a nice ovation when we fished playing. An interesting side note...I've been married to her for 22 years now. 

i don't believe you anchorman GIF

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

17 hours ago, CharlieB said:

I had just tee’d off and hit my drive to the right into some trees. I really had to pee, so when I got down by my ball I took advantage of the grove of trees. I just started going and heard a golf cart coming towards me. I turned around and saw the cart girl coming right at me. I just stood there waving her off like a crazy man. I’m sure she was thinking, these crazy old men.

Funny.

Here in bandit country, I doubt the cart girl or the golfer would think a second thought about it.

Gotta love the ghetto.

City Tournament, the local news was there. I'm on the #1 tee, the cameras are rolling, I take a mighty swing and......... I cold top one about 30 yards. Ouch! Needless to say I did not make that night's sports broadcast.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

I have two new moments that were embarrassing:

1) In my second round today, I hit two shank-y drives on the 2nd and 5th holes. They resulted in a triple and an 11 respectively.

2) On the 11th (my 29th), after a so-so drive, I hit a 6I that took off at a 90 degree angle. 

Those moments make you question your ability.

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

On 10/31/2019 at 9:52 AM, DeadMan said:

i don't believe you anchorman GIF

Absolutely true. That particular golf course saw a lot of "activity" other than golf. From more than just myself. 

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

On 10/31/2019 at 11:10 AM, NM Golf said:

City Tournament, the local news was there. I'm on the #1 tee, the cameras are rolling, I take a mighty swing and......... I cold top one about 30 yards. Ouch! Needless to say I did not make that night's sports broadcast.

Fortunately.  If I had been the director, you would have!   ;-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

So many embarrassments throughout my golfing life...most of these from over 15 years ago...

• Hit my 4W so fat that the head snapped off at the hosel and went tumbling down the fairway, and the ball went about 3 inches.
  • Dented the door of my own car (thankfully not someone else's car, or face) in the parking lot after blading an attempted flop shot in the practice area.
  • Somehow managed to put a dent in the crown of my driver (my oldest golfing friend hasn't let me forget this)

But the worst had to be in my first tournament about 2 years ago. I've found that during normal rounds of golf, most other players are so absorbed in their own game that they don't really pay much mind to other golfers failures, but in a tournament (played in two so far), at least for me, I sense all eyes on me when it's my turn to hit.

So I hit my tee shot on a long by my standards (190 yards), uphill par-3 to about 18 inches. No one else was even on the green so I was feeling good. Rather than go through the process of marking my ball, I asked my group if I could just tap in and get out of their way, which they said was fine. I proceeded to miss my tap-in about 10 feet past the hole. Marked my ball, gathered myself, and eventually ended up three putting from there for a 5. I was so mortified that I didn't have a functional swing for the rest of the round, and ended up with a 110. Silver lining: I was so bad that I was basically in dead last after the first round, so I was in the first group to go out for the second day of play, and just got to have a nice, relaxing round with no pressure.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

when we think embarrassing, we usually think bad things, but can a good thing be embarrassing. I say yes. 

It was many years ago about my 3rd or 4th year in the game. I entered a tournament with a fairly high handicap. Did you ever have a day when nothing went right ? Probably. Did you ever have a day when nothing went wrong. I hope so. Well this was the  day for me.

I had been pouring over Jack Nicholas tapes (golf my way) and the adrenaline was flowing. I remember being on a par 3 that I had played earlier in  a different tournament  where I proceeded to hit or should I say shank the ball off the toe of the  club and into a  corn field . One  of the tournament marshals remarked what a  good  job I did launching the ball straight into the corn field leaving no doubt where that ball was going.

Anyway this  time I put the ball three feet from the cup and  putted in. As the round went on I continued to amaze myself at how well I was playing and amaze the  others in the foursome, but by the time we got into the back nine, they began to ask about my handicap. About the 13th hole one of them walked up to me and said. You are about to shave about 15 strokes off your handicap. He  did not look happy for me. In fact at the end of the round this same guy tore up his card and threw it in the wastebasket.  Oh yea, I started to feel it "Sandbagger". I finished strong and won my flight and at the trophy presentation I remember walking up to get it repeating over and over again for everyone to hear " I shot out of head " I do not know if they believed me , but it was very embarrassing. 

40 minutes ago, JCrane said:

when we think embarrassing, we usually think bad things, but can a good thing be embarrassing. I say yes. 

It was many years ago about my 3rd or 4th year in the game. I entered a tournament with a fairly high handicap. Did you ever have a day when nothing went right ? Probably. Did you ever have a day when nothing went wrong. I hope so. Well this was the  day for me.

I had been pouring over Jack Nicholas tapes (golf my way) and the adrenaline was flowing. I remember being on a par 3 that I had played earlier in  a different tournament  where I proceeded to hit or should I say shank the ball off the toe of the  club and into a  corn field . One  of the tournament marshals remarked what a  good  job I did launching the ball straight into the corn field leaving no doubt where that ball was going.

Anyway this  time I put the ball three feet from the cup and  putted in. As the round went on I continued to amaze myself at how well I was playing and amaze the  others in the foursome, but by the time we got into the back nine, they began to ask about my handicap. About the 13th hole one of them walked up to me and said. You are about to shave about 15 strokes off your handicap. He  did not look happy for me. In fact at the end of the round this same guy tore up his card and threw it in the wastebasket.  Oh yea, I started to feel it "Sandbagger". I finished strong and won my flight and at the trophy presentation I remember walking up to get it repeating over and over again for everyone to hear " I shot out of head " I do not know if they believed me , but it was very embarrassing. 

I had a similar situation.    I was working at the GM Proving Grounds and we got a few new employees.   Mind you there are over 5,000 people that work there but only a few in our group.   Rumor spread quickly that one of the guys was a scratch player and usually won whenever he played.   I saw his scorecards from some coworkers and knew he shot near par most of the time.    The one and only time I played with him was as a sub for another co-worker that was competing against him at a course I knew very well.  

We started out and I dropped my first tee shot into woods, lost.   Teed it up again and by the end of the first hole was lucky to come away with a double because I dropped a putt from about 15 feet.    Mind you, I'm not a good player by any stretch but it was embarrassing to start out with a double.     The second hole is a severe dog leg left.   I sliced my tee shot but the green was still in play.  I dropped my second shot about 20 feet from the hole and played a nearly flawless round until the 9th hole where I three putted.   I ended up with a 39.  I've since retired and have not seen him since.      

Both embarrassed and elated, all in the same round.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

8 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

I had a similar situation.    I was working at the GM Proving Grounds and we got a few new employees.   Mind you there are over 5,000 people that work there but only a few in our group.   Rumor spread quickly that one of the guys was a scratch player and usually won whenever he played.   I saw his scorecards from some coworkers and knew he shot near par most of the time.    The one and only time I played with him was as a sub for another co-worker that was competing against him at a course I knew very well.  

We started out and I dropped my first tee shot into woods, lost.   Teed it up again and by the end of the first hole was lucky to come away with a double because I dropped a putt from about 15 feet.    Mind you, I'm not a good player by any stretch but it was embarrassing to start out with a double.     The second hole is a severe dog leg left.   I sliced my tee shot but the green was still in play.  I dropped my second shot about 20 feet from the hole and played a nearly flawless round until the 9th hole where I three putted.   I ended up with a 39.  I've since retired and have not seen him since.      

Both embarrassed and elated, all in the same round.  

I got you. It is a really strange feeling that you have to experience in order to relate to  it. Thanks for sharing !

22 hours ago, David in FL said:

Fortunately.  If I had been the director, you would have!   ;-)

It was tense waiting to see if they were going to show it on the 10:00 news. I was relieved (to say the least) when they did not show me. 😛

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

In a 2 man Best shot tournament, and had 3 groups sitting nearby watching as I teed off...…..  Decided not to wear my golf shoes that day and there was dew on the tee box...……  My feet slipped out from under me, the ball went left 100 yds and I hit the ground...…...

Made up for it later on a Par 5.. my drive, my 2nd shot...…. then hit an eagle from 40 yds off the green...….

Edited by IowaGreg

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

:aimpoint:    :bushnell:    :sunmountain:   :ogio:   :titleist:
:mizuno:  Mizuno ST180 Driver
:ping:  Ping G400 fairway 3 
:cleveland:  Cleveland HB Launcher Iron set  4-PW  50/56/60 CBX Wedges
:callaway:  64 Calloway Lob Wedge
 :scotty_cameron:    Scotty Camron GOLO 3

12 hours ago, IowaGreg said:

In a 2 man Best shot tournament, and had 3 groups sitting nearby watching as I teed off...…..  Decided not to wear my golf shoes that day and there was dew on the tee box...……  My feet slipped out from under me, the ball went left 100 yds and I hit the ground...…...

Made up for it later on a Par 5.. my drive, my 2nd shot...…. then hit an eagle from 40 yds off the green...….

yea, but did those same people watching you fall, also see you on the par 5 ? 

Note: This thread is 1299 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!