IGNORED

It was an uncomfortable round last weekend...........

BuckeyeNut
Note: This thread is 3551 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Or do like me.  Get the first tee time of the day :)

In my Ogio Blade Stand Bag:

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Cleveland CG14 58 2 dot wedge

Ping Karsten Series Craz-E putter

Top Flite Gamer

While slow play is bad all day, it's especially bad early in the mornings. The reason for this is that it backs up EVERYONE for the rest of the day. People in the mid-afternoon, after playing a couple holes, will start to check their phones and generally not pay attention to the golf just because they're used to waiting so long. Even if you can get the slow group to pick up the pace or leave, the damage can be done since they've set a pace that generally tends to be followed for he rest of the day. We had this happen at the course where I work when I was a starter on a day of the men's club heaven and hell tournament. They played the front nine from the tips at a glacial pace, 3 hours, but finished he back in 1 and a half or less. We expected the general pace of play to pick up then, and I sent off the last tee time at 11:27. I went home, ate lunch, and got back to the course at one, after the men's club was entirely off the course. I teed off at 1:15 and caught up with the past group I sent out on the third hole, where thy were waiting on the group ahead of them. As a related aside, if you ask the starter for a tee rocomendation because you don't know the course, follow the recommendation. I saw a group ask me what tees they should play if they weren't very good, and I suggested the white tees behind the ladies tees for pace of play reasons. They promptly went to the second longest set of tees and started swinging away, taking 25 minutes on the first hole alone.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Don't mistake it for saying that slow play if just fine in the afternoon. I'm just saying that there is a general rule of thumb around these parts that the elite guys get first crack at the early tee times. Hacks like me generally play in the afternoon.

Actually that's good with me anyway. I like to get my work in and then go play. I'm just hoping that last weekend's 5-hour odyssey was the exception and not the rule.

Problem 1: This group came out with 5, not 4, so they had to take up an extra tee time that wasn't scheduled delaying subsequent groups. This is assuming they didn't reserve 2 tee times reserved. Had I been the starter, I would have said that one of them had to wait until there was an opening in a previous group if they only had a single tee time.  For the OP, I'm curious if you had a tee time reserved and at what time.

Problem 2: Slow play has been beaten to death, but I see it as a problem not related to skill level. I know many crappy players who are fast and some decent players that are slow. Did this course have rangers on the course? When I lived in DC, the rangers would be on you like stink on poo if you fell behind. They would help a slower groups find their tee shots on tougher holes and educate them on the principles of Ready Golf. Those courses were jam packed on the weekends with waiting lines to get in, but the pace moved along at a good pace.

- Shane

Yeah I'm not buying this early morning nonsense either.  Slow play is bad no matter when it happens.  If you think you deserve faster play in the morning because that's when you happen to play you come across like a douchebag and a clown.  My suggestion is to either get the marshal on the slow players or say something yourself.  And just because you're in the group doesn't mean you have to be a dick and make it awkward-- just say something like hey guys it looks like we're holding people up, let's pick it up some.

It's not so much about earlier tee times deserving a faster round, as much as that's how it's suppose to work. At 7 am, the course isn't full of golfers yet and there shouldn't be many in front to slow you down. The onus is on the early players to keep the flow moving and to set the pace for the day. As the day moves on and the course becomes saturated it's only natural for the pace to slow a bit as people have blow up holes, etc. I know that when I play early during season that my round is much quicker than a mid morning or afternoon tee time.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

While slow play is bad all day, it's especially bad early in the mornings. The reason for this is that it backs up EVERYONE for the rest of the day. People in the mid-afternoon, after playing a couple holes, will start to check their phones and generally not pay attention to the golf just because they're used to waiting so long. Even if you can get the slow group to pick up the pace or leave, the damage can be done since they've set a pace that generally tends to be followed for he rest of the day.

We had this happen at the course where I work when I was a starter on a day of the men's club heaven and hell tournament. They played the front nine from the tips at a glacial pace, 3 hours, but finished he back in 1 and a half or less. We expected the general pace of play to pick up then, and I sent off the last tee time at 11:27. I went home, ate lunch, and got back to the course at one, after the men's club was entirely off the course. I teed off at 1:15 and caught up with the past group I sent out on the third hole, where thy were waiting on the group ahead of them.

As a related aside, if you ask the starter for a tee rocomendation because you don't know the course, follow the recommendation. I saw a group ask me what tees they should play if they weren't very good, and I suggested the white tees behind the ladies tees for pace of play reasons. They promptly went to the second longest set of tees and started swinging away, taking 25 minutes on the first hole alone.

I also see this way to often, I volunteer marshal at my course and we had a 4 holding up the whole course because they insisted on playing the tips, I don't think a single one of them was much better than an 18 hdcp and they were on tees rated 74.5 slope 142. Maybe courses don't like doing this but if it were up to me I would just close the back tees especially there, we may get 2 or 3 players a day who can handle playing those tees so it wouldn't be like we upset the whole golfing public, or just move the things way forward on the weekend so they only play 10 yards longer than the next set but something should be done especially on the weekends.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

I also see this way to often, I volunteer marshal at my course and we had a 4 holding up the whole course because they insisted on playing the tips, I don't think a single one of them was much better than an 18 hdcp and they were on tees rated 74.5 slope 142. Maybe courses don't like doing this but if it were up to me I would just close the back tees especially there, we may get 2 or 3 players a day who can handle playing those tees so it wouldn't be like we upset the whole golfing public, or just move the things way forward on the weekend so they only play 10 yards longer than the next set but something should be done especially on the weekends.

Perhaps to play the very tips they might have a "handicap check" by the starter where the starter has access to a device capable of using handicap lookup services. If you would have a course handicap of at least below 10, maybe you could play from there? I personally find that sometimes the better players are the worst about slow play just because they take forever over a three foot putt. I mean, I can understand marking it, lining up your ball, and taking 1-2 practice strokes before putting it (especially if you're playing for money and it's a slippery breaking putt), but you don't have to analyze the thing for 30 seconds from every angle imaginable. The better players may get on in fewer strokes, but some of them sure make up for gained time once they're there.

My home course has tee recommendations for ranges of handicaps. Other courses require permission from the pro shop to play championship tees. It is a death march playing with high handicap golfers playing too far back. Some courses are 7500 yards back there and have 470-490 yard par 4's. My home course has a 248 yard par 3 from back tees. Sure it's CO and we get some altitude assist but holes like that eat poor golfers alive. The course is so long most would be hitting driver and a fairway just to get close to the green on most par 4's. Nobody wants to spend 5 hours watching someone torture themselves.

Dave :-)

My home course has tee recommendations for ranges of handicaps. Other courses require permission from the pro shop to play championship tees. It is a death march playing with high handicap golfers playing too far back. Some courses are 7500 yards back there and have 470-490 yard par 4's. My home course has a 248 yard par 3 from back tees. Sure it's CO and we get some altitude assist but holes like that eat poor golfers alive. The course is so long most would be hitting driver and a fairway just to get close to the green on most par 4's. Nobody wants to spend 5 hours watching someone torture themselves.

Are you talking about #17 from Heritage at Westmoor? If so, that hole is just plain nasty from the back tees. I played a two day tournament there through the RMJGT where they made us play the tips at that course, measuring 7450 yards in total.

Are you talking about #17 from Heritage at Westmoor? If so, that hole is just plain nasty from the back tees. I played a two day tournament there through the RMJGT where they made us play the tips at that course, measuring 7450 yards in total.

No it is number 11 at Todd Creek and it is uphill in addition to being long. I don't play that far back but that hole is my nemesis from any distsnce. I don't get it since it is pretty easy, no water just bunkers and a funky collection area. I made a 7 on it tonight. Heritage is brutal, everything is tough there. I don't see many guys that can hack the tips on those 7500 yard courses. At Todd Creek 9 has a pond and reedy area that is about a 200 yard carry uphill. The fairway starts about 15 yards past that. Just doesn't leave room for error. I played back there a few days ago coming in from 6-9 and played those 4 holes +2 but not sure I could see daily success from that far. I am certain it would slow me down. I was looking at the scorecard tonight while waiting behind slow pokes thinking about this thread. 10 is a 490 yard par 4 back there. Yes we are in CO but I rarely pair with guys that consistently hit 250+ drives. Holes like that would kill them.

Dave :-)

I don't like the attitude that "these types of players don't belong on the course at 7 am"... I definitely agree that slow golf is annoying, but the attitude in the post was somewhat arrogant. Should they have played faster, sure they should have, but not because it was "7 am". I would hazard to say that the attitude of "you don't belong here at this time" can be just as detrimental to the popularity of golf as slow play can be.

That's fine with me....

Groups that can't play in under 4hrs don't belong on the golf course where I play before 8am.........     If your group falls behind, you will likely be steamrolled if followed by regulars.    Please be sure not to play Stone Canyon early..that's for damn sure!

There is a different standard of play for early morning golf.............You need to keep up with the early fast groups, or get off the course..IMO

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Or do like me.  Get the first tee time of the day :)

I've had that time every weekend morning for many years..........     Not so much in the past year, which is why I hate being stuck behind slow people when I am still one of the first few tee times.  There is nothing I hate more when inconsiderate slow F##ks take one of the first times of the day.

What's in Paul's Bag:

I've had that time every weekend morning for many years..........     Not so much in the past year, which is why I hate being stuck behind slow people when I am still one of the first few tee times.  There is nothing I hate more when inconsiderate slow F##ks take one of the first times of the day.

You seem to be skilled enough to join a country club or a private course. Why don't you do that? You are much less likely to run into these issues and if it really means that much to you, I would think it's not a bad investment.

Dylan

Twitter: @d_brock504

You seem to be skilled enough to join a country club or a private course. Why don't you do that? You are much less likely to run into these issues and if it really means that much to you, I would think it's not a bad investment.

I have....I've bought memberships and belonged to 2 private clubs over the years when I lived in Ohio.  One thing is sure.....Joining a private club isn't a simple fix.    There is a give and take with both options.  The choice between exclusivity, cost, and quality of golf are to be considered and balanced.   On average, you'll pay more to play less course on the private scene.   My current choice is to buy an annual membership at one of the toughest upscale public courses in the state.  Because this course is one of the most expensive daily fee courses in the area, that keeps a lot of the RIFF-RAFF out.....(at least early) ...but there are still a few HACKERS that decide to take one of the first tee-times...and I will always bitch!!    I do play early.........so more often than not, I am well in front of the fray.    It's only once in awhile the fray gets in front me so I don't have it that bad.

The public or private decision is based on geography too.  When you play A LOT/100+ rounds per year, a 15 minute trip to the course or less is a must.    Where I live now, there are 2 private courses close enough for everyday play and both are inferior layouts compared to the close public alternatives.   I'd rather play the best course in the area, than gain a little exclusivity by playing a lesser golf course.    My 2 cents..... this is why I play public golf.  My current home course is 4.4 miles from driveway to parking lot....I can get there on average....in 9 minutes. ...and the course is a BRUTE!  For now, this is my best choice.

What's in Paul's Bag:

I think if your playing a public course you should expect 4.5 hours for a round.  I'm no longer surprised by an occasional 5 hour round.  It used to drive me crazy, but now I accept it... I can't do anything about it if the course is playing slow that day...   at 7 AM, I think I would have been frustrated though lol....

I'm a big fan of doing the little things to speed up your round.  Read the green from other angles as you walk up... Don't wait till it's your go to walk all the way around and look from every angle.  When your waiting to hit, know what club your going to hit.  After you hit get in the cart and don't put your club back in the bag yet.  Wait till your next shot when you go to get your club and put the previous club back.  Drive to the next tee box and write your score in.  Play ready golf and make sure everyone is cool with it at the beginning of your round.  Watch your group hit off the box and have an idea where the ball went (it can avoid having them look for their ball longer than they need to).  Mark your ball on the green, fix your pitch marks, pick up your buddies clubs when on the green, help put the pin in after the hole (and make sure it's in straight, if the guy behind you hits the pin and you left it crooked, you deserve to hear about it!)...

Time to tee off? - jump on the tee box and ask your group to "keep an eye on this" so they know it's time to go! - then bombs away!

What does get frustrating is the group behind you that is whining about how slow your group is playing when you are waiting on every hole for the group in front of you.  OR  That course marshal that will have the nerve to tell me I can hit from 225 - 235 when the group is on the green, or that I can tee off when the group is 280 down the middle of the fairway... Yeah, I'll wait on that and it's not going to hold us up.  -Other than that, I'm not going to get pissed, I'm out there to have fun and I'm going to try to not let you ruin my round if there is slow play that day (easier said than done right?).

NEVER FLIP THE TOW SWITCH ON THE CART and forget that you played that joke on your group and drive off.... :naughty:

JP

In the bag:  R1 Diver, Rocketballz 3 tour spoon (13*), Adams A12 pro 18* hybrid, 4-P Callaway Razr x black (dg s400 shafts), 50* & 58* Ping Tour S, and TM Ghost Manta Putter cut down to 32". and my Tour V2 Rangefinder (with extra batteries of course)!  Ball - Srixon Z Star XV

NEVER FLIP THE TOW SWITCH ON THE CART and forget that you played that joke on your group and drive off....

Tow switch?

I have....I've bought memberships and belonged to 2 private clubs over the years when I lived in Ohio.  One thing is sure.....Joining a private club isn't a simple fix.    There is a give and take with both options.  The choice between exclusivity, cost, and quality of golf are to be considered and balanced.   On average, you'll pay more to play less course on the private scene.   My current choice is to buy an annual membership at one of the toughest upscale public courses in the state.  Because this course is one of the most expensive daily fee courses in the area, that keeps a lot of the RIFF-RAFF out.....(at least early) ...but there are still a few HACKERS that decide to take one of the first tee-times...and I will always bitch!!    I do play early.........so more often than not, I am well in front of the fray.    It's only once in awhile the fray gets in front me so I don't have it that bad.

The public or private decision is based on geography too.  When you play A LOT/100+ rounds per year, a 15 minute trip to the course or less is a must.    Where I live now, there are 2 private courses close enough for everyday play and both are inferior layouts compared to the close public alternatives.   I'd rather play the best course in the area, than gain a little exclusivity by playing a lesser golf course.    My 2 cents..... this is why I play public golf.  My current home course is 4.4 miles from driveway to parking lot....I can get there on average....in 9 minutes. ...and the course is a BRUTE!  For now, this is my best choice.

I live in Houston so I have about 50 courses all within 60 minutes of me, so I don't belong to any course because of this. So I understand what you mean. However, I think you know that no matter what time you play, you might run into those "hackers" you speak of. It's just part of the game. I don't see the point in crying about it like you're doing. When I go play golf, I don't schedule anything else to do that day consequently. I guess some people just like to get all wound up and complain.

Dylan

Twitter: @d_brock504

I play early enough that 4.5hrs is never acceptable....

I just like to vent when a foolish group takes one of those first spots.  If I'm not out first, I am close behind.   630am is the starting time at my home track...never earlier.   My home course is very NON-walker friendly and the first group off always walks.  They are the only people I know that walk the course.   It's a doctor, his son,  and a friend that play.  I could easily join this group, but I have resisted. They play in under 4hrs, but it's an uncomfortable pairing for me because I know I can go ahead and play the course empty so much faster.   If they were the 2nd or 3rd group off.....I'd enjoy pairing with this group.  It makes no sense, but then again it does......When I get to the course early enough, I tend to just play through or in front of them.   this is so weird because if I get 2-3 groups behind, I just pair up..........Heh

This is only my 2nd year at my new course and I am still finding my way.   I know I am welcome to join the Docs group, but it's a weird situation for me.   Every time I meet them at the first tee, I choose to play ahead of them.

What's in Paul's Bag:

Note: This thread is 3551 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!