Jump to content
Vinsk

My Swing (Vinsk)

92 posts / 10459 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

There is a great stretch you can do to improve this with the club across the shoulder drill but with hands on the shaft instead of your chest.  You rotated to A4 and hold for 5 breaths. Then rotate through to the sameness position on the opposite side and hold. I do it in front of a mirror at times to make sure I am in the right position  

Do this three times while warming up. After a week or two you will notice you have more range. I do this as part of every warm up. 

Yes I’ve done this and it’s a good stretch. I don’t have any problem with rotating. In fact I can rotate my shoulders past 90* without any pain. It’s my left hip that may have an issue. I’m a Family Medicine doctor but  not an expert in othopedics but I know I have some issue with my left hip. I had to wear leg braces for my first two years of life and my left hip just lacks some flexibility. I can turn but then it almost seems to be stuck when I try to fire it back towards the target. I’ll send a video of the drill @iacas mentioned. But I do need to focus more on stretching. I tend to refuse to acknowledge I’m almost 50...lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

3 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Yes I’ve done this and it’s a good stretch. I don’t have any problem with rotating. In fact I can rotate my shoulders past 90* without any pain. It’s my left hip that may have an issue. I’m a Family Medicine doctor but  not an expert in othopedics but I know I have some issue with my left hip. I had to wear leg braces for my first two years of life and my left hip just lacks some flexibility. I can turn but then it almost seems to be stuck when I try to fire it back towards the target. I’ll send a video of the drill @iacas mentioned. But I do need to focus more on stretching. I tend to refuse to acknowledge I’m almost 50...lol

There is always golfing right handed like we normal people! :-P (my wife is left handed BTW).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

When I do the drill with the club in the mirror it looks like my rotation is good. Of course it ‘feels’ like rotating with my lead shoulder down I’ll slam the club in the ground behind the ball. I tell ya....it really makes my other sports I was good at seem so simple.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@Vinsk, hope you don't mind my commenting. I see that you are on Evolvr so if anything conflicting then please ignore.

I looked at your vids from 2015 at the beginning of thread. Watching those vids I think you are plenty flexible unless that has changed recently. 

IMO, shoulder turn (in effect torso turn) becomes flat when you stop engaging glutes and hamstring at address (that little 'mini squat' feel in the butt and hamstring). Without that I think joints lock up a bit and it is all too easy to almost stand up up and come out of your plane (like you have above) at A4. Then the hip joint has no option but to lock up on DS. I have the same fault but have recently working on correcting it.   

I think your post #9 from 2015 is a great example. You may think you are little too hunched/over bent and hands maybe too low (maybe a bit as Mike pointed out in the following posts) in that vid but I think you have got your 'mini squat' right. Your hip joint swiveled just fine in that instance. Your A2 and A3 positions are 10 times better in that swing IMO. No unnecessary arm early arm lifting, trail knee not locked, etc. Shoulder plane is much more vertical at A4.  

Of course I could be completely wrong but just thought I share this from my own experience. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks @GolfLug . I’m going to send my video tomorrow doing the rotation with club across chest. Erik definitely showed me how my shoulder tilt is too flat. I honestly don’t think I have a flexibility issue either. I think I just don’t have the proper ‘feel’ to execute the proper angles in a golf swing. I can skip a rock with full force and no locking or pain. I’m probably just frustrated I can’t seem to do basic movements properly without ‘feeling’ so damn awkward. I’m just glad I let my ignorant stubbornness subside and signed up for Evolvr and am going to work much smarter instead of blindly harder. Thank you for your input ...always welcomed and appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

Thanks @GolfLug . I’m going to send my video tomorrow doing the rotation with club across chest. Erik definitely showed me how my shoulder tilt is too flat. I honestly don’t think I have a flexibility issue either. I think I just don’t have the proper ‘feel’ to execute the proper angles in a golf swing. I can skip a rock with full force and no locking or pain. I’m probably just frustrated I can’t seem to do basic movements properly without ‘feeling’ so damn awkward. I’m just glad I let my ignorant stubbornness subside and signed up for Evolvr and am going to work much smarter instead of blindly harder. Thank you for your input ...always welcomed and appreciated.

I hope by "send" you mean post here.

Then just post a video of yourself swinging (you can link to my post above with the three steps if you wish) to Evolvr.

But don't just post a video of you doing kind of a drill for your first Evolvr submission.

So:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 minutes ago, iacas said:

I hope by "send" you mean post here.

Then just post a video of yourself swinging (you can link to my post above with the three steps if you wish) to Evolvr.

But don't just post a video of you doing kind of a drill for your first Evolvr submission.

So:

Yes I'm posting the drill here. Sorry wasn't clear about that. I've been caught up with work so tomorrow I should get a chance to make a good video set of FO/DTL for Evolvr. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 10/4/2018 at 7:48 PM, iacas said:

Let's see a video of you with a club across your shoulders, pointing it down to a spot just outside the golf ball.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Man, you’re a medical doctor? And you think that’s where your shoulders are? ;-)

Totally giving you shit there, btw.

You’re plenty flexible to swing better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Man, you’re a medical doctor? And you think that’s where your shoulders are? ;-)

Totally giving you shit there, btw.

You’re plenty flexible to swing better.

Lol...and well deserved. After I posted the vid and went back to your suggestion of the drill..I realized you said 'across your shoulders' not 'across your chest'....what a dope. But yes I don't have any problem turning like that. Is that a sufficient angle as far as shoulder tilt? I also posted a couple of swings to Evolvr....pretty damn excited about that. Gonna get better with this filming. I'm just real dopey with it. Thanks for all your input. Very appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

12 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Lol...and well deserved. After I posted the vid and went back to your suggestion of the drill..I realized you said 'across your shoulders' not 'across your chest'....what a dope. But yes I don't have any problem turning like that. Is that a sufficient angle as far as shoulder tilt? I also posted a couple of swings to Evolvr....pretty damn excited about that. Gonna get better with this filming. I'm just real dopey with it. Thanks for all your input. Very appreciated.

If you hold at the top of the turn, it will help build a bit of core strength too. You have plenty of turn there, but still can get a few degrees more and be stronger in the core. Try holding for 5 slow breaths each way when you warm up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Working on keeping my head more steady. I tend to move it with my body towards the target as I come down. Trying to not have as much shaft lean at set up. Working with Stephan on Evolvr. FWIW this was a very well struck 7i for me. Felt excellent despite all the faults. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

21 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Working on keeping my head more steady. I tend to move it with my body towards the target as I come down. Trying to not have as much shaft lean at set up. Working with Stephan on Evolvr. FWIW this was a very well struck 7i for me. Felt excellent despite all the faults. 

Looking good!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Vinsk, you kind of have the same problem as me: the arms stall out big time post impact and it basically becomes like a glorified pitch shot motion a frame or two past impact. Obviously since I was just informed of this issue in my swing, I basically look for it in every swing I look at now, but yours is the first one on here where I'm also seeing this problem. It's not as bad as what I was doing, but it's bad enough where I think it's okay for me to say something, at the very least, to make you aware of it. Check out my swing thread sometime if you want to read about it. 

My head moves forward too some. Swinging my arms across the chest post impact actually helped with that problem. Anyway, I guess the basic theory behind this piece is that, just like how the arms have to load across the chest on the backswing, they have to mirror it on the downswing too and reload across the chest through the strike. It's also part of the kinematic sequence, perhaps the most important part, where the speed transfers into the arms from the body. It should help with better inline impact as well.

In your swing, you can clearly see how late the arms reload, like it basically all occurs at the finish, and it really stands out even when viewed with the naked eye. 

Disregard this if the instructors tell me to shut up. You didn't post a DTL and in your previous DTL vids you definitely have a weird stall out thing with the body and the shoulder pitch has been too flat as well, so if that's still going on, you definitely need to keep working on that. But better arm function, at least for me, dramatically increased the speed and functionality in my swing. 

Edited by JetFan1983
misprints

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks @JetFan1983 I’ll go through your swing thread as I’m not sure what you’re saying..lol. Here’s a DTL:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

v1.PNGv2.PNG

fow.PNG

jones 1.PNG

Fowler and Bobby Jones. Most decent golfers have this look post impact though. Most guys on this site in the single digits do it too. The eyes are still looking at the ground but the hands have swung past across the chest quite a ways. To me, it feels like basically making an all arms swing with my upper body, but your feels may vary. Plus I know you have some turning issues coming down, so I'm hesitant to suggest feels here. 

Does it make more sense what I'm talking about now? Your arms are more in front of your chest rather than across it at these locations. 

 

Edit: Again tho, this is kind of a weird series of posts here for me because I hate stepping on an instructor's toes but at the same time, I know how much swinging my arms more helped me. I'm far from an instructor, and I'm certainly not telling you to do this and not listen to them. This is just one amateur to another. I don't think this is a common problem. Most people do this intuitively, but I never did, and you don't seem to either. 

Also, this wasn't all that difficult to practice or add to my swing, so I feel like mentioning this is more harmless than harmful, but I could be wrong. 

Edited by JetFan1983

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I certainly see how my head is looking to the target when my trail arm is parallel to the ground vs the pros’ heads still being down. And immediately after impact my arms do appear to be in front of my chest and not ‘across’ correct? That’ll be a tough one for me because on those swings my feels were:

1. Rotate lead hip (right hip) as fast as possible to clear it.

2. Whip the arms through as fast as I can.

The real killer is the shot from the FO view was awesome. I hit that 7i about 180yds and felt so solid. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I guess in some sense I brought this up just to bring my opinion into the light of day and see if it held up to scrutiny. 

I got down to an 8.9 not swinging my arms much at all past impact, so you can definitely hit good shots doing it. And Jim Furyk and David Duval are major champions and they really don't do it either, at least relative to other tour pros. 

Also, unrelated to this, your DTL does look better: better shoulder pitch and you are turning more coming down, likely decreasing shank probability like Erik was talking about earlier in the thread. Kudos there. 

As I read through your thread though, there was no discussion of this particularly piece, so even if this isn't your priority, maybe somewhere down the road it's an option you can go to on the range, six months, a year from now, who knows. 

I do apologize profusely though if this is not at all what you should focus on. I've gone through the evolvr ranks myself and it is definitely a helluva lot better than going this journey alone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...