IGNORED

In the Rough, Close to the Hole -- What's the Preferred Technique?

Note: This thread is 3580 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This is a good thread!

I been playing in some hilly courses and been finding whether I choose a hi flop or lo chip also depends on my stance more than the type of lie.

The toughest one would be a downhill stance with ball in the rough. How to play this? I cant see to use the bounce of the wedge on this one .

The toe down putting type chip doesnt seem go thru heavy grass that well.

I thinking the Mickelson type hinge and hold type chip with forward press would work the best in this lie.

We saw last PGA tournament how hard it is to play those kind off shots.

1. is a good position you can pretty much play it how you like.

2. probably a SW with a little more upright movement so you dig in under the ball, keeping in mind to accelerate trough the ball

3. i probably try to flop it out there and pray for the best

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

The toughest one would be a downhill stance with ball in the rough. How to play this? I cant see to use the bounce of the wedge on this one .

These are actually my favorite pitches to hit. Just do the same thing except try to get hips parallel to the slope at address. No reason you can't use the bounce on this shot.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

These are actually my favorite pitches to hit. Just do the same thing except try to get hips parallel to the slope at address. No reason you can't use the bounce on this shot.

There's a video on the forum where Erik is showing an interesting way to do downhill pitch shots, where you stand facing the target, and swing the club down the slope of the hill with the ball offset your right foot. Its kinda crazy looking, but it works really well.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

There's a video on the forum where Erik is showing an interesting way to do downhill pitch shots, where you stand facing the target, and swing the club down the slope of the hill with the ball offset your right foot. Its kinda crazy looking, but it works really well.

Yeah, and I want to say that is on this thread, but probably several pages back.

I attempt to play this shot just like @mvmac said that he does.  Except they're certainly not my favorite pitches to hit.

My favorite pitches to hit have always been high fastballs. ;-)

Can you post that video again?

Im been finding that how high the ball sits up in the rough makes a big different on shot selection.

I would still rather chip it but use the toe of the wedge if the ball sits low and do the standard H&H; if I can get the flange underneath the ball.

I was in similar spot to the picture #3 yesterday.  I had a nice drive and my approach shot was about 5 yards from the edge of the green but over a little hill also with deep grass on it.  The pin was close to the side I was on so there was not much room to play with.  I had no clue what shot to take and ended up scoring a 7!!!!!  I was very frustrated.  My first swing went under the ball and it went about 6 inches maybe.  My next shot went about half way there and stopped.  I then bladed it and shot it across the green.  It is no mystery why I am striving to break 100 for the first time.  I will have to come back and read every page of this thread so I can at least know how to approach it next time.

Driver: Taylormade RBZ :tmade: Irons: Titleist AP1 :titleist: PW-4 All other clubs are needing upgrading as I am able to afford it.

Can you post that video again?

Im been finding that how high the ball sits up in the rough makes a big different on shot selection.

I would still rather chip it but use the toe of the wedge if the ball sits low and do the standard H&H; if I can get the flange underneath the ball.

This video?

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Note: This thread is 3580 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!