IGNORED

Golf is a dying. How to make it more popular!

mikeylikesgolf
Note: This thread is 3606 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I guess so ... people who live in NJ don't know any different - they're used to paying $80-100 to play a round on a weekend.      It's all what you're used to.     I'm fortunate to live on the PA border - everything is much more affordable here...

I moved from NJ to CT. I was paying the same fee for crappier courses, so I just joined a decent course for a decent amount.

Nike Covert 2.0 10.5* with Fujikura Motore F3 Stiff Flex
Nike Covert 2.0 3 Wood 15* Kuro Kage X-stiff 71g
Nike Covert 2.0 21* 3 hybrid Kuro Kage X-stiff 85g
Nike VR Pro Combo CB 4--PW
Nike VR Pro forged 50, 56, 58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

You mean the 'American? model of golf is unsustainable ? Big shock that is :-O

What's in my bag

Cobra Speed LD-F 10.5* Driver

Callaway XHot 15* 3-wood

Tour Edge Bazooka 5-wood

Tour Edge Bazooka 7-wood

Wilson Staff Ci9 Irons 4-GW

Mizuno T-Zoid Sand Wedge 56*

Odyssey White Hot #2

That's not what I mean.  I'm talking about the people who say they don't have time to do some thing that they apparently would like to do (implying their day has fewer hours in it than everyone else or something?).  It's mostly just a pet peeve of mine, I would prefer it if people would simply say they choose to spend their time on other things instead of saying they don't have time to do X thing (like golf)-- because that is the reality of what is going on.  If someone is a little bit interested in golf but not interested enough to spend 4 hours on a course, that's totally fine and I'm cool with that.. but just say so, don't throw some nonsense out there like you don't have time.  It's just a bogus, meaningless excuse that has come to annoy me over the years for some reason.

Anyway, carry on!

OK so I shouldn't say that don't have enough time for golf because my time is really limited due to family and work obligations.  I should say...I CHOOSE to go to baptisms, communions, birthdays, holiday events, etc. and I CHOOSE to fix my house when repairs are needed and I CHOOSE to complete work projects with ridiculous schedules and answer email at all hours so I can keep my job rather than spending more time playing golf which I would love to do.

I can see your point.  The first sentence is totally nonsensical and I can understand how you would be annoyed.  The latter sentence clearly indicates that my priorities are out of whack because I choose them to be so and should therefore not have any remorse at not being able to play more golf.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane iMix 11.5*
Fairway: Cobra Baffler Rail F 3W & 7W
Irons:  Wilson Ci
Wedges:  Acer XB (52* & 56*)
Putter:  Cleveland Classic #10 with Winn Jumbo Pistol Grip

I just played at a course that required a payment of $16 per person for a cart. Now i can understand $16 for a cart...but per person is a bit much. Let's let twosomes put their money together and get one so we can speed up play. This is definitely not the first place I've seen it either and big surprise...their were people on the course and no one seemed to be using a cart. Play was very slow.

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

I just played at a course that required a payment of $16 per person for a cart. Now i can understand $16 for a cart...but per person is a bit much. Let's let twosomes put their money together and get one so we can speed up play. This is definitely not the first place I've seen it either and big surprise...their were people on the course and no one seemed to be using a cart. Play was very slow.

Not sure how widespread this is but here in Dallas, cart fees are directly controlled by the head pro, and revenues from such go directly to the head pro. He has sole discretion over fees, upkeep, and proceeds. That may just be on the munies here, not sure if it applies elsewhere. Anyone know if this is commonplace across the country, or even in other countries?

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Not sure I understand: two people should be faster than two people sharing a single cart.

And courses rarely if ever charge "per cart" - it's always per person. Otherwise you might have a foursome renting one cart and trying to stuff all their bags on it and carry four people around, etc. If it bothers you, consider that a cart is $32, and you get half price if you're a lone cart user.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Not sure I understand: two people should be faster than two people sharing a single cart.

And courses rarely if ever charge "per cart" - it's always per person. Otherwise you might have a foursome renting one cart and trying to stuff all their bags on it and carry four people around, etc. If it bothers you, consider that a cart is $32, and you get half price if you're a lone cart user.

Personally I've always witnessed two people using a cart go faster than two people on foot. If you timed it I'd be surprised if the two on foot were faster over 18 holes....though I could definitely see if golfers used the cart ineffectively it would slow things down, and you'd know better than I would so color me surprised.

Foursomes using one cart shouldn't be allowed by any means, but I suppose the main point I was getting at was...golf cart rentals need to be cheaper at a lot of courses. Unless carts truly slow play down...than I just don't know, haha.

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

I read this entire thread because of the delicious irony I kept reading.

Q.  We need more players why are they not coming?

A.  Takes too long and costs too much.

But if we get more players it is going to take longer and cost more.  More rats in the same maze and it will slow down.  Don't think so?  Look at rush hour traffic.  More players = more competition for T-times courses will raise their rates.  Supply and demand pure and simple.

God, I love the internet!!!!

I read this entire thread because of the delicious irony I kept reading.

Q.  We need more players why are they not coming?

A.  Takes too long and costs too much.

But if we get more players it is going to take longer and cost more.  More rats in the same maze and it will slow down.  Don't think so?  Look at rush hour traffic.  More players = more competition for T-times courses will raise their rates.  Supply and demand pure and simple.

God, I love the internet!!!!

The takes too long part isn't due to crowding.

Dave :-)

The takes too long part isn't due to crowding.

I'd disagree, unless you have some method to ensure that every additional person that takes up golf or starts to play again is going to adhere to pace of play policies.

Joe Paradiso

consider that a cart is $32, and you get half price if you're a lone cart user.

Not here in Dallas....I see $40, and $20 for a single.

Taylormade SLDR 10.5

Ping Anser 4-PW

Ping Anser 52,54,60

Ping G25 3 Wood 15

Ping I20 4 Hybrid

Scotty Cameron GoLo 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by iacas

consider that a cart is $32, and you get half price if you're a lone cart user.

Not here in Dallas....I see $40, and $20 for a single.

Then you are being gouged.  At my home course it's $14 per rider.  There are some where it's $15, but I don't remember anyplace that's $20.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Most public courses around Toronto have carts included in the greens fees, and it's mandatory to take them.

In Dallas I wish Cuban, Perot and Jones will put their money together and build a FULL service indoor golf course with retractable roof and charge no more than $60.00 during peak times and $40.00 twilight.

That would be really cool....pun intended.

In my bag Driver: Cleveland CG tour black Fairway Woods: Diablo Octane 3 wood; Diablo 5 wood Irons: Mizuno MP53 5-9 Hybrid: Cobra 3, 4 T-Rail Wedge: 46* Cleveland, 50* Cleveland, 54* Titleist, 60* Titleist Putter: Odyssey protype #6 Ball: Maxfli U4/U6... But I'm not really picky about the ball I use.

In Dallas I wish Cuban, Perot and Jones will put their money together and build a FULL service indoor golf course with retractable roof and charge no more than $60.00 during peak times and $40.00 twilight. . That would be really cool....pun intended.

In Dal too. Never heard of such a thing. Would be monumentally expensive to build, I would think. What's an average course, 150 acres or so? Ceilings would have to be around 200' high? Wow. I'm in when it's done bit I'd guess it would be a helluva lot more than $60 to play it.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Amateur golf is just like any other form of entertainment. The more affordable the entertainment, the more people there are available to use it. In today's economy, golf is not affordable to most folks once you factor in equipment, the gas to get to the golf course, and some of the higher green fees you come a cross. Let's not forget that most courses do not allow their visitors to bring in their own food and drink. Being forced to accept having to buy $5 hot dogs, and drinks does not sit well with a player who just paid $50+ dollars for an 18 hole round.  Less expensive golf courses also have their own a down sides. The cheaper the green fees, the more folks who use that course as a cost saving measure. More golfers on a course means longer rounds, and more damage to the course, especially the greens. More damage results in higher green fees, or just poorer course conditions. Golf instruction from a qualified professional teacher costs quite a bit too. Assuming you can find a qualified swing instructor who is not teaching on a pro tour some where. Then there are those first time golfers who have watched the pros on TV shoot scores in the mid 60s, but who can't break 100 themselves. These first time golfers might be ringers in adult softball, or some other sport they played in college or high school, but can't hit a decent golf ball to save their soul. When they think they can't play golf at the level they think they should, they leave the game. What about the golfer who is just learning the game, but is ridiculed by those players who own a better swing? To my way of thinking the slow, and/or not so good golfer helped to keep my green fees lower just by paying to be on the course.  There are quite a few reasons the game of golf is shrinking at the amateur level, with the biggest reason being the cost of play. Take me for instance. When I was playing 3-5 times a week, I found I shot the same scores regardless if the green fee was $25, $100, or $300. So since my scores did not change, why pay the extra $75?+ That $75+ savings allowed me to purchase those $5 hot dogs and drinks....LOL....{:<)

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Note: This thread is 3606 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!