IGNORED

2014 U.S. Opens (Plural!) at Pinehurst #2 Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3192 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Anyone know what putter Brandt Snedeker switched to? Golf Channel video did not mention what he switched to and I can't find much online. Interested to see what it is given he has used his Odyssey White Hot XG Rossie for the past 8 years.

Bridgestone's TD-02 model

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Bridgestone's TD-02 model

Thanks for the response and the pic. I wonder if he switches back at some point after the Open if he doesn't see the results he is looking for?

Matt Metzger - Newtown, PA

What's In My Bag

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 - Aldila Tour Rogue Silver - 69g - Stiff

3-Wood: TaylorMade R11s - ProForce V2, Stiff, 76g

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Burner - Stock shaft, Stiff

Irons: Callaway Apex 4-PW - True Temper XP-95, S300

Wedges: Cleveland Reg 588 Precision Forged, 52*, 56* & 60*

Putter: Kenny Giannini - G-4 No Neck, 34in

I got tickets with a hospitality tent for Sunday to it. My first golf tournament I am going to so that should be interesting. The course looks like crap on tv.

Enjoy yourself, take it all in and find some good vantage points

Its kind of interesting how Scott and Watson have terrible history at the US Open. They are probably the best 2 players in the world currently. I think this setup really limits the number of possible contenders. You figure it plays long, gotta hit it high, gotta be able to putt (or at least get hot with the putter) and need to be accurate. Errant tee shots will run you out of contention quickly. Really don't see a lot of possible winners this week. If you assume Scott and Watson will continue their struggles at the US Open, might not be too hard to narrow the winners. Other thing is the past winners typical come in with good form, which also limits the options.

Rory is probably the most talented in the world currently and loves this tournament; if he can just manage to limit those bad Friday rounds

Kuchar is an all around talent and has played well this year

Simpson knows this course better than anybody and loves the US Open, also got an all around game

Rose is interesting but has struggled with the putter and repeaters are very rare

Furyk has played well this year but i'm afraid lack of distance may hurt him too much

DJ is a Carolina boy and will stick out with the distance, he definitely has a shot at this if he can get hot with the putter

Day was my pick a few months ago but that thumb injury worries me too much

Mickelson has too many question marks in my opinion

Zach Johnson has an awful US Open resume

Westwood's best days are behind him and I dont think he will ever win this

Sergio is an option but kinda like DJ, needs a hot putter to have a shot

Spieth I can't put my finger on, but dont think he has enough experience to win this, just yet

Snedeker, see Day

Horschel is an interesting pick

GMac not coming in with good form

Dalaet, see Horschel

Fowler is too inconsistent, he's like a Rory lite

Kevin Na, see Horschel, really like Na's game, somewhat of an enigma why he hasn't won more

Cabrera, afraid best days are behind him, too inconsistent this year

Jimmy Walker, can't go wrong with him this year, seems consistent enough to grind out a win

Kaymer, think TPC will be his best win for awhile, frightens me to say 2 time major winner

Probably missing other popular picks, but just my opinions. Who knows Brendan ****ing Todd could win this seeing how this abysmal year has gone for most of the big names.

• Upvote 1

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

Looking at it from a UK perspective I like Donald. He has  been playing fairly steadily and he's a terrific putter. McIlroy is an obvious pick but I can't see him displaying enough consistency over the four days, Westwood can't putt well enough, Rose just hasn't convinced me yet this season, McDowell doesn't seem to be quite as good as he was, Casey might play well but it's probably too early in his comeback, Poulter's never going to be good enough.

So, maybe a very small bet on Donald at generous odds. Of the whole overseas contingent I like Kaymer's chances best, but in truth I think it's most likely to be an American winner.

The more I practise, the luckier I hope to get.

I've never understood this. To me, it was his dominance in his prime that was dull. I'm much more entertained by there being a large number of realistic contenders.

Agree to some point.  But the guys that are winning this year are doing it by not making mistakes.  With Tiger, Phil and other stars in their prime, they would win by using remarkable shots.  Stuff the average golfer would not be capable of.  I think that makes it more exciting too.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Quote:

Let's face it, Tiger would've won this if he was healthy...

I'm hoping for tough but fair conditions, and someone who plays well overall, not just someone who putts out of their mind...

LOL - your comment just shows how little you know.

The truth is that if Hogan wasn't in a car accident, and dead - then this is the exact type of course that he would win on.

Clearly Hogan would be the favorite!

No that not really right, Jack if he were only 40 year younger but used to playing with modern equipment is certain to have been the winner....or was I going to say Hagen, Snead or maybe I meant Young Tom Morris?

Actually if only that phenom who become the dominant player on tour in 2050 were to be born already then he'd beat Tiger on his best day . . . prove me wrong on that.

I wonder how long the Tiger lovers are going to hold out hope that he will dominate in majors?

It would certainly be good for golf if he were to win another one, or more.....but it has been 8 years.

Oh and the interview with Coore & Crenshaw on the golf channel was very good. And in looking at the course, the approach shots required, the short game and putting...I'm leaning more towards Spieth being a contender in this, those are all skills of his when on his game.

Players play, tough players win!

• Administrator

It would certainly be good for golf if he were to win another one, or more.....but it has been 8 years.

Eight years since what?

Thanks for the pics @Rick Martin .

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Enjoy yourself, take it all in and find some good vantage points

Thanks. I will. My wife is going with me and wants to follow Phil around all day, lol. By the way if you guys see a drunk guy stumble onto 18 on the last group and ask if they are sure that's their ball because I hit a Titleist too...well that's me.

James

Quote: LOL - your comment just shows how little you know. The truth is that if Hogan wasn't in a car accident, and dead - then this is the exact type of course that he would win on. Clearly Hogan would be the favorite! No that not really right, Jack if he were only 40 year younger but used to playing with modern equipment is certain to have been the winner....or was I going to say Hagen, Snead or maybe I meant Young Tom Morris? Actually if only that phenom who become the dominant player on tour in 2050 were to be born already then he'd beat Tiger on his best day . . . prove me wrong on that. I wonder how long the Tiger lovers are going to hold out hope that he will dominate in majors? It would certainly be good for golf if he were to win another one, or more.....but it has been 8 years. Oh and the interview with Coore & Crenshaw on the golf channel was very good. And in looking at the course, the approach shots required, the short game and putting...I'm leaning more towards Spieth being a contender in this, those are all skills of his when on his game.

You meant 6 years, but your point was not missed.

Eight years since what?

Thanks for the pics @Rick Martin.

damn it - now my secret is out. My real name is Biff Tannen, and I know that Tiger wins his next major in 2016 (now you can place your bets....but don't tell anyone else, okay?)

Players play, tough players win!

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Quote:

The truth is that if Hogan wasn't in a car accident, and dead - then this is the exact type of course that he would win on.

No that not really right, Jack if he were only 40 year younger but used to playing with modern equipment is certain to have been the winner....or was I going to say Hagen, Snead or maybe I meant Young Tom Morris?

Actually if only that phenom who become the dominant player on tour in 2050 were to be born already then he'd beat Tiger on his best day . . . prove me wrong on that.

I wonder how long the Tiger lovers are going to hold out hope that he will dominate in majors?

Oh and the interview with Coore & Crenshaw on the golf channel was very good. And in looking at the course, the approach shots required, the short game and putting...I'm leaning more towards Spieth being a contender in this, those are all skills of his when on his game.

sigh...why am i not allowed to be an unabashed Tiger apologist without jackwagons getting their thongs all in a bunch?  lighten up, francis.

Colin P.

Quote:

Did anybody else notice that Ben was squashed? He sputtered his way through that interview. Coore is obviously the brains in that tandem.

Bill M

Not sure I like the new Pinehurst. I guess time will tell. Very rough looking and one of the things I love about the US Open is the rough which they did away with this year. The greens look fantastic and I do think brown is good....just don't really like what they did off the fairways.

Not sure I like the new Pinehurst. I guess time will tell. Very rough looking and one of the things I love about the US Open is the rough which they did away with this year. The greens look fantastic and I do think brown is good....just don't really like what they did off the fairways.

They made the fairways so that they're lush in middle and brown on the sides. In other words, if you hit your drive in the middle of the fairway, it's not going to roll out, but if you hit it close to the edges, it's going to bounce into the shit. Should make things interesting.

Note: This thread is 3192 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!