IGNORED

Golf Hacks: Tips and Tricks

westcyderydin
Note: This thread is 3593 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This thread is just about little tips and tricks to help your score, or just to have a better time.

Here is one that I started doing a few years ago.  Maybe once or twice per season I would accidentally hit the wrong ball.  So I started writing a big black "H" above the logo on each side of the ball.

But then I hit the wrong ball that had a black sharpie mark that I mistook for my ball again.

So now I write a big blue sharpie "H" above the logo on each side of the ball and then draw a big circle around each logo.

I, and every other player in my group, know exactly whose ball that is.  I don't have to worry about hitting the wrong ball, and I also don't have to worry about other golfers accidentally hitting my ball.

It is just as easy as that.  What are some of yours?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Here is another one.

Rain Gloves.  It starts to rain and my opponents are mad because their grips are wet.  They are hitting shots all over the place and just want to get back to the clubhouse to dry off and have a drink.  At the same time, I am having a great time, comfortable in my rain gear, and having no problems gripping the club.

When I bought my first pair of rain gloves and used them in the rain i was kind of mad that I hadn't bought them sooner.

Here is another one.

Rain Gloves.  It starts to rain and my opponents are mad because their grips are wet.  They are hitting shots all over the place and just want to get back to the clubhouse to dry off and have a drink.  At the same time, I am having a great time, comfortable in my rain gear, and having no problems gripping the club.

When I bought my first pair of rain gloves and used them in the rain i was kind of mad that I hadn't bought them sooner.

I use a rain glove in the summer when it is hot and humid.  My hands sweat a lot in these condition and the rain glove improves the grip.  I got that tip from on the this forum's members.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

This thread is just about little tips and tricks to help your score, or just to have a better time.

Here is one that I started doing a few years ago.  Maybe once or twice per season I would accidentally hit the wrong ball.  So I started writing a big black "H" above the logo on each side of the ball.

But then I hit the wrong ball that had a black sharpie mark that I mistook for my ball again.

So now I write a big blue sharpie "H" above the logo on each side of the ball and then draw a big circle around each logo.

I, and every other player in my group, know exactly whose ball that is.  I don't have to worry about hitting the wrong ball, and I also don't have to worry about other golfers accidentally hitting my ball.

It is just as easy as that.  What are some of yours?

For positive ID, I use this:

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I listen to @mvmac about swing advice. One more: pick lesser known (worse) players for your 2nd and 3rd picks during TST major contests

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Don't try to chop the ball out of a sand trap. I haven't tried this lately, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't work from the examples I've seen.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

For positive ID, I use this:

That is pretty cool...tough to miss that logo!

Google it.  They have dozens of patterns available.

Rick

Here's  a pro-tip for bunker shots in golf...

wear sunglasses when attempting bunker shots against the wind ...

I did it on the last hole and got my eyes full of sand, there was even sand in my pockets. LOL

AT LEAST I MADE GOLF CHANNEL WORTHY SAND SAVE :dance:

sadly, I missed 1 foot par putt, and putted for bogey...

Here's  a pro-tip for bunker shots in golf... wear sunglasses when attempting bunker shots against the wind ... I did it on the last hole and got my eyes full of sand, there was even sand in my pockets. LOL AT LEAST I MADE GOLF CHANNEL WORTHY SAND SAVE :dance: sadly, I missed 1 foot par putt, and putted for bogey...

How do you make a bunker shot to within 1 foot then miss that putt? I don't see how that could happen.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Quote:

Originally Posted by late347

Here's  a pro-tip for bunker shots in golf...

wear sunglasses when attempting bunker shots against the wind...

I did it on the last hole and got my eyes full of sand, there was even sand in my pockets. LOL

AT LEAST I MADE GOLF CHANNEL WORTHY SAND SAVE

sadly, I missed 1 foot par putt, and putted for bogey...

How do you make a bunker shot to within 1 foot then miss that putt? I don't see how that could happen.

I was sort of wondering myself, but I once missed a putt inside of a foot in a competition match, so I'm not one to question too hard. :loco:

Rick

And making par defines a sand save ......

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

And making par defines a sand save......

...that too.

Kinda like saying, "yesterday I made a wicked up and down with my 60*, too bad I missed the putt for bogey."

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Quote:

Originally Posted by David in FL

And making par defines a sand save......

...that too.

Kinda like saying, "yesterday I made a wicked up and down with my 60*, too bad I missed the putt for bogey."

For me, I see it differently.  A sand save is for par, a sandy is just up and down from a bunker in 2.  Any up and down is just getting in the hole in 2 from off the green.  Doesn't matter what it's for.  I read the phrase literally.

For scrambling stats, then it has to be for par or better, and a par save is obvious.

Rick

For me, I see it differently.  A sand save is for par, a sandy is just up and down from a bunker in 2.  Any up and down is just getting in the hole in 2 from off the green.  Doesn't matter what it's for.  I read the phrase literally.

For scrambling stats, then it has to be for par or better, and a par save is obvious.

I always thought "Sandy" was the same as a sand save. Getting up and down from the bunker is taking two strokes.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I missed an 18 inch eagle putt a couple of weeks ago. :bugout:

The greens were in terrible shape. I'm not sure that's why I missed it but that's what I'm blaming it on. Couldn't possibly be my fault, right? :-D

My tip:

Don't fall in love with either high spin or high trajectory to stop the ball in the short game. Use only as much as necessary for the particular shot at hand.

Sometimes that means a full blown flop shot, sometimes it means just a simple rollout with a pitching wedge or 9 iron, and sometimes it can mean anything in between.

I missed an 18 inch eagle putt a couple of weeks ago.

The greens were in terrible shape. I'm not sure that's why I missed it but that's what I'm blaming it on. Couldn't possibly be my fault, right?

My tip:

Don't fall in love with either high spin or high trajectory to stop the ball in the short game. Use only as much as necessary for the particular shot at hand.

Sometimes that means a full blown flop shot, sometimes it means just a simple rollout with a pitching wedge or 9 iron, and sometimes it can mean anything in between.

I'm pretty much a one wedge guy around the greens, 56 degree sandwedge. I prefer it better. I like controlling trajectory with one club over using multiple clubs.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator

Technically… according to the PGA Tour…

Doesn't have to be for par.

I always wondered what would happen if a player hit it in a greenside bunker, hit across the green into another bunker, left it in the bunker, and then holed out his third bunker shot. Would he get 67% sand saves for just that one hole? :)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 3593 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!