IGNORED

American Dominance on LPGA in 2014 Totally Unexpected

Tontj5
Note: This thread is 3615 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

First let me congratulate Jessica Korda for winning the Airbus LPGA Classic. Jessica defeated Anna Nordqvist by 1 stroke in another incredibly exciting LPGA finish. At one point on the back nine, six players were tied for 1st place. Jessica birdied the 18th hole to secure her victory.

• Jessica Korda wins 2014 Airbus LPGA Classic

I have been critical at times the past couple of years, voicing my disappointment at the results of the American players'  finishes at the Solheim Cup, and especially major championships.  Going into the British Open last season, Asian players had won 11 consecutive major championships. American players won only 7 times last year in 28 tournaments. There was really no reason coming into the 2014 season to think that things would dramatically change. My reasoning was the following:

Stacy Lewis - Sure she has been getting her wins, but she seems to let many more get away. Look at all those second and 3rd place finishes.

Paula Creamer - She may break a record before she is finished for the most top 20 finishes, but I was really starting to doubt she would ever win again.

Lizette Salas - Contended often for 54 holes, but didn't always break 80 on Sunday.

Jessica Korda - So much potential but hadn't won since the first tournament of 2012.

Cristie Kerr - Well into her thirties now, her famous putter wasn't as magical as often as it used to be.

Michelle Wie - I gave up on her.

Lexi Thompson - Won twice late in the 2013 season and was my biggest hope.

The Brittany's - Solid players that seemed to be going in the wrong direction.

Gerina Piller - Getting better results every year, but can she win?

My wife and I might be the biggest LPGA fans on the planet. We attend many LPGA  tournaments during the year, including long distance flights to Carnoustie and St. Andrews. We started the 2014 season hopeful, but weren't holding our breaths. The results this year have been a dramatic turn around from the past few years. No one could have possibly expected this.

• Jessica Korda opens up the season winning the Pure Silk LPGA Classic.
  • Paula Creamer sinks a miracle 75 foot eagle putt in a sudden death playoff to win in Singapore.
  • Lexi Thompson wins the Kraft Nabisco Championship, the first major of the year.
  • Michelle Wie wins the LPGA Lotte Championship in her home state.
  • Stacy Lewis trounces the field in winning the North Texas LPGA Shootout.
  • Lizette Salas makes amends for her previous 4th round collapses, winning the Kingsmill Championship
  • Jessica Korda becomes the first American 2 time winner by winning the Airbus LPGA Classic.

WOW! Seven wins by six different players. No other country has had more than one player win this year. The Americans have now matched their entire win total of 2013. They have now also won two of the last three major championships.

The LPGA has so many great players that could win on any given week (Lydia Ko, Anna Nordqvist, and Karrie Webb have also won this year), that dominance by any one country I believe will be rare, and should be enjoyed while it lasts. With great players like Suzann Pettersen, Inbee Park, So Yeon Ryu, Ai Miyazato, Shanshan Feng, etc., fans from all over the world will get their chance to smile soon. That is what has always been Commissioner Michael Whan's vision, and what makes the LPGA such an exciting tour.

That said, with four of the next eleven LPGA events being major championships, the American fans have to be smiling from ear to ear.

It is refreshing.  At the same point, the Asian players seem to be struggling.  First Yani, now Inbee Park.  It is hard to stay at the top for long.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

LPGA is in better shape than it has been in years. Call me a jingoist but Americans contending week to week is what has brought me back. Great stuff.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

LPGA is in better shape than it has been in years. Call me a jingoist but Americans contending week to week is what has brought me back. Great stuff.

I don't think it's a jingoist position to be more attracted to recognizable names and people from where we are from. Every country likes it's own players.

For a while it seemed like every time I turned to an LPGA event and they showed the first leaderboard I didn't relate to any of the three word names on the board.

I can't even remember the girl with the slow swing that was lighting it up last year and was number one (maybe still is?) If she had a name like Sara Jones or something I would remember it.

I can't even remember the girl with the slow swing that was lighting it up last year and was number one (maybe still is?) If she had a name like Sara Jones or something I would remember it.

Her name is Inbee Park and she is still (just barely), #1.

Your points though are well taken.

I love the LPGA tour.  It is an individual competition, but there is a strong undercurrent of national pride on the line since there are so many countries represented.  Also, unlike the PGA tour, the LPGA really is a competition among the best of the best.  The PGA tour and European Tour both claim many of the world's top golfers.  But there is no other women's tour that comes close to the talent of the LPGA.

Note: This thread is 3615 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!