IGNORED

My toughest shot

Bej0520
Note: This thread is 3616 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

30 yards out, bunker in front of the green, flag right behind bunker. I just can't make this shot. I love to bump and run and obviously this isn't an option here. I carry a 44 degree PW, a 48 degree AW, and a 60 degree SW. I usually hit the SW in this situation. Maybe I need to add a Lob wedge?

Ignore the flag in this situation unless you have mastery of a spinning shot, IMO. Better to play from the fringe or leave yourself an easy 2 putt than to risk the bunker or being over the green. Better to avoid this shot altogether when possible, especially if you can hit more club and get into the bunker or greenside rough on the approach. Either of those options may seem like they'd cost you, but it's actually better to be there than the shot you're talking about. Especially if you consider there's a fair chance of going to one of those spots instead of the green from where you are. Just try to put it on the green if you can.

I've been hitting either my 54 or 60, getting my weight left and not using much hand action, mostly turning my body for speed. Doesn't get up in the air as much, but I'm able to check the ball within a few yards. It's all in the technique and to a fair extent the ball; the club matters less than most people think.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

30 yards out, bunker in front of the green, flag right behind bunker. I just can't make this shot. I love to bump and run and obviously this isn't an option here. I carry a 44 degree PW, a 48 degree AW, and a 60 degree SW. I usually hit the SW in this situation. Maybe I need to add a Lob wedge?

Generally a 60* wedge is considered to be a Lob wedge, with 56* being a "standard" sand wedge, but it varies from player to player.

In this situation my advice to you is to at least make sure you carry the bunker and get on the green to putt. If you aren't on a tight lie, I would play it by opening the face of my 60* wedge to add a bit of loft, lower the handle slightly at address, and then make a smooth swing through the ball. Opening the face and lowering the handle gets the ball higher in the air than normal (if you make more of a sweeping swing that is, opening the face can also create a low spinning shot if you hit more steeply) and allows it to land softer once it reaches the green for less roll. The key here to me is that I have to stay relaxed throughout the shot. If I don't I always end up hitting it too far and it doesn't come out as high for me, but that's likely a personal quirk.

If it is a tight lie, it's time to take your medicine and understand that it's hard to get it close in that situation. The critical part is just make sure that your next shot is a putt, even if it's from towards the back of the green. Just hit a pitch shot with a club you're most comfortable with and try to make it land on the fringe in front of the hole, erring on the side of hitting it too far rather than too short.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3616 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!