IGNORED

Video Logs (VLogs) of You Playing Golf! Post Your Own!!!

iacas
Note: This thread is 1048 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

6 hours ago, Grinde6 said:

What did you keep taking out of your back pocket on every shot, I noticed it on the green I guess.  Was that your phone to record your GPS location or?

Yeah, phone to use the GameGolf app.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 5 weeks later...

Alrighty then, finally got this edited to post the back 9 of the home course. Score wasn't great, but overall wasn't too bad. +11 since I forgot to put it in the video.

• Upvote 2

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

• 2 weeks later...

Warning: this is not for the faint of heart. If you were after a swing that was a combination of Charles Barkley's and Donald Trump's, this would be it.

Sorry for the poor quality (which is surpassed only by the poor swing mechanics). Tried to make the file small and succeeded in making it very pixellated/blurry instead. I have to view it full screen. But it served the purpose of confirming what I suspected (knew) was going on. My weight is staying so far back I'm action stepping back on my full swings. Also, very abbreviated backswing. 

While I can hit greens and fairways with this abomination, I'll never get to the level I hope to achieve.

Seeing how I swing on the course has motivated me to improve as never before. I'm already getting better results as seen in outside practice videos this week - much closer to my practice swings.

Five holes: par, dbl, dbl, par, and bogey. Pretty standard scoring.

Jon

6 minutes ago, JonMA1 said:

Warning: this is not for the faint of heart. If you were after a swing that was a combination of Charles Barkley's and Donald Trump's, this would be it.

Sorry for the poor quality (which is surpassed only by the poor swing mechanics). Tried to make the file small and succeeded in making it very pixellated/blurry instead. I have to view it full screen. But it served the purpose of confirming what I suspected (knew) was going on. My weight is staying so far back I'm action stepping back on my full swings. Also, very abbreviated backswing. 

While I can hit greens and fairways with this abomination, I'll never get to the level I hope to achieve.

Seeing how I swing on the course has motivated me to improve as never before. I'm already getting better results as seen in outside practice videos this week - much closer to my practice swings.

Five holes: par, dbl, dbl, par, and bogey. Pretty standard scoring.

Vlogging is a good way to compare your range swing to you course swing. It also helps you see where you made mistakes while playing. Keep it up, always good to see others sharing their rounds.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

3 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

Vlogging is a good way to compare your range swing to you course swing. It also helps you see where you made mistakes while playing. Keep it up, always good to see others sharing their rounds.

Thanks Jeremie. I will continue to use video on the course when it's applicable (not crowded). I think it will only help, as you say.

Question... the quality of your video seems very good. What is the file size of your finished and uploaded video (if you don't mind me asking)?

I'm using an iphone to capture video and "VideoPad" software to edit and save (Mac OS).

Jon

1 minute ago, JonMA1 said:

Thanks Jeremie. I will continue to use video on the course when it's applicable (not crowded). I think it will only help, as you say.

Question... the quality of your video seems very good. What is the file size of your finished and uploaded video (if you don't mind me asking)?

I'm using an iphone to capture video and "VideoPad" software to edit and save (Mac OS).

I'm not really sure what the size of my video is before uploading it, I use a cheap goPro style camera to record and windows movie maker to edit. I also record at 1080p and 60 fps though, so that helps with picture quality. When I get home I will see if I still have the original file to tell you the finished size.

• Upvote 1

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

I saw this thread a few days ago, so I figured I'd do one. I spent the first several holes messing with camera angles and what-not, a lot of which didn't even have me in the picture. My phone ran out of juice shortly after I started to get the hang of it, so I only got four holes in. I didn't feel like doing a voice-over for this, but I will for the next one. I'll post a hole-by-hole recap in here. I need to remember to charge my portable battery so I can get in a full round. I think I managed to record the shortest stretch of four holes on the course...

Forgive the vertical video; I used my cell phone and balanced it in one of the side pockets of my bag.

Hole 8

Nice bit of product placement for Cobra to start the video. This hole is short but it can be tricky, because the ball will be below your feet for your second shot if you're a righty. I hit a good tee shot, though I was a bit disappointed with the distance. I had about 130 into the middle. The flag was a bit back of the middle, and it was an uphill shot, so hit a 7-iron. I hit it a bit fat, but it just caught the front of the green. This green usually gives me a lot of trouble, but I made a pretty good two-putt for par here.

Hole 9

Another short hole, driver here can be a bit risky, due to a couple bunkers on the right side of the fairway, but it's not a very difficult hole if you're in the fairway (or even the rough, really). I hit a pretty good 3-wood here, but again the distance could've been better. I was about 130 from the middle, with the flag front left. I just went for the middle with an 8-iron, and struck it pretty well. Not the greatest putt (the part where I start tapping the green with my putter is some weird tic after I hit a lousy putt, I guess), but I'll always take a two-putt for par.

Hole 10

This hole makes me nervous, because it runs right along the parking lot, and I'm always afraid I'm going to pull-hook the crap out of my tee shot and send it through someone's windshield. My tee shot missed on the front right side of the green (that's usually where I miss). There's a deep bunker about five feet behind me (you can't see it in the video), so if I'm going to miss, front right is the spot. Decent second shot, probably should've made that putt, but oh well.

Hole 11

Another short-but-tricky hole. The fairway is pretty wide, and it's a downhill tee shot, but the fairway runs uphill so you don't get much roll from your tee shot. I was about 120 to the middle with the flag towards the front, and it was an uphill shot, so I figured a soft 9-iron would do the trick. I struck it well, perhaps a bit too well because the ball ended on the back of the green and left me with a difficult putt that I wasn't able to get close. This is the toughest green for me to putt on. Three-putt for bogey.

• Upvote 1

-Rich

• 7 months later...
  • Administrator

Now THERE is a VLOG! :-)

I just wanted to bump this thread for a few reasons:

• To get it going again. I want people to consider vlogging their rounds this season. It's fun, and editing can be fun (and it can be pretty painless, especially once you get good at it).
  • vlogger.svg.064342a6644fe7d25b873f80dc91To point out that we have a new VLOG award! It's not been awarded to anyone yet, but you can find it here: https://thesandtrap.com/awards/category/2-site-awards/. To earn this badge you have to have completed 3 VLOGs and posted them here. VLOGs should be at least seven holes, since that's what counts for a nine-hole round posted for handicap. :-)
  • To encourage people to post VLOGs of OTHER people playing. It doesn't just have to be us. It can be like the above.

I think the Newport Cup applications have led to some really nice VLOGs already. Let's see some more!

• Upvote 3

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 3 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

So this is completely unedited

Not bad for a first go around.  Does your phone/camera have a timer?  I found that helpful to limit the amount of "walking" I had to edit.  I found the video added 20 years to my age.  Some find it adds weight.  ;-)

• Upvote 2

Brian Kuehn

9 minutes ago, bkuehn1952 said:

Not bad for a first go around.  Does your phone/camera have a timer?  I found that helpful to limit the amount of "walking" I had to edit.  I found the video added 20 years to my age.  Some find it adds weight.  ;-)

Ahh, just found the timer! Will use it next time. Lol at the weight and age... I think I look bigger (wider AND taller) overall than I really am. I'm a fairly small fella. Some other holes I captured from distance (I will post later) do better justice. I am also not proud of how disheveled I look. Will try to improve. And lastly, I realized that my habit of addressing with arms to close to body has returned.

So yeah, it is great how much I 'learned' about myself watching myself play a few holes while I cringed but it is what it is. In spite of how much @jsgolfer (:-D) hates this course (it is true that some holes are just purely gimmick like 8th and 14th holes with hit over mounds to surrounded amphitheater greens) I absolutely love the look and feel of being on a windswept Irish course.. 

Vishal S.

30 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

Ahh, just found the timer! Will use it next time. Lol at the weight and age... I think I look bigger (wider AND taller) overall than I really am. I'm a fairly small fella. Some other holes I captured from distance (I will post later) do better justice. I am also not proud of how disheveled I look. Will try to improve. And lastly, I realized that my habit of addressing with arms to close to body has returned.

So yeah, it is great how much I 'learned' about myself watching myself play a few holes while I cringed but it is what it is. In spite of how much @jsgolfer (:-D) hates this course (it is true that some holes are just purely gimmick like 8th and 14th holes with hit over mounds to surrounded amphitheater greens) I absolutely love the look and feel of being on a windswept Irish course.. 

Nothing a few bulldozers couldn't fix.  ;-)

As an FYI - here is my review of the golf course in 2014 when I played the course.

"Wow, color me unimpressed with this golf course. Conditions were dreadful, bunkers were atrocious, this course tried to be Tobacco Road in Virginia and failed woefully. Greens were just aerated, so knew that going in, but I couldn't believe how bad the rest of the conditions were. The bunkers, for the most part, were not playable. These were probably the worst bunkers I've ever played out of, no sand, some were soaking wet, had to fight the bees off in one and it was over 100 degrees the day before. Lots of dead and diseased spots on the greens, fairways weren't in great shape either.  Layout was all over the place, pretty much the most un-enjoyable golf course I've ever played.

However, the staff was great, but I wouldn't play this course again nor could they pay me to play it. Not worth the money and anyone who rates this as the top of anything, other than the heap should be ashamed of themselves."

Edit: And Tobacco Road isn't a favorite either.  I've played two Strantz courses and didn't like either one.  I'm not a fan of Pete Dye courses either.  His and Strantz courses just seem like fake, bulldozer created hills/mounds and blind shots everywhere.  

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

• Administrator
1 hour ago, jsgolfer said:

Edit: And Tobacco Road isn't a favorite either.  I've played two Strantz courses and didn't like either one.  I'm not a fan of Pete Dye courses either.  His and Strantz courses just seem like fake, bulldozer created hills/mounds and blind shots everywhere.  

Go play Caledonia. Different world.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just now, iacas said:

Go play Caledonia. Different world.

I heard that Caledonia was a great course and nothing like the others, next time I'm in MB I will definitely go play. :-)

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, jsgolfer said:

I heard that Caledonia was a great course and nothing like the others, next time I'm in MB I will definitely go play. :-)

Don't get stuck thinking all his courses are the same. He has more variety than almost any architect out there.

21 hours ago, GolfLug said:

So this is completely unedited since I am trying to get our IT guy to install Movie Maker to stitch together all my clips. I vlogged 5 holes at Royal New Kent in Providence Forge, VA (Mike Stranz design - sister course to Tobacco Road).

I am just going to post the 4 clips of Par 3 15 (one of my favorites on this course). Once I finish editing and stitching together I will post a single continuous vlog..

But he'd have to shave his head.

KalPenn.jpg

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

But he'd have to shave his head.

KalPenn.jpg

Ha ha.. I see it too. Good find. I like him more than the Slumdog Millionaire kid...

Vishal S.

Note: This thread is 1048 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!