IGNORED

Breaking Bad Club - A Thread for Golfers Trying to Break 100

Gipper
Note: This thread is 1340 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have only just started playing this year didn't even own my own clubs up until about 4 months ago and prior to that only playing about once or twice a year and shooting in the 130 range without keeping proper score. This year I went out with a couple of friends early on and kind of got hooked and I've been going after it pretty hard lately trying to get better. I started off the summer shooting in the 120s and just being just horrible overall. I generally hit about 100 balls 3-4 nights a week (how constructive is the practice is yet tbd) and I play about 2 rounds total a week. My main killer has been my complete inability to hit an iron its past the point of frustrating I hit my wedges just fine and can occasionally find the sweet spot down to my 7 iron but there is absolutely 0 consistency. I've still managed to luck my way to a 97 a few weeks back but haven't been able to get under 100 since and have been seemingly stuck at about 103-105 every time out. Well yesterday I went and played a 9 hole course that was fairly cheap and let you golf all day. I went around 3 times my first time around I was just 1 over through 5 with 2 pars 2 bogeys and a birdie and was feeling like a world beater then I scuffled the rest of the way and came out of it with a 47 on a par 36 course which I was still pretty happy with. My second time through I was much more consistent had another birdie and shot a 46 my third time through I think I was getting a little worn out and shot a 51 with a lot of double bogeys. I didn't shoot anything over a 7 all day which is rare and had quite a few GIR which I feel is a step in the right direction. So overall a 144 over 27 holes I'm really happy with the day and I'm hoping by the end of the season to be shooting consistently around 95 with "big" plans for the future!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I was replying to another thread when I remembered something that really worked for me in the beginning.

Swing easily and find a speed that works for you when you are on the range. Match that swing to a metronome app - get any free one and use the tap tempo feature to match your swing tempo.

Now store that speed (write it down) in the metronome app.

Now go on the course and start the metronome and swing to that speed. I think you may be amazed at how well this works. Although I don't do this now, I remember it helping me make great shots when I was starting out. I think you will find that your on course "tempo" i.e. swing speed is much higher than when you are relaxed on the driving range and this can be a problem on the course.

Anyway, hope it helps.

Well, I finally shot a 97 today. It's my best score ever, but it happened on a par 69 course, and I shot 106 yesterday on a par 72, so I'm not jumping for joy just yet. Even so it is the lowest course rating differential I've shot so far so all in all a pretty good day of golf. [URL=http://golfshot.com/Rounds/Detail/231-30447814-30448057]Scorecard[/URL]

Driver: TaylorMade Aeroburner;  9.5* S-Flex
3-Wood: TaylorMade Aeroburner;  15* 
S-Flex
Hybrids: Nike Vapor Speed 3-5 Steel Stiff
Irons: Nike Vapor Speed 6-Pw Steel Stiff
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Satin Black; 52, 56, 60
Putter: Odyssey Works 2-Ball
Grips: Good Grip Tour Wrap Medium 
Ball: ProV1

Nice going @Cupcakus ! Congratulations.

I shot a 52 yesterday on 9 holes. Not what I was hoping for, and on the course it felt like I played pretty bad. In the end, with 16 stablefort points, it didn't go that bad apparently. Had troubles with my irons and hybrid (which normally is my favorite club); was shooting pretty straight, but no distance at all. Pretty weird. Strange thing is that off the tee with my driver it went better then ever. Chipping and putting also was okay (2 three putts, 3 one putts and the rest 2 putts). Soon on vacation to Greece now, in 3 weeks I will go for 18 holes and hopefully break 100.

~Jorrit

Played 9 holes with a couple folks from work last night. Managed a 50 , which includes 4 or 5 duffed shots. Two duffed pitches on the same hole that went a foot each (forgot to use my hybrid as a thick grass putter)  and two hybrid fairway shots that went no where, grrrrrrrrr.

The single who was with us, shot a -2. He hit so far that he was forced to use a three wood on most dog legs. It was enjoyable watching that show.

Well, I finally shot a 97 today. It's my best score ever, but it happened on a par 69 course, and I shot 106 yesterday on a par 72, so I'm not jumping for joy just yet. Even so it is the lowest course rating differential I've shot so far so all in all a pretty good day of golf.

Scorecard

Congrats! :dance: Now do it again and again....... :-D

I took over a week off without even touching a club.  Letting my body rest a little and heal up.  I must have slept weird and my neck, shoulder blades, and back would hurt like hell when moved a certain way.  I'm sure swinging a club would not have been the best medicine.  Must also learn not to sleep with air conditioning on in buttoned up room.

I'm debating on getting into the second flight division of the club championship this weekend.  I don't have a chance in hell but it would give me two days of being in competition.  I have held off so far this on getting into any of the tournaments because I was a total hacker and didn't want to ruin the experience for others.  I still have moments of being a hacker but they are not as pronounced.

Got back out on the course the 18th and came home with a 49/54 for a 103.   It felt strange swinging a club and it was like I was tuned out to things.  I had 1 bogey and three straight pars on the front to go with four bogeys on the back.  The rest was stupid crap stuff.

Signed up for 18 with the cart yesterday and came home with a 49 on the front.  The back turned into a practice session.  The gps watch battery died on number 10.  I did not play half bad with just going by the yardage markers.  Duh, I did have to look at the scorecard to see what the colors meant.  Stupid electronics have turned me into an imbecile.  The club pro asked me if I've been putting in scores.  I told him if you see me putting on the green with the flag in then I'm practicing.  Everything else is fair game and even the ugly rounds get entered.  He liked that because it shows the true potential of how you play.

Driver:  :nike:  Vapor Pro 9.5°  Wood & Hybrids : :nike:Covert Tour 13°, 18° & 21°
Irons & Wedges:
  :nike:  Covert 2.0  5i - AW,  :titleist:   56-14F,  60-07S
Putter:     :titleist:Newport Select
Balls:  :bridgestone: B330-RX

Congrats on everyone that has broke 100, since I have posted/read this thread.    My goal was to break 100 before I have played for 1 year.  This weekend will make 10 months of playing.  I have broke 100 several times with my lowest round back several months ago with an 89.  Last time I played 18 I shout 97.  I try and walk 9 holes every morning (M-F) and occasionally play 18 on the weekend.  I seem to be stuck in 48-53 range.

I would like to consistently shoot less than 50/100 before the next 2 months ( 1 year of playing).

Just wanted to thank everyone for their advise from this thread as it has help me get as far as I have.

Well I did it again, so maybe it wasn't a fluke, shot 51 on the front, my driver was everywhere but straight, and my hero shot to intentionally slice the ball with a 5 wood around a tree just hit the tree and bounced 10 yards backwards.  But I shot a 45 on the back to card a 96.  The driver started cooperating and I mixed in with the threesome behind me which kept the pace a lot better as I kept running into the terrible foursome ahead of me and had to wait 10 minutes at every tee.

Game Golf round (I just received this little toy today, so I did forget to always tag each shot and had to manually add them back in later from memory)

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/Cupcakus/round/541598

Golfshot Scorecard

http://golfshot.com/Rounds/Detail/233-30488305-30488550

Driver: TaylorMade Aeroburner;  9.5* S-Flex
3-Wood: TaylorMade Aeroburner;  15* 
S-Flex
Hybrids: Nike Vapor Speed 3-5 Steel Stiff
Irons: Nike Vapor Speed 6-Pw Steel Stiff
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Satin Black; 52, 56, 60
Putter: Odyssey Works 2-Ball
Grips: Good Grip Tour Wrap Medium 
Ball: ProV1

Shot a 103 today with 3 quadruple bogies. Everything just fell apart on those holes and I felt decent on the rest. I just couldn't make a par putt. I was on the green putting for at least par on the 15 other holes including a 4 putt after getting on a Par 4 in 2. I thought for sure I would do it today after yesterday's range session but the swing changes are gradual. Sometimes my body just fights with me when it starts getting hot.

- David -

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo

Woods: 3W - Callaway X2 Hot

Hybrid: 4 Walter Hagan

Irons: Callaway X-Hot 4 - AW 

Wedge: 52* - Cleveland CG15 Zip Black, 60* - Generic 

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #3

I've missed this thread. I'm back in this group. Shot a 51 for 9 holes for my last time out. I haven't broke 100 since July.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

I just looked back at my scorecard, 5 3-putts and 1 4-putt. I sure there were more putts from the fringe.....not a good day on the greens. Makes you want to go back out because of all the lost strokes.

- David -

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo

Woods: 3W - Callaway X2 Hot

Hybrid: 4 Walter Hagan

Irons: Callaway X-Hot 4 - AW 

Wedge: 52* - Cleveland CG15 Zip Black, 60* - Generic 

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #3

shot 98 today, my best game in 2-3 years ( barelly played ). After 101,106 and 107 the past 3 games, i was finally consistent enough to not make super boogey (+4.5.etc...). Played 51 on the front with wayyy to many stupid mistakes, 47 on the back with 4 pars.

Played more golf in the last 2 weeks then the last 2 years, and i am kicking myself for it, definitely hooked again haha. Hopping to shoot low 90s high 80s next

Set my personal best 9-round on my course of +10. Was playing in some extreme wind and after-rain conditions in Winnipeg that day. The course is pretty open to wind, and more holes were perpendicular to the wind than not. I actually think I had a +7/8 possible in better conditions, and if I decided to not use a 5i shot, a club I rarely pull out and shoot. (Duffed the shot and got like 25 yards out of it)

Went to a new course on Saturday and shot 46 on the front (my personal best) and completely lost it on the back with a 60. A couple OB shots and greens that seemed to get faster as the day went on really took their toll. All in all though, I feel I am getting better, but damn it's a slow process!

I shot a 48 this week. I am so close to breaking this. Cracked ribs had me out for 3 weeks or I think I would have done it by now.

Driver: Taylormade RBZ :tmade: Irons: Titleist AP1 :titleist: PW-4 All other clubs are needing upgrading as I am able to afford it.

Oh man after taking a few steps forward in the past six weeks or so I took a giant leap backwards today. Topped balls, three putts, OBs and quads all around. After losing a half dozen balls in the past month I think I lost eight with errant tee shots, water hazards and just plain piss poor aiming. I just could not get my head in the game or keep my head down during my shots. I'm not going to beat myself up over it. I know I can golf better than that if I can keep my shit together. Hopefully I'll be back on track tomorrow morning.

Corey

Just started golfing about 4 months ago. Spent a month or two after getting clubs going to the range and getting my swing down.  I have played a total of 4 and 1/2 rounds (3 full rounds and 3 9 hole days).  The first 9 I played I shot a 67, then a 58. My first full round I shot a 124 on a par 72.  The second full round I played I shot an 98  (3 pars and 5 bogeys).  It was one of those perfect days where all my drives found the fairway, and I didn't blow up on any holes.  The biggest difference was I started using an app on my phone to determine the distance to the green.  That and I kept a cheat sheet of the distances I was hitting with each club, which made club selection much easier.  The course I was playing was an easy course, with not a lot of hazards, plus there was no one around me so I could play at my own pace and relax.  My next round was back to reality as I shot a 115 on the same course.  If I can ever get my approach shots down and figure out the putting (it's ugly) maybe I can get below 100 again.  Still looking to get my first birdie.  Going out tomorrow for another 9, we'll see how it goes.

Question for everyone:  on the 10th hole, I hit a drive over a pond and it struck a power line and I heard it hit into some trees down the right side of the fairway.  I played it from where I found it and managed to salvage a double bogey on the hole.  Not sure why power lines are in the field of play ahead of a tee box, but if I couldn't find the ball, or it ricocheted into the pond,  do I take a penalty on that and just rehit?

Note: This thread is 1340 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!