IGNORED

Breaking Bad Club - A Thread for Golfers Trying to Break 100

Gipper
Note: This thread is 1319 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

FREE advice for those of u with breaking 100 as a goal. Visit pluggedingolf.com. And or google search plugged in golf, how to break 100. Or do like me and search plugged in golf how to break 90. I never knew about the 100 one, but after reading their how to break 90 plan I shot an 89 two weeks later. Love the way they break it down and they give some really great advice! Check it out, hope it helps! Best of luck to all. 

• Upvote 1
  • Informative 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Very good article. Thx stealthhwk. I am going to use this, it really simplifies an approach.  

Driver: Taylormade RBZ :tmade: Irons: Titleist AP1 :titleist: PW-4 All other clubs are needing upgrading as I am able to afford it.

32 minutes ago, Gipper said:

Very good article. Thx stealthhwk. I am going to use this, it really simplifies an approach.  

No problem. It just did wonders for my game. Wish I could have stumbled across all that information years earlier!

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/2/2015 at 8:12 AM, rrives said:

Well I have been playing for 1 year now.  My goal for the year was to shoot below 100 on average.  I broke 100 for the first time several months ago, but still shot on average 102-105.  Well I finally have been averaging below 100.  My GameGolf average score is now below 100!!   The goal for this year is now to get that down below 90.

My driving is still inconsistent.   But my largest issue is my approach shot, I still mishit by second shot way to much.  My iron play needs lots of improvement including distance and aim.  

Thanks to all the post and helpful tips from this thread!

first_year_golf.jpg

Great job Randy!

On 3/4/2016 at 4:58 PM, Gipper said:

So who is going to break 100 this year.  Broken ribs in July last year made me lose 5 weeks of golf then I shot 101-105 a handful of times before having 4 straight 9 hole scores in the upper 40's including a 46. 

In April I am playing 6 rounds of golf in Orlando.  I have been working hard on my short game and got a new putter.  It's going to happen this season. 

I only had one round under 100 last year but my scores were consistently lower, so I have high hopes for multiple rounds under 100 this season.

Let us know how how your Orlando golf goes Gipper....

Bill Z.

:ping: G15 Driver
:tmade: RBZ Stage 2 3 wood
:adams: Tight Lies Ovation 5 wood
:adams: Tight Lies Ovation 7 wood
:tmade: Burner 2.0 4I-AW
:cleveland: CG15 56
DLR Hog 1005D Putter

The hunt is on!  My local course opened today.  "Pre-season" rates are only $5 to walk 9, $10 to walk 18.

Ran out of work at 4 and played 9.  I had 47 for 8* holes.  Not very good, really, but I had some decent drives, no lost balls, and made a birdie putt from the fringe.

* I would have scored all 8 but my Game Golf app wasn't reading the tags so after the first hole, I was manually entering strokes.

• Upvote 1

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

Finally!!!! Front 51 Back 47 for a 98! The article that @stealthhwk posted was a huge help.  I tweaked the approach slightly but it helped me finally get there. 

I am pretty pumped right now. 

Driver: Taylormade RBZ :tmade: Irons: Titleist AP1 :titleist: PW-4 All other clubs are needing upgrading as I am able to afford it.

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, Gipper said:

Finally!!!! Front 51 Back 47 for a 98! The article that @stealthhwk posted was a huge help.  I tweaked the approach slightly but it helped me finally get there. 

I gave you the "Broke 100" Achievement badge. Congratulations!

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

I gave you the "Broke 100" Achievement badge. Congratulations!

Thx Iacas!

19 minutes ago, Gipper said:

Congratulations!  :dance:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Gipper said:

CONGRATS!!! Im so glad the article helped! Im curious, how did u tweak the approach?

1 hour ago, stealthhwk said:

CONGRATS!!! Im so glad the article helped! Im curious, how did u tweak the approach?

I kept the driver....  I hit it only about 210-220 but I keep it fairly straight.   After that only 7iron on down.  I kept the 3w, hybrids and hi irons in my bag.  aimed for the center of all the greens. 

1 hour ago, coldru said:

Congrats, Good luck on 90! 

My goal for this year was a 94.... Would love an 89.

1 hour ago, Gipper said:

I kept the driver....  I hit it only about 210-220 but I keep it fairly straight.   After that only 7iron on down.  I kept the 3w, hybrids and hi irons in my bag.  aimed for the center of all the greens. 

My goal for this year was a 94.... Would love an 89.

Good deal!! A simple word of advice...dont get too greedy too fast. Enjoy breaking your scoring barrier for a while. After all, isnt that the point. Secondly, set new goals for your game as you progress but be careful not to bite off more than you can chew. When I broke 100, I immediately set out to break 90. This was a terrible mistake as I missed the reward for breaking my first scoring barrier and started trying WAAAAY too hard. This wrecked my game, raised my handicap, and ruined my enjoyment of the game. Took me two years to get back on track. So, set new goals, but remember baby steps. My suggestion; now that you broke 100 is to go a few rounds trying NOT to shoot over 100. After youve done that a few times, then its time to re assess and decide if you wanna try to break the 90 barrier next.

And again...CONGRATS! :)

• Upvote 1

Played my first 18 holes this morning.  Temperature at the first hole, about 35 degrees.  By the end it was in the mid 40s at least.

Score 51/56 for a 107.  Tried using just my driver, then 7-iron and smaller.  I didn't get in trouble with my driver, but wasn't getting much distance from it either.  

That is some chilli play.... Where do you think you left strokes out there?

23 minutes ago, krupa said:

Played my first 18 holes this morning.  Temperature at the first hole, about 35 degrees.  By the end it was in the mid 40s at least.

Score 51/56 for a 107.  Tried using just my driver, then 7-iron and smaller.  I didn't get in trouble with my driver, but wasn't getting much distance from it either.  

7 minutes ago, Gipper said:

That is some chilli play.... Where do you think you left strokes out there?

This is where Game Golf is awesome:  http://www.gamegolf.com/player/krupa/round/790902?hole_id=22566497

I had one really bad hole, where I was off in a parallel fairway and had trouble getting back over.

Other than that, I just didn't have any distance.  Where I usually expect a 7I to go about 130-140, it was going 100-120.   Was it the cold temperatures?  Was it me being stiff because of the cold temperatures?

I have never played golf in such cold temperatures before.  (I went early because I knew the course would be empty.)  It may be worth a thread on its own, but what prep is needed before playing in cold temps?  I had left my clubs in my car over night so they were as cold as I was.  

1 hour ago, krupa said:

This is where Game Golf is awesome:  http://www.gamegolf.com/player/krupa/round/790902?hole_id=22566497

I had one really bad hole, where I was off in a parallel fairway and had trouble getting back over.

Other than that, I just didn't have any distance.  Where I usually expect a 7I to go about 130-140, it was going 100-120.   Was it the cold temperatures?  Was it me being stiff because of the cold temperatures?

I have never played golf in such cold temperatures before.  (I went early because I knew the course would be empty.)  It may be worth a thread on its own, but what prep is needed before playing in cold temps?  I had left my clubs in my car over night so they were as cold as I was.  

Cold temps have a much greater effect on the person vs the equipment imho. The distance loss in cold weather is there but in my experience its smaller than most golfers realize. That said your stats tell me a couple things. First, it gave a distance for your putts, not the number of putts. Putts make up a lot more on the card then most of us realize. Any idea how many u had? 2ndly, your driver distance was near identical to your 7 iron. You need to figure out why. Driver and iron swing are really identical but the setup is very different so Id look there first. Third, I really hope it warms up for ya soon!

1 hour ago, krupa said:

1 hour ago, stealthhwk said:

Cold temps have a much greater effect on the person vs the equipment imho. The distance loss in cold weather is there but in my experience its smaller than most golfers realize. That said your stats tell me a couple things. First, it gave a distance for your putts, not the number of putts. Putts make up a lot more on the card then most of us realize. Any idea how many u had? 2ndly, your driver distance was near identical to your 7 iron. You need to figure out why. Driver and iron swing are really identical but the setup is very different so Id look there first. Third, I really hope it warms up for ya soon!

I averaged 2.28 putts per hole.  I definitely missed some short putts that I should have made.

As for driving distance, I average 199yds (according to Game Golf).  I think the short driving today was due to it being early in the season, body stiffness, and cold hands.  That said, I certainly need to work on all aspects of my game.

My original GG link was just one hole, here's the summary: http://www.gamegolf.com/player/krupa/round/790902

Edited by krupa

Note: This thread is 1319 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!