IGNORED

Breaking Bad Club - A Thread for Golfers Trying to Break 100

Gipper
Note: This thread is 1338 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

23 minutes ago, krupa said:

I averaged 2.28 putts per hole.  I definitely missed some short putts that I should have made.

As for driving distance, I average 199yds (according to Game Golf).  I think the short driving today was due to it being early in the season, body stiffness, and cold hands.  That said, I certainly need to work on all aspects of my game.

My original GG link was just one hole, here's the summary: http://www.gamegolf.com/player/krupa/round/790902

Sounds like there was a lot working against you with the weather and the nasty blowup hole u had but otherwise some positive stuff there including a birdie on your card! Just keep practicing and hopefully the weather cooperates a little more mext time. Only other idea Ive got is to really examine your blowup hole. Imo, it really is the only one u had. Examine that closely and see if you can learn anything. Maybe you attempted a hero shot, maybe you played driver when you shouldnt have, heck maybe it was just a bad hole. Stick with it! Youll get there!!! Esp when your hands thaw out ;)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am 58 years old, and only started playing 7 months ago. I now shoot under 100 on a regular basis, and that's on a par 74 course. I can only give the same tips as an experienced golfer, but I feel these are really important. 

1) Scores will reduce as soon as you stop trying to hit the ball hard. We are all told this from the start, but it actually takes a fair while to put this into practice

2) Keep your eye on the ball until you have hit it. Again, everyone knows it, but it is easier said than done. 

3) Some things may work for you, and aren't necessarily out of the book

4) Stay still on your backswing, and maintain your height on the down swing.

5) Tuck your right elbow in, and keep your left arm straight

6) Tempo, not speed

7) Treat every putt like life or death

8) Find the right ball, and stick with it. 

9) Great equipment doesn't make you great, but poor equipment may hold you back.

10) RELAX RELAX RELAX 

• Upvote 2

In my bag (Motocaddy Light)

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SW Ping Karsten irons with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

On 3/25/2016 at 3:00 PM, Gipper said:

Finally!!!! Front 51 Back 47 for a 98! The article that @stealthhwk posted was a huge help.  I tweaked the approach slightly but it helped me finally get there. 

I am pretty pumped right now. 

On 3/26/2016 at 5:32 PM, Osnola said:

9 bogies + 9 double bogies = 99

Congrats @Gipper and @Osnola!

• Upvote 3

Bill Z.

:ping: G15 Driver
:tmade: RBZ Stage 2 3 wood
:adams: Tight Lies Ovation 5 wood
:adams: Tight Lies Ovation 7 wood
:tmade: Burner 2.0 4I-AW
:cleveland: CG15 56
DLR Hog 1005D Putter

It was cold and windy here.  I shot a 52-48=100 on a new course.  I found a golfnow deal.... 18 and a cart for $20.   Really small greens were a challenge.  

• Upvote 1

Driver: Taylormade RBZ :tmade: Irons: Titleist AP1 :titleist: PW-4 All other clubs are needing upgrading as I am able to afford it.

2 hours ago, Gipper said:

It was cold and windy here.  I shot a 52-48=100 on a new course.  I found a golfnow deal.... 18 and a cart for $20.   Really small greens were a challenge.  

Congrats! Found yourself a good golf deal and shot near your target score!! Keep it up!

21 hours ago, Gipper said:

@Gipper hey if you can shoot an even 100 on a cold and windy day with really small greens, think about what can be done on a nice summer day in July? It's all about the mental confidence bro!

• Upvote 1

Got close out of nowhere on Monday. It was my sixth round of the season. The first 5 were 119-121-112-111-114. My cousin and I both had our best scores ever, his 102 and my 101. I actually managed it with a 9 on the first hole, which has been a mental mess this season (I usually can put up a 5-7 on it without much issue). My putting was very solid (one 3-putt, but multiple 1-putts, for a sub-2 per-hole average).

Second-half of my previous round (where I had the 114), I had a horrendous start. The wind was killing me, and I was overswinging (either to fight the wind, or just because). Around 8, I took to just slowing my swing and working on contact quality over a faster swing, which really helped (as did a back-9 with the wind at my back on the hardest holes). I carried that to the round after, and I think it did a lot to help me get the 101. I wasn't having mishits off the tee where I skim/chunk the ground, and I was able to aim well to work with my slice (though my FIR wasn't good, I was just off on a lot of the missed ones because of a strong side spin).

Not sure when I'll get to go next. I'd like to go tomorrow, but it's supposed to hit about 20 MPH on the winds. I might just go with that, because I can't go Monday, then it's supposed to rain Tuesday and Wednesday and be 51 or lower Thursday and Friday (meaning the ground will stay wet). I'm not sure I'm patient enough to wait another week to play again.

On 3/28/2016 at 4:02 AM, paininthenuts said:

I am 58 years old, and only started playing 7 months ago. I now shoot under 100 on a regular basis, and that's on a par 74 course. I can only give the same tips as an experienced golfer, but I feel these are really important. 

1) Scores will reduce as soon as you stop trying to hit the ball hard. We are all told this from the start, but it actually takes a fair while to put this into practice

2) Keep your eye on the ball until you have hit it. Again, everyone knows it, but it is easier said than done. 

3) Some things may work for you, and aren't necessarily out of the book

4) Stay still on your backswing, and maintain your height on the down swing.

5) Tuck your right elbow in, and keep your left arm straight

6) Tempo, not speed

7) Treat every putt like life or death

8) Find the right ball, and stick with it. 

9) Great equipment doesn't make you great, but poor equipment may hold you back.

10) RELAX RELAX RELAX 

These seem like sensible tips, especially the first few.

I'm wondering about #8 "the right ball". I haven't given the slightest concern to which brand I'm hitting. How has it worked for you?

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

3 hours ago, gregsandiego said:

These seem like sensible tips, especially the first few.

I'm wondering about #8 "the right ball". I haven't given the slightest concern to which brand I'm hitting. How has it worked for you?

While I cant speak for @paininthenuts, I do agree number 8 is very important. You hear it all the time for low cappers but its just as important if not more so for the player trying to break 100. You dont have to play a tour ball, but these golfers tend to lack consistancy and changing balls all the time is usually top of that list. You need to find a ball you like and stick with it. Whether that be a nike pd soft or a prov1 doesnt necessarily matter. Playing the same ball does. You will learn its trajectory, putting feel, and most importantly how it behaves on approach shots of various lengths. You need to be able to predict your ball if you hit it the way you want and thats hard to do when switching balls all the time. Its just added consistancy and performance too, assuming you find the ball thats right for you.

1 minute ago, stealthhwk said:

While I cant speak for @paininthenuts, I do agree number 8 is very important. You hear it all the time for low cappers but its just as important if not more so for the player trying to break 100. You dont have to play a tour ball, but these golfers tend to lack consistancy and changing balls all the time is usually top of that list. You need to find a ball you like and stick with it. Whether that be a nike pd soft or a prov1 doesnt necessarily matter. Playing the same ball does. You will learn its trajectory, putting feel, and most importantly how it behaves on approach shots of various lengths. You need to be able to predict your ball if you hit it the way you want and thats hard to do when switching balls all the time. Its just added consistancy and performance too, assuming you find the ball thats right for you.

Really? I'm a bit skeptical on this one? If true I'll have to drop my habit of playing mostly orphan balls I find on my home course.  

I don't believe in spending big so my ball would probably be some ebay special. 

s-l300.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/48-TaylorMade-Yellow-Mix-Mint-Used-Golf-Balls-AAAAA-/291710108264?hash=item43eb470268:g:o1oAAOSwNSxU5h5B

50 minutes ago, gregsandiego said:

Really? I'm a bit skeptical on this one? If true I'll have to drop my habit of playing mostly orphan balls I find on my home course.  

I don't believe in spending big so my ball would probably be some ebay special. 

s-l300.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/48-TaylorMade-Yellow-Mix-Mint-Used-Golf-Balls-AAAAA-/291710108264?hash=item43eb470268:g:o1oAAOSwNSxU5h5B

Ill give an example. If I hit a nike pd softwith my 56 degree wedge on a 40 yard pitch, I know its gonna roll out about 20-25 feet so I plan to land the shot 20-25 feet short of the pin to account for roll. If I hit the same shot with a prov1 x its gonna roll out no more than five feet usually, so when playing a prov1 x I pick the hole as the landing spot knowing that its gonna go in or Im gonna be facing a 5 foot putt. I can get either ball five feet from the hole on a good swing, the only thing that changes is the landing spot I pick out prior to hitting the shot. If on the other hand Im playing a random ball Ive found, Id have no idea where to pick as my landing spot because I dont know if its gonna bite hard upon landing, or roll 40 feet.

41 minutes ago, stealthhwk said:

Ill give an example. If I hit a nike pd softwith my 56 degree wedge on a 40 yard pitch, I know its gonna roll out about 20-25 feet so I plan to land the shot 20-25 feet short of the pin to account for roll. If I hit the same shot with a prov1 x its gonna roll out no more than five feet usually, so when playing a prov1 x I pick the hole as the landing spot knowing that its gonna go in or Im gonna be facing a 5 foot putt. I can get either ball five feet from the hole on a good swing, the only thing that changes is the landing spot I pick out prior to hitting the shot. If on the other hand Im playing a random ball Ive found, Id have no idea where to pick as my landing spot because I dont know if its gonna bite hard upon landing, or roll 40 feet.

That's surprisingly a dramatic difference. Is that due to some backspin variation?

50 minutes ago, gregsandiego said:

That's surprisingly a dramatic difference. Is that due to some backspin variation?

Yes it is. Backspin and trajectory. Golf balls differ very little in driver spin but but they can differ 5,000 rpms or more on shorter shots hit with higher lofted clubs. Its kind of amazing considerring the fact that to the naked eye, they all look identical. Spin and trajectories can be quite different.

• 1 month later...

Things are kind of quiet in this thread... 

I don't have much for success stories this spring.  I only have a couple of 18 hole rounds in this spring, a 104 and a 118.  My 9 hole rounds are ranging from low 50s to high 50s.

I have been concentrating quite a bit on my driver this year trying to improve my consistency and distance off of the tee.  I have had some success...using my Game Golf stats, my typical driving distance is up 24 yds from last season(194 from 170).  Per usual I struggle getting it all together, driver, irons, putting, etc.

Hoping the weather continues to improve so I can get out a little more.  I am not much for golfing in the rain and snow we have had off and on the last couple of weeks.  ;-)

Bill Z.

:ping: G15 Driver
:tmade: RBZ Stage 2 3 wood
:adams: Tight Lies Ovation 5 wood
:adams: Tight Lies Ovation 7 wood
:tmade: Burner 2.0 4I-AW
:cleveland: CG15 56
DLR Hog 1005D Putter

I often think back and recall to memory the days when I had difficulty scoring lower than 110. In time I began scoring 104-108 but couldn't break 100. Then the day came when I scored a 99. Now I had the desire to break 90. I began getting closer to accomplishing that when I finally scored a 94. Then last year I finally scored lower than 90 when I registered a 87 and a 88. It's early in the 2016 golf season and at the start I was a bit rusty and began shooting in the mid 90's, but I have been getting the rust out I'm back to shooting around 88 once again. I purchased some nice new clubs since last year and it has taken me a few golf outings to familiarize myself with my new clubs in order that I could determine what to expect from them. So now that I am getting more and more acquainted with my new clubs and what to expect from them I honestly believe that I should be able to improve my score this year and score some mid to lower 80 rounds.The only problem is, I haven't been able to get out and play as much as I want to because I have to take my wife to the hospital 5 days a week for treatment. It took me several years before I started experiencing lower scores, but as you can see, I started out shooting around 110-114 and am now able to score in the high 80's.That's about a 22 stroke difference from when I first started golfing.

Edited by 9wood

4 hours ago, pecos24 said:

Things are kind of quiet in this thread... 

I don't have much for success stories this spring.  I only have a couple of 18 hole rounds in this spring, a 104 and a 118.  My 9 hole rounds are ranging from low 50s to high 50s.

I have been concentrating quite a bit on my driver this year trying to improve my consistency and distance off of the tee.  I have had some success...using my Game Golf stats, my typical driving distance is up 24 yds from last season(194 from 170).  Per usual I struggle getting it all together, driver, irons, putting, etc.

Hoping the weather continues to improve so I can get out a little more.  I am not much for golfing in the rain and snow we have had off and on the last couple of weeks.  ;-)

I've been quiet because I haven't wanted to complain about my apparent lack of progress.  Although I'm hitting the ball better, my scores haven't shown it.  However, it's early yet, and I totally expect to break 100 before the season is done.

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

I've rejoined the Breaking Bad club. I haven't broke 100 this year. I've been on the 44, 45 + 56, 58 plan. Ball striking has been horrid. Short game has been very good. At the range I can hit pretty much anything. But on the course, I don't know what happens. I mix up the clubs at the range hitting different targets with different clubs, but on the course.... if I can't get off the tee well, it's all over. If I slice my tee shot into the trees, the hole is done. 

If I could play the course from 150 yds and in I'd be happy. The problem is the tee shots. They're eating up two and three strokes per hole.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Note: This thread is 1338 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!