IGNORED

Breaking Bad Club - A Thread for Golfers Trying to Break 100

Gipper
Note: This thread is 1319 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Score 104 with 7 penalty strokes.  I had one blow up hole: an 11 on a par 5.  I scored an 8 but lost a ball and put another in a pond.  Lost one ball that was so find-able that I found it as I passed the hole going in the other direction.

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

>>>Krupa...if it makes you feel any better, I was at Colonial a few years ago and Kevin Na took a 14 or so on a par 4 ...

Yeah, I'm not feeling too bad about the round or that 11.  If it was 11 without any penalty strokes, then I'd probably be frustrated.

Golf season has been underway for about six weeks now where I live.  So far, it's been somewhat good with some moderate improvement in my game.  I've played close to ten rounds, with one abnormally high score of 114 and a low of 101.  I'm happy that the average has been around 105.  

This season I've been focusing on keeping a steady head during my swing, and it's been paying major dividends of the tee.  I've also been trying to make sure I get a complete follow through.  It's been a lot easier to score lower when your ball is on the proper fairway, and not OOB or on an adjacent hole.  

The last two weeks my iron game has been suffering.  It could be time to actually start practicing.  

Edited by Warren Zevon

Corey

So, I guess it is about time I join into this discussion. I've managed to break 100 once by playing on a much easier course than my home course - shorter, flatter, and much less OB and no forests to lose a ball in. Yesterday's round was typical score of 103 a lonely par, an equally lonely birdie, and a number of really bad holes. The worst holes I just gave up on, no way around it. I got kind of fed up with my difficulties off the tee. It gets in my head. 

The funny thing, I know what I did yesterday and it was the same thing I did for a few holes last weekend. I start trying to adjust my driver set up to avoid a slice and I make things much worse. I figured this out last weekend, but still did the same blasted things. 

Tomorrow I will try to absolutely not to do this crap.

Tod,

You dont have to hit driver, ya know..if a 3 wood or hybrid is easier to swing thru and keep straight, why not try it..I use a 3 hybrid many times...i'll give up 20-30 yards in distance for being in the fairway any time..Saves me 3 or 4 points off my score usually..but I prefer to play straight and efficient..when my swing/tempo is on, I can play a 90 or so...when its not, its more like a 98 or 100...

20 minutes ago, Tod said:

I start trying to adjust my driver set up to avoid a slice and I make things much worse. I figured this out last weekend, but still did the same blasted things. 

Been there, tried that a million times.  The most frustrating part is when you line up left expecting your slice and the ball flies straight exactly to where you were aiming.  

Corey

You're right, I don't have to hit a driver. But, more often than not I can screw up any tee shot. It gets in my head. I can hit a respectable 3W off the deck or  a tee, but I can also generate a booming slice into the forest, same as with a 5I. It is all in my head. I'm trying to develop a consistent routine to take some of these things away.

1 minute ago, Warren Zevon said:

Been there, tried that a million times.  The most frustrating part is when you line up left expecting your slice and the ball flies straight exactly to where you were aiming.  

Yep, but I rarely mind when that happens. It is topping the ball or sending it short and dead OB that gets to me.

This last week I think my swing finally came together..The stuff the coach was trying to teach for the last few months seems to have all of sudden come to fruition..My stance, straight left arm, turn back and thru, distance to the ball at address, all are starting to give me an inside-out draw, or a straight down the line shot....things are starting to look up, finally...as well I hit it a few yards further..altho that wasnt my immediate goal..

I shot a 92 at the home course on Friday, could have been sub 90 but I had some bad breaks on one par 5 hole.  Biggest improvement was off the tee, I hit the fairway 55% and my misses (except one) weren't penalty type misses, so I was able to hit decent 2nd shots.  My index is trending down slowly but I'll be happy as long as it keeps heading lower. 

Joe Paradiso

Shot an even 100 today on my home course.  Took a lot of double bogeys, and even a ten on one hole!  But I also made two birdies in a round, which is a first for me.  Tee shots were good.  Second shots were okay, great distance, poor aim.  My chipping really let me down.  Overall, fairly pleased with the round.  

Corey

Played 9 tonight without keeping score.  I'm glad I didn't; I've played a lot of golf this month and my arms and hands are sore and tired.  I lost a few balls, had some terrible drives, bad irons... I think I had a couple bogeys but nothing better.  No worries, it was a beautiful evening and I'll take a few days off and be back at it.

Shot a 112, on a hard course with very hard conditions. Tall rough, two par 3's playing over 200 yards, fast greens.

Couldn't get off the tee to save my life, however was pretty good after that. Chipped and putted much better. 

102 which included an 8 on a par 3. Lots going right, just a couple of bad holes. Getting back to sub 100 land is coming soon. I can feel it.

This past Saturday I shot a 125 on the toughest course I have ever played.  This was the first time I played the course and there were multiple holes where I just felt like my swing was lost (I went cold from 7-10 scoring +3 or worse on each).

My biggest struggle throughout the day was a slice.  On the holes that played well, there was a very consistent fade off of the tee and most approach shots.  I did chunk two around the greens to keep me from having more par attempts.  I also lost a ball on hole 5 (par 4) after a perfect drive setting up the approach within 100 yards.  The next ball was mishit and went right, into the woods and I had to drop 3 and hit 4 onto the green for a two putt double.

I really enjoy this game and I am really trying to focus on getting my first sub 100 round from a local course this season. 

Nike: Covert 2.0 Irons (R), Covert 2.0 3h (R), X3X 56* & 60* wedges, Method putter

Cobra: Bio Cell 4/5h (R), Bio CellDriver (S)

GolfPad GPS Dashboard

Played Saturday, at a local course..Played two sets of 9 holes, carded a 92, or +20, however you prefer to look at it..My swing was good, either inside out with a small draw..or straight down the line at the target..my short game was a little off distance-wise, as the rain here hasnt let me play much...doubled two par-5's just because of distance I dont have...if the rain quits anytime soon I'll get my wedges in order and get below a 90...all in all not a bad round..looks like my swing practice with the Optishot-2 is paying rewards now...

put up a 104 with a birdie on the #1 handicap hole and 2 pars. Blowup holes and duffing chips (which is rare for me typically) hurt my score. I'm playing at a sub 100 level easily, just have to avoid playing like a 110 player on a couple more holes.

I think the mental game plays such a big part in breaking a 100, buddy of mine has only been playing for a couple of years now and I honestly think he could score better if he could get his temper under control. I was the same way when I started playing 7 years ago and even though I only shoot in the mid 90's with an occasional round in the 80's, once I got my temper under control and try to salvage the damage of a prior bad hole I could never break a 100 without a lot of luck. 

Note: This thread is 1319 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!