IGNORED

Breaking Bad Club - A Thread for Golfers Trying to Break 100

Gipper
Note: This thread is 1341 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

one huge key is improving your misses I think.

If you miss with your 6 iron and it goes 100 yds vs 30 yds, you're in a much better position. Or when you hit it right or left and the ball is still in play and findable vs completely gone. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

14 minutes ago, Bay20 said:

I think the mental game plays such a big part in breaking a 100, buddy of mine has only been playing for a couple of years now and I honestly think he could score better if he could get his temper under control. I was the same way when I started playing 7 years ago and even though I only shoot in the mid 90's with an occasional round in the 80's, once I got my temper under control and try to salvage the damage of a prior bad hole I could never break a 100 without a lot of luck. 

I had and have the temper issue also..once you let it get to you, your round is over...its ruined plenty of my rounds in the past...Not all of us handle lousy golf shots very well...for me it was give it up or get a repeatable consistant decent swing...I love the game, so I went to GolfTec and learned how to swing better...its taken a long time coming, but its much better..and my mental control has improved with it...

Edited by Hiway1tele

You ain't lying my wife constantly harps on me when were playing about the language and tantrums, don't have them as much now. Always found one way to get it under control is play with people you don't know you tend to make less of an ass out of yourself.

The swing coach I have has helped a lot in the anger department...He consistantly reminds me that everyone hits errant shots ...and too lower my expectations of hitting a good swing 100% of the time..I used to expect to be down the center on every shot, and thats not going to happen...I am slowly adapting to being a few degrees open or closed at impact, and accepting that being off the center by 10-15 yards is okay..My short game is good enuff to take care of that..the mental training is just as hard and time consuming for me, as the all the hours I spent learning to swing a club...

The last several posts sum it nicely for me. Expectations, temper, blow-up holes, and then temper again.

I've learned that, even with lots of bad shots, I can still shoot a decent score and stay far away from triple digits. I shot an 87 a few weeks ago with 3 double- and 2 triple-bogeys. I have to focus on each hole and shot separately, and make good decisions when something goes wrong. It sucks when a drive (especially a good looking drive) ends up directly behind a tree and you have to turn sideways and pitch out to the fairway. But, dammit... focus, make the shot count, and put it in the center of the fairway to give yourself a chance at recovering.

I've also found I score best when I manage my risk taking properly (again, expectations, temper, blow-up holes, etc...). I try to look for trouble areas with lower chances of recovery and take extra care to stay away from them.

• Upvote 1

Jake
"If you need to carry a water hazard, take one extra club or two extra balls." - Unknown (to me)

My Swing | Course Vlogs | Favorite Post | Roamin' for life. (MCATDT)

Played this evening..finally a no rain day...My new swing didnt do to well early on, wasnt used to the draw to the left, so a lot of longer shots were too far left...My short game covered best it could..took a +15 on the first 9..maintained my temper/cool, as I hadnt tested the swing on a course under playing conditions...I reloaded and played a much better back 9, adjusted my swing to the right a lil, so the draw came back to center and played a +5 on the back 9, for a +20 over, 90 score...starting to get a feel for my wedges, and my chips were reasonably on target..all in all I cant complain for the 2nd time in 8 weeks or so..

11 hours ago, Hiway1tele said:

I reloaded and played a much better back 9, adjusted my swing to the right a lil, so the draw came back to center and played a +5 on the back 9, for a +20 over, 90 score

WTG Hiway, nice turn-around! Bet that felt good. :beer:

Jake
"If you need to carry a water hazard, take one extra club or two extra balls." - Unknown (to me)

My Swing | Course Vlogs | Favorite Post | Roamin' for life. (MCATDT)

Thanks Roamin...Will take me a while to get my alignment and distance from the ball consistant so my release thru the ball is in the middle, not to the left..Never had a good swing with a draw before, so I will need to figure out how far right to turn at address to get back to the middle..the new Calloway XR Lob wedge is really nice..helped my short shots yesterday quite a bit..with rain starting to dissapear, maybe I can play a lil more and get my swing adjusted better, and get my score back to the low 90's with some consistancy...

Edited by Hiway1tele

Sunday's Round.....

Fairways Hit = 14

GIR = 4

Putts = 37

Front Nine score = 44 , +8

Back Nine Score = 42 , +6

Made the right offset for my swing today...most long shots including driver were draws that came back to center, except two Hybrids that I swung around my body to the left of center by 15 yards..those were the two worst shots of the day..took the time to align my shots properly with an alignment rod as well as the proper distance from the ball...made a huge difference in shot accuracy..as you can see, my GIR will never be good, as I dont have good enough hands to hit it far...but a player can cover that with a good short game and still play at 90 or so..

Cheers..

Shot a 106, but that included a 10 on a par 4. Hit back-to back terrible shots into tall grass and had to drop. Thought after the round I shot a 120, but when I looked at the score, I was pleasantly surprised (as pleasant as a 106 goes). Felt like I was playing horrible, but really had some decent holes with a couple of pars, 36 putts, a chip in and 2 GIR.  Had trouble again off of the tee, but was solid from inside of 50 yards. 

Learned not to tinker with the swing while on the course, that is for the range only. I'm concerned that reading the 5 lessons from Hogan is going to foul me up as I will start messing with things that are finally starting to work. 

3 minutes ago, xcott said:

Shot a 106, but that included a 10 on a par 4. Hit back-to back terrible shots into tall grass and had to drop. Thought after the round I shot a 120, but when I looked at the score, I was pleasantly surprised (as pleasant as a 106 goes). Felt like I was playing horrible, but really had some decent holes with a couple of pars, 36 putts, a chip in and 2 GIR.  Had trouble again off of the tee, but was solid from inside of 50 yards. 

Learned not to tinker with the swing while on the course, that is for the range only. I'm concerned that reading the 5 lessons from Hogan is going to foul me up as I will start messing with things that are finally starting to work. 

This was almost exactly my day yesterday, only 107. I opened with birdie on a respectable par 4 and then the wheels fell off in terms of getting off the tee, despite an excellent session with my pro Thursday and follow-up practice. But I had committed to not trying to fix things on the course and stopped at the range on the way home and worked through determining the setup errors I had made, particularly by reviewing a video of my correct setup my pro sent me. This is now four or five consecutive rounds with a birdie. Just far too few pars.

There's always next time. 

"  This is now four or five consecutive rounds with a birdie. Just far too few pars. "

In my experience, it isn't the lack of pars which keep you above 100, it's the triple+ bogeys. Turn a few of them into bogeys and you're there. For playes like us a birdie is like an eagle, a par is like a birdie and a bogey is more like par.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, xcott said:

In my experience, it isn't the lack of pars which keep you above 100, it's the triple+ bogeys. Turn a few of them into bogeys and you're there. For playes like us a birdie is like an eagle, a par is like a birdie and a bogey is more like par.

Oh, no question at all. Especially since I rarely manage more than one or two pars and have far many too many holes that go really badly.

Guys, you can go +1 on each hole, and play a 88...you dont need par's or Birdies to play under a 100 score...My scores this weekend, were well below 100, by just trying to go + 1 consistantly on each hole..on the green in 3, and two putt..work on a consistant swing that you can hit straight or near straight 95% of time..I have worked with GolfTec for 3 years to get a swing I can play consistantly with...that consistant short, straight swing gets me a +1 per hole, and occasionally a par..Distance is nice to have, if you can control it..I dont have distance, But I learned how to hit shorter, straight shots and get my + 36 double Bogey score down to +18 or +20..

Success!  Shot 46-48 for a 94 today!  Only one triple bogey, about half a dozen doubles and the rest were mostly one over.  

I just picked up some new irons and this was their maiden voyage.  Aside from the PW I didn't need them until the third hole, a par three where I scuffed my tee shot even with the women's tee.  I pulled out my new seven iron and proceeded to drop my second shot within three feet for an easy par putt.  

As happy as I am with my round, the goal will have to be going forward to be more consistent.  And work on my pitching, I lost a few strokes there.  

Corey

39 minutes ago, Warren Zevon said:

Success!  Shot 46-48 for a 94 today!  Only one triple bogey, about half a dozen doubles and the rest were mostly one over. 

That just mirrors what I said above..consistant +1's or a mix of +2's/+1's...will get a 95 or so...as well, consistancy gets rid of blowup holes...and gets us all a better score..

Congrats Mr. Zevon...well done..

Yaho, have found the thread for me on TST. 

Last year I broke 100 a couple times and have also made it a 2016 goal to break 90.

Right now my HI is trending up. Last 10 rounds goes 120 to 103. Those multiple 9s and 8s holes are killing me. I read through several pages of this thread and seeing some common themes which ring true for me.

Looking forward to the journey and following you too.

Under construction, signature and game.

Note: This thread is 1341 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!