IGNORED

Breaking Bad Club - A Thread for Golfers Trying to Break 100

Gipper
Note: This thread is 1346 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Played the usual front 9 at my regular course, last night and tonite...last night a +6, 42...Tonite a +7, 43...My Tee shots were reasonably straight, within 20 yards of center..still cant seem to make the hybrids and 7-Iron swing like I should..I did actually hit a few 3-H shots straight out within an acceptible range of center..My short game was able to cover the fairway shots so the scores were still decent...tonites session was 2 pars, 7 bogeys...no doubles, no stupid holes...my short game is getting dialed in if I can continue to play more...however summer heat is here..so we will see if I can stay playing ....

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Played the Bridges in Bay St Louis, MS yesterday.  It was like the guy that played the front nine went home and sent and imposter in his place.

Front nine shot a 46.  Hit the ball of the tee very well, short shots were pretty good.

Back nine shot a 54...could not find the fairway off the tee, bladed a couple of 20-30 yard chip shots across and off the green...Ended up with 100 even...

I have had a roller coaster ride the last few weeks.   124, 50,51,63!,109, and a 92 yesterday for my best round ever.  My 3rd time breaking 100.  I am hoping for a couple more this year.  But it seems these good rounds are almost always followed by bad ones!

Bill Z.

:ping: G15 Driver
:tmade: RBZ Stage 2 3 wood
:adams: Tight Lies Ovation 5 wood
:adams: Tight Lies Ovation 7 wood
:tmade: Burner 2.0 4I-AW
:cleveland: CG15 56
DLR Hog 1005D Putter

2 hours ago, pecos24 said:

I have had a roller coaster ride the last few weeks.   124, 50,51,63!,109, and a 92 yesterday for my best round ever.  My 3rd time breaking 100.  I am hoping for a couple more this year.  But it seems these good rounds are almost always followed by bad ones!

a consistant repeatable swing is what got me to play a consistant repeatable score...its taken 3 years of some lessons and daily practice to get there for me..

54/48 for a 102, again the bad holes killed me.  I had 4 pars and 4 GIR. I've weirdly been missing double bogeys recently. I've been having more pars, bogeys and triple+ bogeys.

I had 6 triples or worse last round. 

I felt like I was playing as good as I've ever played, just need to try and turn some of those triples into doubles. 

9 hours ago, xcott said:

54/48 for a 102, again the bad holes killed me.  I had 4 pars and 4 GIR. I've weirdly been missing double bogeys recently. I've been having more pars, bogeys and triple+ bogeys.

I had 6 triples or worse last round. 

I felt like I was playing as good as I've ever played, just need to try and turn some of those triples into doubles. 

How many putts are you hitting in your rounds.  My best scores are when I put like 36 times.  When I get into 40+ putts my score seems to balloon...I don't hit the fairway then my first thought is to play from the 2nd shot on trying to avoid double bogey....

3 minutes ago, xcott said:

That 102 I had 35 putts. which is below my average of 38.64 putts. 

Yeah, that leaves 67 strokes between tee and green...that is an a average of 3.7 strokes to get the putter out of the bag.  I like to think of it this way, I am only 12 shots from bogey golf (90)....I can always find a few strokes here and there that I lost because I mishit a ball off the tee, a couple wayward shots  from the tee box and of course a 3 put on a par 3....My last round was 100 and I know I left 5 strokes on the greens with just bad putts and another 5 strokes other places...I know I should shoot in the 90's but just hurt myself more often than not....

If you work to get on the greens in 3 ( for Par-4's) and two put, you can play a bogey round or very close, each time...Thats how I approach it...my goal every outing is to never take more than a +1 per hole..I get close on 2, chip it on for 3, and 1 or 2 put...figure out where in that sequence you losing strokes...big clubs, small clubs, putter...if its the big swings, slow it down and keep it straight...

53/46 for a 99. Feels good, haven't been under 100 in a while. Good to see the Trending HI on it's way down. Kind of a funny round. 5 one putts, only 1 GIR, but 57% fairways hit.  Started the round with two 8s, one on a par 3. 

I've read many posts, in this thread, and fast forwarded through the middle.   A lot say to slow down your swing.  This is fundamentally, very, incorrect.  

"If you slow down a bad fast swing, you'll have a bad slow swing."

Swing speed is what gives us the most import aspect of the tee shot, distance.  

Rather than slowing your swing down, try not to swing too hard.  Find a rhythm or tempo, but don't impede the club head from accelerating through impact. Stay in balance, let the club do its job and finish. 

Remember, fast is good and too hard, not so much. 

Edited by Gvel

Played a longer Course today, than I usually play..Ended up with a +22, a +10 front, a +12 back...Tee shots were straight out..no complaints..First few fairway shots were to the left..so I slowed the hybrid/Iron shots way down..that kept it in front of me..all in all a 92 on a long course isnt too bad I guess...

Front nine  = 8 bogeys, 1 Double Bogey

Back nine = 6 Bogeys, 3 Double Bogeys..

21 hours ago, Gvel said:

I've read many posts, in this thread, and fast forwarded through the middle.   A lot say to slow down your swing.  This is fundamentally, very, incorrect.  

"If you slow down a bad fast swing, you'll have a bad slow swing."

Swing speed is what gives us the most import aspect of the tee shot, distance.  

Rather than slowing your swing down, try not to swing too hard.  Find a rhythm or tempo, but don't impede the club head from accelerating through impact. Stay in balance, let the club do its job and finish. 

Remember, fast is good and too hard, not so much. 

If I have a bad fast swing, I'll have a bad slow swing so I should swing fast not hard?  I think I'm just going to fix my swing.

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

I am starting to get a little optimistic on improving my game.  My last two 18 hole rounds I shot a 92.  I am hoping two in a row means it's more of a pattern and not a fluke! But in between those 18s I shot a 54 over a 9 hole round.

On a side note @iacas has posted this blog entry on breaking 100: https://thesandtrap.com/blogs/entry/124-breaking-100/#comment-1101

Bill Z.

:ping: G15 Driver
:tmade: RBZ Stage 2 3 wood
:adams: Tight Lies Ovation 5 wood
:adams: Tight Lies Ovation 7 wood
:tmade: Burner 2.0 4I-AW
:cleveland: CG15 56
DLR Hog 1005D Putter

10 minutes ago, pecos24 said:

I am starting to get a little optimistic on improving my game.  My last two 18 hole rounds I shot a 92.  I am hoping two in a row means it's more of a pattern and not a fluke! But in between those 18s I shot a 54 over a 9 hole round.

On a side note @iacas has posted this blog entry on breaking 100: https://thesandtrap.com/blogs/entry/124-breaking-100/#comment-1101

I read Iacas's Blog post and agree with it totally...Because my right hand was surgically cut on, I cant swing hard with big clubs, as my grip is to weak..because of this, I learned to swing slower and keep it straight in front of me..I hit my driver 180-200 yds, usually no more than 20 yards off the target line...My # 3 Hybrid maybe goes 160, #4 goes maybe 145...not a lot of distance by any means..my short game is reasonably good...I can break 100 easily on my long or short course in my area, just by taking easy straight swings...like Ernie Els does..and then 2 putting for a + 1 on most of the holes...as @iacas says, I wont get better than this, but a lot of that is my hands and lack of ability to turn any faster than I do...my goal was to improve from a +35 to  +18 or so, and I have accomplished that..with my temperment, playing consistant clean shots was more of an issue than anything else...I am happy to be a 90 player...

I finally broke through for the second time this year, the big issue besides my game has been the tees I've played from as a beginner, I should have been forward early on but the group I play with are decent and I didn't want to be there alone, so I took my lumps from the regulation tees scoring around 103 for quite a while.

It all comes down to the tee ball, I've worked really hard on being smart and consistent from the box and it's finally paying off, I only missed 2 FW yesterday and that gave me a handful of GIR and many near greens, to me it's by far the most important part of the game for anyone trying to break 100.

IMAG0013.jpg

This seems like the thread for me. My best score is a 103. I've been so close... I am going to practice today because I won't have time for a full round but I will keep updating on here. I won't be able to play a full round until the end of the month due to vacation. I'm hoping the 10 days off of golf doesn't set me back and the next time I play I can break 100.

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 9:17 AM, xcott said:

"  This is now four or five consecutive rounds with a birdie. Just far too few pars. "

In my experience, it isn't the lack of pars which keep you above 100, it's the triple+ bogeys. Turn a few of them into bogeys and you're there. For playes like us a birdie is like an eagle, a par is like a birdie and a bogey is more like par.

This sums up my game all too well. I'll be having a round where I am well on pace to break 100 and all of a sudden I'll take a 6 on a par 3, then a 7 on a par 4, then another par 3 will roll around and I'll take a 6. The par 3's always get me. Next time I'm out and on a par 3 I'm going to just use a pitching wedge and lay up and hopefully walk away with bogey.

Played last nite, the front 9 at a longer course than I normally play..The harder of the two they have..
7 +1's, 1 +2 and 1 par, for a 45 score..will probably be my last day of golf for a while, as the triple digits of summer arrive this week...

Note: This thread is 1346 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!