IGNORED

Breaking Bad Club - A Thread for Golfers Trying to Break 100

Gipper
Note: This thread is 1309 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Sorry if there is already a thread for this. This thread is a place where all of us high handicappers can post updates and questions on their journey to break 100. I think the better golfers could also give good advise and support. I will start off first. The two things I am really trying to work on now to lower my score is reduce lost balls (three in my last round of 9 holes) and reduce my 3 putts(5 on my last round of 9 holes.). That is 16 strokes over 18 holes. A huge opportunity for improvement. Anyone else out there striving to breaking bad this year?

Driver: Taylormade RBZ :tmade: Irons: Titleist AP1 :titleist: PW-4 All other clubs are needing upgrading as I am able to afford it.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My short game and putting has improved dramatically since joining this site. Unfortunately my full swing is a nightmare. Dr. Jeckel and Mr. Hyde. About half my full swings are pretty good, a little push-y but nice authoritive trajectory and respectable distance. Problem is, the other half are horrid little worm burners, tops, shanks...and so on. They almost always cost me big strokes to recover from. If I can get that worked out so I'm hitting some GIR and close to GIR, my scores will drop dramatically as I have the putting, pitching and chipping down pretty well. Learning Erik's "Quickie Pitching Method" and Mike's "Chipping with a putting method" have really given me a lot of options around the green and Aimpoint takes care of the rest.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Learning Erik's "Quickie Pitching Method" and Mike's "Chipping with a putting method" have really given me a lot of options around the green and Aimpoint takes care of the rest.

I will have to track these down and check them out.

Driver: Taylormade RBZ :tmade: Irons: Titleist AP1 :titleist: PW-4 All other clubs are needing upgrading as I am able to afford it.

I will have to track these down and check them out.

I'd link them for you but I'm on a phone right now. Maybe someone else can link them for you. Easily found through the search bar.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I am not a good golfer. I played on-and-off earlier in my life, and this year, since retiring, I have put some time in and hope to learn to play properly. Returning to the game has been educational. I hadn't played for several years, so I decided to start again from the beginning and take some lessons as if I were a complete beginner. It's paying dividends. I am trying to avoid repeating my old bad habits, and to trust the advice of the young pro with whom I'm spending one hour a week. And after 4 months of this I am playing to 18 and feel that getting into the low 80s is possible. My advice to anyone who is shooting above 100 is to invest some time and money in lessons. I would never have been able to diagnose and correct my most basic faults without the advice of a pro, and the more lessons I have had, the more I ahve begun to understand the swing. As a result I am beginning to be able to practice effectively, identifying what is going wrong and making adjustments accordingly. Without the knowledge imparted by the lessons woth the pro I wouldn't have got to that stage. I'd just have been practicing, and reinforcing, the same faulty swing that had me in trouble in the first place.
  • Upvote 1

The more I practise, the luckier I hope to get.

Sorry if there is already a thread for this. This thread is a place where all of us high handicappers can post updates and questions on their journey to break 100. I think the better golfers could also give good advise and support.

I will start off first. The two things I am really trying to work on now to lower my score is reduce lost balls (three in my last round of 9 holes) and reduce my 3 putts(5 on my last round of 9 holes.). That is 16 strokes over 18 holes. A huge opportunity for improvement.

Anyone else out there striving to breaking bad this year?

Congratulations on deciding to get your game together.  I came back to the game a year and a half ago and have worked pretty hard trying to improve.  Here are a couple of thoughts, more may come up later.

chasm said it, I'll repeat it: get lessons!  He also said he was taking lessons as if he were a complete beginner, but it isn't only complete beginners that need lessons!  All of the tour pros have "swing coaches" that they visit often.  Nothing wrong with taking lessons, I have taken a bunch in the least year and a half and will continue to off and on so long as I play I expect.  But lessons alone in all likelihood won't get the job done, you have to follow them up with practice.  Three hours practice for each hour lesson may be enough, but each time the pro has you change something in your swing it will probably feel like the wheels have come off for a little while.  It always does for me.  You need to expect this, a significant change takes a while to settle in and become part of the swing you don't have to think about.

You are right to start working on losing less balls!  Those are score killers and confidence breakers.  You didn't say how you are going about losing the balls, but as a guy that plays a course with water on pretty much every hole I'm going to take a guess that it is mostly with the driver and perhaps other long clubs that go astray.   I'll expand on not losing balls to a general: stay out of trouble!  And when you get in trouble anyway, make sure that you get OUT of trouble.  Don't try to make up for a bad shot with some sort of remarkable "hero shot" that has a low probability of succeeding.  You are better off 200 yards down the middle of the fairway than 275 and off in the trees, or the lake....  There's time to work on fancy shots when you are working to break 80.

Forget about making par!  You're trying to break 100.  Nine bogies and nine double-bogies will get you a 99 on a par 72 course.

Finally, and I hate this one but am finding it to be so true: to putt better, practice putting more.

• Upvote 1

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5*, Aldila RIP Phenom 50

Fairway 1: Titleist 913F, 17*, Titleist Bassara W55

Fairway 2: Titleist 913F, 21*, Titleist Bassara W55

Irons: Titleist AP1 714 5-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95

Wedges: SCOR 4161 48/52/56/60, Genius 9

Grips: GolfPride New Decade Red Mid-size on all of the above.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke Slim 3.0

For me all three lost balls were with long irons. 5 or 6 iron. Two par three tees and one par five second shot. In my church league I have lost 4 balls in the four 3 pars in the first two weeks. As for my putting, I have practiced for an hour before each round but I think I need to do some research to make sure I am practicing smart. When playing i often putt way short on my lag putting. Even if I am telling myself to make sure it is long enough.

I recently broke 100 and it was all thanks to my improved short irons. My tee shots and putting were always fine, but my shorties always needed improvement. It feels good to shoot in double digits.

We must harness the crystiles.

:tmade: Nubbins B7 Putter

:tmade: r7 460 Graphite Driver

I recently broke 100 and it was all thanks to my improved short irons. My tee shots and putting were always fine, but my shorties always needed improvement. It feels good to shoot in double digits.

How long did it take you Jakepalm?

I just hit my best bucket of the year. My 7 iron was going further than my 9 iron. It may sound dumb but it made my whole day. Gotta keep working on compressing that ball.

As dumb and simplistic as it sounds - to break 100, you need to eliminate the blow up holes.

The first step is keep your eye on playing under double bogey golf - the bogies and pars will drop from there. It is hard to break 100 if you put up a snowman on a par 3 or 4.

Once under double bogey golf, then you can work on getting under 50 on each 9.

• Like 1

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

my advice would be if you loose balls from the tee box try playing a round with out your driver or 3 wood. find the "longest" club you straight with and use that from the tee box. I have played a few rounds myself where the longest clubs in my bag were a 5 wood and then went to a 4 hybrid and 5 iron next. i broke 100! is it fun and exciting no not really but its so much better playing from the fairway then the rough or O.B. and at the end of the round or after 9 holes and your card reads 48 (after 9 holes) or 97-99 (after 18) then yes it becomes fun and exciting and makes you want to play another round. hope this helps

• Thumbs Up 1

in my :tmade: 25th anniversary r7 bag,

Driver: :tmade: r7 superquad,

Fairway metal: :tmade: rbz stage 2 15*,

Hybrid: :tmade: rbz 3 hybrid,

Irons: 3-pw :tmade: tour preferred,

Wedges: :tmade: atv 54* 58*,

Putter: :odyssey: white ice #9 custom painted

Balls: :tmade: rocketballz urethane

For me it's don't swing hard ... Let the club do the work ... And I have swing inside out (try to swing towards right field ... I don't really, but cuts down on slice) The other is don't track your total score (too much pressure), and play the swing you are about hit ... Not the next one or the last one ... Make current the best you can do ... All the others don't matter ... Oh and I try to hit away from danger ... And in iSuk Golf when all else fails, drink profusely ... :-D

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

my advice would be if you loose balls from the tee box try playing a round with out your driver or 3 wood. find the "longest" club you straight with and use that from the tee box. I have played a few rounds myself where the longest clubs in my bag were a 5 wood and then went to a 4 hybrid and 5 iron next. i broke 100! is it fun and exciting no not really but its so much better playing from the fairway then the rough or O.B. and at the end of the round or after 9 holes and your card reads 48 (after 9 holes) or 97-99 (after 18) then yes it becomes fun and exciting and makes you want to play another round. hope this helps

I actually am hitting my driver ok. Only going about 230-240 yards but in the fairway or just off. My hybrids and long irons are not ready though so my next round will be 7 iron and below after that. I like your approach and think this will leave more shots in play and reduce my blow up holes. Thanks for the advice!

For me it's don't swing hard ... Let the club do the work ... And I have swing inside out (try to swing towards right field ... I don't really, but cuts down on slice) The other is don't track your total score (too much pressure), and play the swing you are about hit ... Not the next one or the last one ... Make current the best you can do ... All the others don't matter ... Oh and I try to hit away from danger ... And in iSuk Golf when all else fails, drink profusely ... :-D

I am working on getting that right balance in my golf swing. I am swinging nice and easy but my instructor advised i need to work on speeding up the down swing enough to compress the ball yet not over do it.

I'm at the range right now actually. I don't want to say I've fixed it but I did something that seems to yield good results so far. I arch the small of my back (probably look stuoid) but since doing this I have begun to hit them relatively straight.
  • Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 1309 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!