IGNORED

Breaking Bad Club - A Thread for Golfers Trying to Break 100

Gipper
Note: This thread is 1347 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

28 minutes ago, tehuti said:

I am not quite good enough to lose my membership in this group. But I did shoot a 98 today. Granted the course is only a par 68. But I’ll take any small favor I’m given.

I played the silver tees and I noticed that a lot of guys who were hitting a lot worse than me were playing from the blue tees.

I play a small course, ( 5500 yds ) and play the red/senior tees..I see the same thing..they can hit it harder, but its usually 200yds right or left...I would rather have it 180 yds straight, than 300 yds in trees or a pond..

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 minutes ago, Hiway1tele said:

I play a small course, ( 5500 yds ) and play the red/senior tees..I see the same thing..they can hit it harder, but its usually 200yds right or left...I would rather have it 180 yds straight, than 300 yds in trees or a pond..

You’re absolutely right Hiway1tele. The guys ahead of us were either in the trees or the next fairway all day. Other than on the doglegs, which I butchered, I was mostly down the middle all day.

13 minutes ago, tehuti said:

You’re absolutely right Hiway1tele. The guys ahead of us were either in the trees or the next fairway all day. Other than on the doglegs, which I butchered, I was mostly down the middle all day.

congrats on your good round..

I am going to be an optimist and join the group with the hope of getting to 100 by year-end 2018. Started playing in July/August 2017, and although I played very often for 4 months only made marginal progress, partially due to a lot of injuries. After a particularly bad one in (ripped shoulder muscle), and a sprained thumb from skiing decided to take a break until all my injuries are healed. But my strategy for 2018: Play only short courses until May, obsessively practice shortgame and putting, and learn to hit my driver (I am a woman, so need the extra yards) and take breaks if in any pain. And relax and enjoy! Wishing everyone a great sub-100 2018.

• Thumbs Up 1

One week till my first rounds of 2018.   I am playing 4 tough courses in Orlando.  I don't see myself breaking 100 on any of them but plan on keeping the ball in front of me and making every shot count.  

I do ok getting off the Tee but my irons, chipping and 3 puts kill me.   

Driver: Taylormade RBZ :tmade: Irons: Titleist AP1 :titleist: PW-4 All other clubs are needing upgrading as I am able to afford it.

10 hours ago, tehuti said:

Gipper you sound like me!

10 hours ago, tehuti said:

Gipper you sound like me!

It is so frustrating. At times I am near the green in regulation just to double or triple bogey.  

Driver: Taylormade RBZ :tmade: Irons: Titleist AP1 :titleist: PW-4 All other clubs are needing upgrading as I am able to afford it.

7 hours ago, Gipper said:

It is so frustrating. At times I am near the green in regulation just to double or triple bogey.  

I played 9 holes today and had zero touch on the greens. Easily could have shaved 5 strokes off my score by 2 putting.

• 2 weeks later...

My Orlando trip was a blast.  I came no where close to breaking 100 but there were some positive things to take away.  I hit my hybrids and irons decent and my putting was better than my normal.   I really struggled with my driver and was horrible with my 3 wood.   My biggest weakness was my pitching/chipping from 90 yrds in to where I could use my putter off the fringe. 

I am going to play enough golf this year to get this moving in the right direction.   

Finally got my Handicap 32.5.

Play a fairly difficult course (The Vines, in Western Australia - Lakes Course).

Last game had a par on a Par 5. Next hole bogey - then down hill.

Two pars in a nine hole game. Six on a par three.

Didn't hit driver straight once in 9 holes - hit three woods very good (twice straight to the green from 180m). Usually hit driver 80% of time.

I am practicing, but possibly wrongly.

Edited by Mr Wolf

8 minutes ago, JonMA1 said:

Welcome to the site @Mr Wolf.

How long have you been playing? Are you taking lessons?

Thanks.

I have been playing since August last year - but over last 10 years just been mucking around.  Consistently play every week - took lessons last year - was a fair bit of information overload, need to take more on what I am weak on.

My weaknesses are not consistent - a few weeks couldn't hit 3 wood. Last three games am able to hit 3 wood to the green - then up with three putts.

Few weeks ago my M2 driver was my favourite club. I could hit it 80% of the time - sometimes such that on short par 4's I only need a 9 iron or PW to the green.  I didn't get one straight hit last week.

That's how it seems to go with a lot of us who struggle. I was blaming poor driving and putting for my high scores during much of last year, so I started working on improving those areas. Yet, when I did relatively well with the driver and putter on some of my later rounds of 2017, my iron play became far worse than average. Go figure...

It's easy to become discouraged, but at some point things slowly make a turn for the better.

28 minutes ago, Mr Wolf said:

took lessons last year - was a fair bit of information overload, need to take more on what I am weak on.

If your lessons brought a fair bit of information overload, I have to wonder what the instructor was teaching. For the last several years, I've come to believe there is some poor instruction out there - I know because my first instructor fell into that category. That's not to say I think the best instruction in the world could help me to become very good - we all have different levels of potential. But I do believe good instruction can help us get closer to whatever potential we may have, while poor instruction can cause us to doubt our abilities. 

• Like 1

Jon

8 hours ago, JonMA1 said:

That's how it seems to go with a lot of us who struggle. I was blaming poor driving and putting for my high scores during much of last year, so I started working on improving those areas. Yet, when I did relatively well with the driver and putter on some of my later rounds of 2017, my iron play became far worse than average. Go figure...

It's easy to become discouraged, but at some point things slowly make a turn for the better.

If your lessons brought a fair bit of information overload, I have to wonder what the instructor was teaching. For the last several years, I've come to believe there is some poor instruction out there - I know because my first instructor fell into that category. That's not to say I think the best instruction in the world could help me to become very good - we all have different levels of potential. But I do believe good instruction can help us get closer to whatever potential we may have, while poor instruction can cause us to doubt our abilities. 

Pretty much how it was for me. I'd have days when i was puring the irons and the driver was a pile of dog doo then the next time i'd be like bubba with the driver and iron game didnt even turn up. The only consistent part was my hybrids.

Since i started from scratch last year its all coming together now. The one thing i still have a little problem with is rushing the downswing and trying to kill the ball. Luckily i have a couple of mental images and thoughts that really help me be smoooooth!

To the OP, just keep in mind that there will always be those days when the game goes to pot but as long as you dont dwell on them then the only way is up.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

• 2 months later...

I finally started tracking my performance with The Grint. Play mostly 18 holes, each saturday.

Scores since I started tracking are as follows: 106, 110,117 and 107.  Putts have been: 45, 38, 48 and 42

After every game - I could sit down and identify 10 strokes I could have eliminated.

Not sure if I track this correctly - but my Fairway Accuracy is 40% - after teeing off I updated the app with how it went - Long, Short, Left missed etc. My Average GIR per round is 8.3%

I think if I just focused on putting, and my short game - I could see a big improvement. I am able to hit my 9 iron 150m - but not all the time accurately.

Just need consistency.

4 hours ago, Mr Wolf said:

I finally started tracking my performance with The Grint. Play mostly 18 holes, each saturday.

Scores since I started tracking are as follows: 106, 110,117 and 107.  Putts have been: 45, 38, 48 and 42

After every game - I could sit down and identify 10 strokes I could have eliminated.

Not sure if I track this correctly - but my Fairway Accuracy is 40% - after teeing off I updated the app with how it went - Long, Short, Left missed etc. My Average GIR per round is 8.3%

I think if I just focused on putting, and my short game - I could see a big improvement. I am able to hit my 9 iron 150m - but not all the time accurately.

Just need consistency.

It is likely you will see a fairly fast reduction in scoring if you focus hard on short game practice. However, the floor will come fast. Depending on how much time you have to practice i recommend working on getting that GIR above 8%, and eliminating penalties with proper course management.

Note: This thread is 1347 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!