IGNORED

Phil is bad for golf

tigergoat
Note: This thread is 3597 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
The rules of golf are fashioned around gambling. IIRC, a single has no standing on the course because he cannot possibly be playing a match with betting involved.

FWIW, that was never a "rule" it was etiquette, and it no longer exists in the book, anymore: a single has the same standing as a twosome, threesome, and foursome.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

FWIW, Mickelson bet $20k in 2000 on Baltimore to win the Super Bowl - preseason odds were 22:1. That's the first time I remember hearing that he likes to gamble. Personally, I see nothing wrong with gambling on the course, or in general.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdsandy

The rules of golf are fashioned around gambling. IIRC, a single has no standing on the course because he cannot possibly be playing a match with betting involved.

FWIW, that was never a "rule" it was etiquette, and it no longer exists in the book, anymore: a single has the same standing as a twosome, threesome, and foursome.

Rule or etiquette, the point was that golf was built on gambling.

Bob

WITB

Driver:                         Ping I25 10.5 PWR65 stiff Flex

Fairway Woods:          Ping TiSi Tec 3, 5 and 7 graphite Cushin stiff flex

Irons:                         Pinhawk SL 5-PW 37.25 inches 

Wedges:                     Reid Lockhart 52 and 60 quad bounce, 56 dual bounce 

Putter:                        Boccieri Heavy Putter B3-M (250 gram back weight)

Ball:                            MG C4 / Wilson Duo

Grips:                         Winn DriTac midsize Blue

I think what the op is saying is that he doesn't want his kids to begin gambling as a result of Phil, or any other figure.

Well then he should remember that he is their parent and responsible for teaching them the values he wants them to have growing up, not Phil Michelson or a story about him gambling on the internet.

ironically I spoke and played with a guy today with hands on experience of prosecuting bad business practices and insider trading. We spoke about Michelson, he felt he has the aggressive personality and certainly the competive spirit to always be betting or wish to compet on something. Probably started with who could eat of drink their meal first as a child etc. Interesting as he said, a vast majority of people that go to jail for insider trading, its not the trade itself that puts them in jail but its lieing, perjury, coverup of the details and eventual tax fraud that does them in from much earlier events. He also mentioned Martha Stuart was dumber than a bag of rocks, thought she could talk her way out of it ( she lied) . She took the position of don't you know who I am? What this has to do with deminishing golf or a bad example for the PGA....he said if he does get bagged, they'll be a scape goat, a mid level accountant that will take the hit, America will forget about it in 2-4 months.

I find it humorous that the tiger haters on this forum use the same argument to defend Phil as they did to condemn Tiger.

Insider trading is like getting free money if the information is accurate. Gambling is illegal in most states. I could care less about the gambling but insider trading is an issue.

There is no proof as of yet that Phil participated in this behavior but it won't matter how many autographs he has signed when it comes to laws.

Honestly, I am tired of everyone imposing their beliefs and lifestyles on other people. Almost every one tries to win money somewhere. Some lose money in the process of trying...

...... what are the odds at for him getting out of these charges?

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Honestly, I am tired of everyone imposing their beliefs and lifestyles on other people.

......what are the odds at for him getting out of these charges?

Then what would we need the internet for??? :beer:

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

what are the odds at for him getting out of these charges?

I think pretty high. He seemed very calm in his press conference about it so I believe that HE truly doesn't believe he did anything wrong. That's not to say he didn't but I think he believes he didn't. Ignorance of the law is no defense, I know, but I think he'll escape relatively unscathed.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

All the gambling on the course is no example for our young kids. You cannot be this nonchalant and irresponsible when kids are looking up to you. He needs to seek some help for this gambling problem and the high he gets trying to make money. I really hope these allegations are not true, but let's be honest, we all know it's his nature to take risks like this. I think the guy is bad for the game and is possible felon to boot.

YOU set the example for your children Don't let an overpaid celebrity/sports= guy etc. set the example for your children to follow.

• Upvote 1

Right. But cheating on your wife and making your kids (and other family members) go through the embarrassment is good and a good example for others to follow?

So, one has to be under investigation to be really bad...is that your threshold?

Well one is the thing that 99% of all men do and it's wrong and will definitely negatively impact his family if caught.  The other is an actual crime that can realistically put several families out on the street if they invest unwisely.  That's why it carries jailtime.

Betting the stock market in kind of like drinking alcohol. It's legal to an extent but you can go too far. You can drink as long as you are not negatively impacting other peoples lives. The same with the stock market. You are allowed to bet in the stock market as long as you follow the rules and everybody gets a fair shake at making money but when you bend the rules and unsuspecting people start losing the shirts off their backs you pretty much need to go to jail.  Otherwise financial experts would be making up phony shit, taking investments and selling before it hits rock bottom with regularity.

@RightEdge/   Ar e you saying tha t 99% of men cheat on the wife?  That is totally absurd and your efforts to rile folks up with this sexual innuendo are disgusting.  Would 99% of men take advantage of a stock trade where some money could be made?  Now that's a different story.

All the 'morals' and laws relating to money making through  stock trading, modern corporations, futures commodity speculations, etc are man-made and like the Rules of Golf may be changed at any time   Hardly one of the Commandments.  Sure the Bible tells us 'do not steal', or cheat thy neighbor, but let's be real; those ancient laws are hard to apply except 'face-to -face' and even then, the seller may want more than 'true value'. Just travel to any USOpen and tell me the white cap for sale in the tent is worth $45, the cost of feeding a family for a week (India or Somalia).

@RightEdge/   Are you saying that 99% of men cheat on the wife?  That is totally absurd and your efforts to rile folks up with this sexual innuendo are disgusting.  Would 99% of men take advantage of a stock trade where some money could be made?  Now that's a different story.

All the 'morals' and laws relating to money making through  stock trading, modern corporations, futures commodity speculations, etc are man-made and like the Rules of Golf may be changed at any time   Hardly one of the Commandments.  Sure the Bible tells us 'do not steal', or cheat thy neighbor, but let's be real; those ancient laws are hard to apply except 'face-to -face' and even then, the seller may want more than 'true value'. Just travel to any USOpen and tell me the white cap for sale in the tent is worth $45, the cost of feeding a family for a week (India or Somalia).

Well let's say that I don't deal in statistics but yea MOST men will cheat given the opportunity. It doesn't make them monsters, it is just a well known weakness of most men. I'm a man and I know this as fact especially if the man in question is below the age of say 35.  However, there is a point in time where we mature and are not that weak so before people get offended, this does not apply to EVERY man just the general population and definitely in a certain age group.

Now, yes the laws regarding stocks and etc are man made but what the hell does that have to do with stealing? If you do something that you know in your heart negatively affects a family you are wrong, period.  There wasn't a law that said you couldn't kill native americans and take their land either but it didn't make it right.  But the point here is that THERE IS A LAW that says you can't do insider trading to protect other investors and if you break it, well you get what you get.  I don't know if Phil did it or not, but if he did you can't come up with some nonsense about ancient laws to give him a pass.  If Martha Stewart can go to jail for that then so can he and anybody else that does it.

• Administrator
Well let's say that I don't deal in statistics but yea MOST men will cheat given the opportunity.

Most is not 99%.

I'm with @joekelly on that one. I'd never do it. I don't care what the circumstances were. And the types of guys I like to hang out with and call friends wouldn't either.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Martha went to jail for Lying. I think someone mentioned that in a earlier post.  I also disagree that 99% of married men would cheat given the chance. And even if that were true, it has nada to do with what Phil is alleged to do, or what he's being investigated for.

Most is not 99%.

I'm with @joekelly on that one. I'd never do it. I don't care what the circumstances were. And the types of guys I like to hang out with and call friends wouldn't either.

Nobody is talking about you personally.  Having said that, are you saying that most men haven't cheated on their wives or girlfriends at some point?

Martha went to jail for Lying. I think someone mentioned that in a earlier post.  I also disagree that 99% of married men would cheat given the chance. And even if that were true, it has nada to do with what Phil is alleged to do, or what he's being investigated for.

It has to do with the earlier post I was responding to.

The OP is dripping with sanctimony.  There's nothing inherently immoral about gambling, unless you have some kind of antiquated morality.

And insider trading should be a civil action at worst.  Your faux capitalist government made that a crime.

Regardless, jumping to conclusions about his guilt is just flat out dumb.

"Witty golf quote."

@RightEdge/   Are you saying that 99% of men cheat on the wife?  That is totally absurd and your efforts to rile folks up with this sexual innuendo are disgusting.  Would 99% of men take advantage of a stock trade where some money could be made?  Now that's a different story.

So most men would not cheat but they WOULD do insider trading?? Is that what you are saying? If so then you are saying in fact that most men would engage in this illegal activity.  I find that even more absurd and ridiculous.  Hell even the men I've known to be cheaters won't break the law and take a chance on going to jail!

Note: This thread is 3597 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!