• Announcements

• iacas

Visit FlagstickRule.com   03/13/2017

Visit the site flagstickrule.com to read about and sign a petition for the USGA/R&A regarding the one terrible rule in the proposed "modernized" rules for 2019.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Aamir Aslam

where to start? bewildered and confused.

3 posts in this topic

Help please.

Returned to playing golf last year after an outing with work friends.  Had a blast (despite a score of 109), enough that I fancied taking up golf again.  Had played intermittently in my youth but never had any lessons.  So, got some new clubs and have had a few lessons and practice quite regularly.  Problem is over the last year that although my swing has improved (according to my pro) my scores haven't.  One of the problems is that I think that the more I research golf mechanics the better I will become.  Hence, I have read numerous books (Utley, Clampett, Price, Faldo - to name a few) and watched even more online content.  Couple this with a few training aids (tour striker pro and educator) and you have a very confused individual.

At present, when I go to the range I have such an array of drills, swing thoughts that I find it difficult to focus.  Furthermore, I get stuck on trying to hit good shots with drills  - which I suppose is not right - and the session will deteriorate into just trying to hit the ball a certain distance (e.g. 150 yards with a 7 iron yesterday).

I don't have any short term or long-term goals I suppose apart from the generic "getting better" (which thus far, I don't seem to be doing).  Just wondering how others have managed - what have they focused on for how long, what goals, etc.

i was thinking - perhaps,  that, in the first instance, I would just practice my short game with measurable goals - ie how many balls within 10 foot of the pin etc. And only move on to driving and irons after that.

All advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Two thoughts for you…

1. When you practice, spend a lot of your time making the fastest, longest swings you can make while still making solid contact nearly every time. For many, that means half backswings at 60% speed only, as their MAX.

2. Throw out swing thoughts and focus on just one. If your instructor can't prioritize a single swing thought for you, find a new instructor.

Good luck.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Cheers - took your advice yesterday - limited my practice to chipping and short pitches (20yrds) with my 56 and 60 deg wedges.  Was focussing on recreating impact position, keeping lower half quiet on backswing and delivering the club with hip turn  - weight on left.  Really consistent and was good fun - think I'll focus on this for future sessions until it's ingrained (presently I really have to think during the backswing as otherwise my legs get active and I'll hit it fat/thin.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• 2017 TST Partners

PING Golf
    Leupold Golf
    Snell Golf
    Talamore Golf Resort
    Lowest Score Wins
  • Popular Now

• For the average golfer, getting a driver "that won't hurt your game" is critical. Getting fitted forces you to take a look at what really works, rather than what you think works. As for tech, a lot of it has been incremental change, with an occasional tech bubble that may or may not take off. Depends on when "recent" starts.... 2004: TM R7 driver features adjustable weights in the head to help shape ball flight. 2008: Muzuno MP600 driver features "fast  track" slots in the sole that let you move weighted screws to left or right. It was going on clearance about the time I got fitted for my Callaway HyperX Tour driver. 2012: TM goes with "loft up" ... touting high-launch, low-spin drivers as the route to exceptional distance. Several OEMs start making mini-drivers. TM also adds SLDR and Jetspeed drivers. 2015: "Turbulators," small fins in the crown of the Ping G30 drivers that promise better wind flow over the head. 2017: The Callaway Epic driver with "jailbreak" technology: two metal posts behind the clubface that promise better power transfer through the ball, and a gain of about 10 yards... It depends on how much the technology is new, and how much it is recycled from a few years back. And so we haven't forgotten, parting wisdom from above...  
    • He must have been very messed up or the authorities would not have arrested him.  Why was he driving in that state? Where was Notah to look out and take his keys? Imo he must have been way messed up. .09 breathalyzer or something and a minor infraction like a rolling stop and there's no way he's arrested unless he is not well liked anyway in that area.  
    • I'm just saying, I don't understand why cheating 'scandals' are scandals. I love my wife, I don't cheat on her, but that doesn't mean I don't 'want' beautiful women I meet. Perhaps it's a difference in views, or a different in age that gives us a different outlook, but like I said, when I was young, we couldn't wait for away games to leave the gf's behind. If you think Tiger is the only married womanizer on tour, i'm almost positive you would be sorely mistaken. Superstars live a different set of rules than us, and Golfers are held to this higher moral standard than any other athlete, it's ridiculous. (I'm not talking about golf rules, i'm talking personal life). Having been born with an abundance of talent does not mean you need to be a rolemodel, Athletes are the LAST people we should pick as role models, because a majority of them are just like Tiger.    Had this been Jordan in the early 90's, either this, or the cheating scandal, it would have been a non-issue as long as he scored 30 points a game. But the press hushed things up for Jordan (his gambling, cheating, and partying were well known), because he was just that good. But from Tiger we expect more, just because it's golf. I don't get it. He was as human as the rest of us before his fall, and he still is today. I don't get riled up about an athlete doing something stupid, because I know what it's like to be just a university athlete, so I can't imagine what its like to be a superstar and avoid all these things, on the road constantly, women throwing themselves at you, women willing to jump in bed with other women with you because of who you are. It would be hard for any mortal man not to fall in that trap. 
    • Hi. I'm looking for some advice. I have played a set of mizuno mp 52s for the last year fitted with DG SL r300 shafts. Over the last 5 or 6 rounds I have noticed that my normal high ball flight has now started to land with moon dust on my ball it's going that high and I'm losing nearly a clubs distance. The main prob is I'm hitting the ball better than ever. I'm not a long hitter, my 7 iron is 140 yards with a good strike. My last round I was constantly coming up at least a club short.getting really frustrated playing well but constantly leaving myself 20 foot putts for birdie/par. I've decided to try reshaft have my irons with DG s300 shafts in an attempt to try and bring down the ball flight a bit. I've hit stiff flex before and not noticed any loss in distance and accuracy. As I only play 5-pw and the set of s300 shafts I've bought are 4-pw im wondering whether it might be an idea to soft step them. I'm asking because I'm always reading it's best to play the softest flex possible. Does soft stepping make much of a difference? Would it make them a firm flex?  Any advice/experience appreciated.
    • I'll echo what @iacas said, I believe that everyone who plays reasonably serious golf should have the rules with them, in some form.  I've been a member of the USGA for a good while now, and one o the good things about membership is the brand new RoG that I get every spring.  Anyway, you got the right response above.  I actually had a fox steal MY ball a couple weeks ago, in plain sight, and we all knew the rule in our group.
  • TST Blog Entries

• Blog Entries

• Today's Birthdays

1. JJ spud
      JJ spud
      (43 years old)
  • Get Great Gear with Amazon