IGNORED

Food Thread

mvmac

43 minutes ago, billchao said:

The ones in Taiwan that I went to were good, but they're less of a gimmick there. Sushi around me can be hit or miss anyway. The only consistently good sushi places cost way too much money.

Kind of like automated dim sum. Can robot dim sum servers be far behind? 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, nevets88 said:

Don't know, but I imagine they will be more polite than real Dim Sum servers.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

On 2/5/2017 at 9:18 AM, saevel25 said:

Staring with a room temperature steak and having a super hot grill will minimize time :-D

It is amazing to me how many people do not know this! That is, letting the steaks come up to room temp.

On 2/5/2017 at 9:23 AM, DaveP043 said:

Yup, I like hardwood charcoal because it burns hotter than briquettes.  Briquettes are better for slow cooks like the brisket I made a while back, easier to control the heat.

Yes, I like charcoal of any description over propane, and I was taught to have a hot side to the grill and a warm side. The hot side was to sear the steaks and get your grill marks. The warm side was to finish cooking the steaks to the desired doneness.

I'm also amazed at the number of people who don't know to let a piece of meat "rest" for at least 5 minutes before you put a knife to it!

22 hours ago, nevets88 said:

20 hours ago, billchao said:

Don't know, but I imagine they will be more polite than real Dim Sum servers.

No way, you'd have to find other work for middle aged Asian women who no longer have their kids to yell at any more because they've grown up and just graduated from a big name school.

If I were to build one of those Dim Sum robots, I'd make sure to program them in such a manner as to ensure the same experience you have now! I'd even have an arm to hit the customers that are being extra feisty. :-D

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

17 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

I'm also amazed at the number of people who don't know to let a piece of meat "rest" for at least 5 minutes before you put a knife to it!

The 5 minutes while the meat rests is the time to through your asparagus or green beans on the grill over the remnants of the coals.  Just toss em with a little olive oil, salt and pepper, and grill.  Simple but tasty, and healthy!!

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Just made pork fried rice using cauliflower as the rice and crispy bacon pieces. I have to say, it was danged tasty!  It was much better than I thought it would be.  I didn't think to take a picture but next time I will. 

5 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

The 5 minutes while the meat rests is the time to through your asparagus or green beans on the grill over the remnants of the coals.  Just toss em with a little olive oil, salt and pepper, and grill.  Simple but tasty, and healthy!!

Oooh! Great idea! I love grilled veggies!

4 hours ago, Gator Hazard said:

Just made pork fried rice using cauliflower as the rice and crispy bacon pieces. I have to say, it was danged tasty!  It was much better than I thought it would be.  I didn't think to take a picture but next time I will. 

That sounds pretty good. I'm going to try this some time.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I made pretzels for the first time the other evening. I have to say, they were surprisingly easy to make and they actually were pretty quick too. Salt, flour, yeast, sugar, a little bit of butter, and water is all you knead and then the baking time is only 8 minutes at 450* after the dough has risen. 

That said, be careful about how many you make at once. I, assuming the recipe was portioned to create small pretzels, tripled the recipe and only realized the extent of my mistake when I had 10 cups of flour in the bowl with my sugar and salt (and at that point I had to keep going to the tripled 15 cups since I had measured the other ingredients first). The dough also expands quite a bit, so make sure you have room for it. I will say though, that massive chunks of dough will rise less than smaller portions, so use that information how you may.

Made gnocchi with mushroom shallot cream sauce last night. It was definitely a hit. Plus it was simple and quick. Saute shallot and mushrooms in butter, deglaze the pan with a cup of homemade chicken stock, add 1/2 cup of half and half, reduce and stir in the gnocchi. Salt and pepper to taste.

20170309_172125.jpg

19 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

I love asparagus made this way. I can eat way more than my share but I need only take a bite or two and I have to hold my nose when I pee. So I don't partake too often.

1 hour ago, Shooting29 said:

Made gnocchi with mushroom shallot cream sauce last night. It was definitely a hit. Plus it was simple and quick. Saute shallot and mushrooms in butter, deglaze the pan with a cup of homemade chicken stock, add 1/2 cup of half and half, reduce and stir in the gnocchi. Salt and pepper to taste.

20170309_172125.jpg

That looks delicious, I'll have to make that soon.

1 hour ago, Shooting29 said:

I love asparagus made this way. I can eat way more than my share but I need only take a bite or two and I have to hold my nose when I pee. So I don't partake too often.

I don't have a problem with asparagus but I grew some where I used to live and it was far less astringent than the store-bought variety.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

A few sourdough sandwich loaves I made. Bread making is a hobby of mine and I've gotten pretty into it. I don't use a bread maker or yeast and i always fully ferment my bread. 2 ingredients and fully delicious. 

IMG_0557.JPG

IMG_0558.JPG

IMG_0559.JPG

4 hours ago, mistermuhl said:

A few sourdough sandwich loaves I made. Bread making is a hobby of mine and I've gotten pretty into it. I don't use a bread maker or yeast and i always fully ferment my bread. 2 ingredients and fully delicious. 

IMG_0557.JPG

IMG_0558.JPG

IMG_0559.JPG

That looks amazing. I wish I could make bread like that. I tried this recipe a few weeks ago and it came out completely wrong. It felt a little too thin the entire way, and I tried to save it with some extra flour before I threw it in the oven, but it came out way to dense and with a very strange taste. The flour was also pretty old, so maybe it was rancid.

Every since I watched Cooked on Netflix I've been wanting to try my hand at sourdough. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

2 hours ago, jamo said:

That looks amazing. I wish I could make bread like that. I tried this recipe a few weeks ago and it came out completely wrong. It felt a little too thin the entire way, and I tried to save it with some extra flour before I threw it in the oven, but it came out way to dense and with a very strange taste. The flour was also pretty old, so maybe it was rancid.

Every since I watched Cooked on Netflix I've been wanting to try my hand at sourdough. 

lol I actually started because of cooked as well. My sister in law is "gluten intolerant" and it irritates me because I feel like it is a bunch of bs to buy gluten free everything. So I made the bread and it turns out that she is tolerant to my breads gluten. 

Its super easy to do but not as easy to master. I'm a big time rookie at it. It is most definitely not how I want it to be but I'm gonna keep plugging away until it's perfect. I honestly recommend taking a couple weeks and learning how to do it. I will never stop making my own bread now. My loaves blow store loaves away in my mind. So I have no reason to buy any anymore. Plus, it's very rewarding.

1 hour ago, mistermuhl said:

lol I actually started because of cooked as well. My sister in law is "gluten intolerant" and it irritates me because I feel like it is a bunch of bs to buy gluten free everything. So I made the bread and it turns out that she is tolerant to my breads gluten. 

Its super easy to do but not as easy to master. I'm a big time rookie at it. It is most definitely not how I want it to be but I'm gonna keep plugging away until it's perfect. I honestly recommend taking a couple weeks and learning how to do it. I will never stop making my own bread now. My loaves blow store loaves away in my mind. So I have no reason to buy any anymore. Plus, it's very rewarding.

Cool post! Less than 7% of people are sensitive to gluten. Yet, that is the action line of the story currently in vogue, so that's what gets reported!

You kind of remind me of my Grandma! She never bought a loaf of bread in the store in her life! Everything she served in her house was baked in her house. The only difference between her and the big bakeries was the amount of artificial crap she'd put in her bread!

13 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Cool post! Less than 7% of people are sensitive to gluten. Yet, that is the action line of the story currently in vogue, so that's what gets reported!

You kind of remind me of my Grandma! She never bought a loaf of bread in the store in her life! Everything she served in her house was baked in her house. The only difference between her and the big bakeries was the amount of artificial crap she'd put in her bread!

That's how I want to be. All my stuff. My loaf bread usually has 2 ingrediants. Unless I put salt on top of it when I bake it, then it's 3. Lol. I made English muffins a few weeks ago for the first time and it was incredible how perfect they were. Looked exactly like the store bought ones and had the same crumb. I didn't take pictures though, like an idiot. 

22 hours ago, mistermuhl said:

IMG_0557.JPG

IMG_0558.JPG

IMG_0559.JPG

Do you have a recipe for that handy? That looks delicious. CARBS CARBS CARBS.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

58 minutes ago, mistermuhl said:

I made English muffins a few weeks ago for the first time and it was incredible how perfect they were.

Wife and I make this recipe below couple times a year. Loaf of bread with the taste of English muffins! Toast it up later with butter- omg it's amazing 

http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/2015/09/moms-english-muffin-bread.html

IMG_0381.PNG

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell: