IGNORED

Food Thread

mvmac

3 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Do you have a favorite recipe? Another of my faves is shrimp fra diavolo, spicy garlicky tomato sauce.

I've made it a few times by recipes, but I usually just eyeball it.

Sauté a bit of bacon (¼ lb or so), diced thinly, over medium heat. When it's brown, add in an onion and a few cloves of garlic, minced. Sweat those for a few minutes, then add some canned tomatoes. Best way is usually to buy whole canned tomatoes and dice/smush/blend them yourself, but diced is fine. One big can or so will do it (err on the side of more, because you can always save some sauce for later if your sauce:pasta ratio is off). Stir in a few handfuls of grated parmigiano reggiano (absolutely use the real stuff) or pecorino romano. Combine with a pound of cooked bucatini. I find the best way to cook the pasta is in a deep pan rather than a pot, with so little water that it mostly cooks off and only a concentrated starchy water is left. The starchy water thickens the final sauce really nicely. Lastly, combine sauce and pasta and boom, you've got bucatini all'amatriciana. Makes 3-5 servings, depending on how big you like your servings. 

Today I went off-book a bit because I made a slow-cooked tomato sauce over the weekend (this recipe), so I just used that instead of the canned tomatoes. Worked fine because that pasta sauce is little more than concentrated canned tomatoes. Just had to thin it out with a splash of water. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, jamo said:

Sauté a bit of bacon (¼ lb or so), diced thinly, over medium heat. When it's brown, add in anl onion and a few cloves of garlic, minced. Sweat those for a few minutes, then add some canned tomatoes. Best way is usually to buy whole canned tomatoes and dice/smush/blend them yourself, but diced is fine. One big can or so will do it (err on the side of more, because you can always save some sauce for later if your sauce:pasta ratio is off). Stir in a few handfuls of grated parmigiano reggiano (absolutely use the real stuff) or pecorino romano. Combine with a pound of cooked bucatini. I find the best way to cook the pasta is in a deep pan rather than a pot, with so little water that it mostly cooks off and only a concentrated starchy water is left. The starchy water thickens the final sauce really nicely. Lastly, combine sauce and pasta and boom, you've got bucatini all'amatriciana. Makes 3-5 servings, depending on how big you like your servings. 

Awesome, thanks for sharing! Seems simple enough and very similar to the pomodoro I make with fresh tomatoes.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

So it's basically pasta with bacon in the sauce?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

LOL! 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

That is not a pancake. At a certain level it just becomes cake ;) 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

17 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

LOL! 

It probably wouldn't have been as funny without the reaction tweet. I found a blog with another recipe: https://www.chopstickchronicles.com/extra-thick-and-fluffy-japanese-style-pancakes/

I'm actually a little disappointed in the result. I was hoping it would turn out more like a souffle. I'm still trying it, though.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• 2 weeks later...

Happy Thanksgiving!

1511474867665.jpg

The skin didn't quite brown the way I wanted to, but it was the most juicy and tender turkey I have ever made.

Bill

My Swing Thread

That looks delicious @billchao

Had some ramen this afternoon:

Off topic but videoing my swing has really liberated me in terms of videoing interesting things since much more handy w/camera and less self conscious of using it.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

On 11/23/2017 at 5:10 PM, billchao said:

Happy Thanksgiving!

1511474867665.jpg

The skin didn't quite brown the way I wanted to, but it was the most juicy and tender turkey I have ever made.

Nice. Spatchcocking is a great technique. We use it for grilling chicken too and press it down with an iron skillet.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

5 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Nice. Spatchcocking is a great technique. We use it for grilling chicken too and press it down with an iron skillet.

It's great. I was applying the herb butter when the family showed up and it was done a little before we were ready to serve the meal. 12lb turkey cooked in under 90 minutes.

Bill

My Swing Thread

$2. These are amazeballs.

Steve

These pies belong in a museum!

Steve

• 1 month later...

Big tub of hummus.

Steve

12 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Big tub of hummus.

Adorable.

Have you ever made your own hummus? I want to try.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

3 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Adorable.

Have you ever made your own hummus? I want to try.

I tried making falafel. Swing and a miss. Need to try again.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Steve

Made char siu (叉烧), barbecue pork. Not quite as good as from the store, but close enough.

IMG_7918.JPG

Steve

47 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Made char siu (叉烧), barbecue pork. Not quite as good as from the store, but close enough.

IMG_7918.JPG

Looks very yummy!

My wife makes this for us as well. Really good with spare ribs too!

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano