IGNORED

Food Thread

mvmac

1 hour ago, nevets88 said:

Quick, to White Castle!!!

Update: It was very good. Hamburger purists are gonna say it's not the same, but it's good enough for me. I usually counter balance a burger with a healthy serving of veggies, but I forgot, this "hamburger" is veggies.

Ugh, White Castle. The only way to make a veggie burger less appetizing than it was to begin with :-P

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

26 minutes ago, billchao said:

Ugh, White Castle. The only way to make a veggie burger less appetizing than it was to begin with :-P

Try one! I'd like to know what you think!

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

4 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Try one! I'd like to know what you think!

I'm not kidding, Steve. White Castle is gross.

I'd try it at a decent burger joint, or even prepared myself. I'm not against vegetables, but never been a fan of veggie burgers. Don't get it. I'd rather just grill some vegetables and make a sandwich.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

13 minutes ago, billchao said:

I'm not kidding, Steve. White Castle is gross.

I'd try it at a decent burger joint, or even prepared myself. I'm not against vegetables, but never been a fan of veggie burgers. Don't get it. I'd rather just grill some vegetables and make a sandwich.

Fair enough. Maybe there will be frozen patty take home and cook versions.

Doing more reading on it. Some more reservations.

But environmental and consumer advocacy groups are calling on the company to pull its ersatz burger from the market until it can prove the genetically engineered ingredient that gives the patty its uncanny beef-like quality is safe to eat.

The activists are basing their opinion on documents obtained from the Food and Drug Administration through the Freedom of Information Act that show regulators have yet to deem the special ingredient fit for consumption (though they did not say it was unsafe).

"The current arguments at hand, individually and collectively, were not enough to establish the safety of SLH for consumption," an FDA memo said, referring to soy leghemoglobin, a protein found in soy roots that's the basis for the burger's meaty texture and flavor.

"Impossible Foods should pull the burgers from the market unless and until safety can be established by the FDA and apologize to those whose safety it may have risked," said Jim Thomas of ETC Group, an advocacy group focused on socioeconomic and ecological issues, which requested the FDA documents along with Friends of the Earth. Those documents were first shared with the New York Times.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-impossible-burger-fda-20170808-story.html

https://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2017/08/31/how-the-impossible-burger-revealed-some-disturbing-fda-practices/#6c675cd56aa9

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/08/business/impossible-burger-food-meat.html

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• 2 weeks later...

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

I've probably asked this before, anyways, what's your opinion of Trader Joe's?

Steve

On 4/27/2018 at 2:48 PM, nevets88 said:

I don't like Mustard.  In fact, when my Mother-in-law wants to use it, she brings it over...If cooking, dijon is the only way to go.

I tease my family all of the time...Mustard causes scurvy.  I don't eat mustard and don't have scurvy, therefore, mustard causes scurvy.

10 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

We like Trader Joe's but the closest to us is about one hour away.   They seem to be overpriced.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

14 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Over-priced. There are some good products. I'm not a big fan of TJ's.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Reading some of the posts above I can honestly say I have never had a White Castle burger of any kind. Hot Dogs, with any kind of mustard, at a baseball game are a ritual. Especially on "dollar beer night".

My favorite burger is one you can't buy. A quality quarter pound of meat, cooked medium rare, served on a lightly toasted English Sour Dough Muffin. With mustard, onions, b&b pickles, and a slice of tomato. Cheese is optional. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

3 hours ago, Patch said:

Reading some of the posts above I can honestly say I have never had a White Castle burger of any kind. Hot Dogs, with any kind of mustard, at a baseball game are a ritual. Especially on "dollar beer night".

My favorite burger is one you can't buy. A quality quarter pound of meat, cooked medium rare, served on a lightly toasted English Sour Dough Muffin. With mustard, onions, b&b pickles, and a slice of tomato. Cheese is optional. 

Pickles and mustard would ruin it but so would the sour dough.   

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I'm surprised to hear TJ's is overpriced. You'll hear the opposite here in New York. I'd agree if you compare to the big box bulk stores some items are cheaper but you're not paying a yearly fee for TJs.

Steve

4 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

I'm surprised to hear TJ's is overpriced. You'll hear the opposite here in New York. I'd agree if you compare to the big box bulk stores some items are cheaper but you're not paying a yearly fee for TJs.

Well in NY, TJ might be considered differently than in Ohio. In Ohio, TJ is expensive.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

In NY, you have your TJ's, which is on the lower end. Then you have your "regular" supermarkets, like D'Agostino or Gristedes (I guess similar to Wegman's, Safeway), which is a bit more expensive, then you have Whole Check, then you have your Dean & Deluca's, Citarella's, Eli's, which are wack expensive. During peak hours, the line literally goes around the store at TJ's, all of them.

Steve

My problem with Trader Joe's is that most (all?) of their stuff is store brand and it's hit or miss. There's an advantage to being able to identify products by brand (for example, if you liked one company's hummus but not another's) and I'm willing to pay a little extra for something that I know I like rather than saving a little bit of money on a substitute product.

I haven't been to one in years and don't feel like I'm missing anything.

Bill

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

I don't think it's particularly expensive (in Ohio). It probably depends on what you get, but their orange chicken isn't bad, their wine is cheap as heck, some of their cookies and candies are medium priced, etc.

We don't buy many fresher things there - pies, fruits, cheeses, etc. - because we only tend to buy the longer-term, longer-keeping things.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 1 month later...

Haven't watched much of Anthony Bourdain's shows, the ones I did were good, just not *that* much a foodie. Catching up on Parts Unknown and it is very good. Watched the Hong Kong, Bronx, Massachusetts and Hawaii episodes. Any suggestions? Could be his other shows too. More than 10 seasons, a lot of episodes. Definitely going to queue up Shanghai, Beirut. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

Steve

2 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Haven't watched much of Anthony Bourdain's shows, the ones I did were good, just not *that* much a foodie. Catching up on Parts Unknown and it is very good. Watched the Hong Kong, Bronx, Massachusetts and Hawaii episodes. Any suggestions? Could be his other shows too. More than 10 seasons, a lot of episodes. Definitely going to queue up Shanghai, Beirut. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

His shows were never really about food.

I'm pretty sure I've watched all of No Reservations and Parts Unknown through the years. The episodes where he traveled with Eric Ripert are some of my favorites.

Still get kind of sad thinking about it.

Bill

My Swing Thread

• 2 weeks later...

Made shrimp and scallop ramen,

Broth
Saute'd onions and garlic
two handfuls of two different type of mushrooms
5 cups of water
Two star anise
tablespoon of ground ginger
simmer for about 30 minutes

Protein
Take a ladle of the broth and use it to steam/simmer the shrimp and scallops in a saute' pan. I put a baking sheet pan on top to steam. Takes about 5 minutes. 

Serving,
Put a bit of miso and soy sauce in the bottom of a deep bowl. Add in cooked udon noodles. Ladle over broth and top with protein. I chose to add some very thinly sliced jalapeño for a bright note. 

Overall, turned out pretty well. I give it a 7.5//10. 

If I wanted to go full flavor broth. I would break out the pressure cooker and throw in pork shanks, chicken backs and lots of mushrooms to get a big umami bomb. This is pretty good for a quick bowl of ramen though. 😉 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag