IGNORED

Food Thread

mvmac

2 minutes ago, Warren Zevon said:

I hear you, except my kids will eat the meat out of the leftovers and all that will be left are the vegetables.  Who does that?

Next time they do that tell them the family is going vegetarian!

16 hours ago, billchao said:

I've never cooked one but I've seen enough Travel Channel shows to know that they can be roasted, stewed, or made into soup. When in doubt, consult Google.

Did you buy it?

No.  We were staying at a hotel.  Even if the hotel would have cooked it for me, there was the issue of getting approval from my spouse.😉

Brian Kuehn

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't take any pictures, but I've been cooking and eating way too much red meat lately.  I tried, unsuccessfully, to make a dish called Plov.  The first time I burned it, badly.  The second time it was very meh except for the beef.  So I switched gears, bought a sirloin roast while they were on sale and made a wickedly delicious pan of steak and potatoes in a garlic butter herb sauce. 

My wife has a really excellent small sized dicer / processor that she swears by.  I'm actually a fan of hanging out in the kitchen doing prep work by hand, but man does that thing do a great job on just about everything.   It uses a dual lid thingy that you press on to make it work.  A few gentle pushes and things turn out beautifully.  I laugh when the kids try to use it and turn their veggies into a near soup.  It was very handy while I was on a bruschetta making cook a month or so ago.  

Damn, now I'm craving it again.

Corey

On 10/22/2019 at 3:12 PM, bkuehn1952 said:

Anyone have a recipe for lamb head?

April Bloomfield's lamb's head recipe is fantastic. Been awhile since I've sought out lamb's heads though. Photos are from over four years ago.

2015-07-26 18.12.46.jpg

2015-07-26 20.19.49.jpg

2015-07-26 20.22.51.jpg

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

• 4 weeks later...

I went with sous vide with the turkey this time. Cross fingers it works out. 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

1 hour ago, nevets88 said:

How long in the bath?

I’m going to smoke it on my Weber kettle this year with a small piece of cherry. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

2 hours ago, nevets88 said:

I would miss the crispy skin.

I haven't hosted Thanksgiving in a few years but I've always cooked my turkey the same way: brined, spatchcocked, rubbed down with compound butter under the skin. I always loved the looks on my family's faces when they arrive and the bird isn't even in the oven 😀

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

5 hours ago, boogielicious said:

How long in the bath?

I’m going to smoke it on my Weber kettle this year with a small piece of cherry. 

Like the Ramones said, twenty twenty twenty fours to go.

12 at 150 for legs then throw in thighs for another 12 bring it down to 130F.

Can you post a pic of the smoked turkey? That would be interesting to see.

3 hours ago, billchao said:

I would miss the crispy skin.

I haven't hosted Thanksgiving in a few years but I've always cooked my turkey the same way: brined, spatchcocked, rubbed down with compound butter under the skin. I always loved the looks on my family's faces when they arrive and the bird isn't even in the oven 😀

Yeah, I suck at searing, so there's that too. Just wanna see what it's like.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

How did the sous vide turkey turn out? Sometimes sous vide can cause poultry to have a weird texture. 

I prefer to break up the turkey into parts, takes about 5 minutes, and then cook everything separately. I usually throw the dark meat on the grill and the white meat into the oven. Then the bones can be used for stock making if need be. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Pacific Northwest Native American Thanksgiving dinner here.  Whew, that's a mouthful.  Grilled salmon, wild rice and cranberry sauce.  Oops, just realized I put some orange zest in the cranberries... the closest orange tree is about 950 miles away.  Eh, they probably sent the squaw to the nearest 7-Eleven.

Edited by Double Mocha Man

22 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

How did the sous vide turkey turn out? Sometimes sous vide can cause poultry to have a weird texture. 

I prefer to break up the turkey into parts, takes about 5 minutes, and then cook everything separately. I usually throw the dark meat on the grill and the white meat into the oven. Then the bones can be used for stock making if need be. 

It's hard to describe. It's a little more tender than the previous methods I've used. I'm also used to the texture of sous vide chicken now since I've had the circulator for over a year and I know there are people that just don't like it. Bill is right in that there's no crunchy skin. There's more work than spatchcocking as you have to butcher the whole thing into 5ish pieces. I'll probably go back to oven cooked next year.

Steve

3 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

It's hard to describe. It's a little more tender than the previous methods I've used. I'm also used to the texture of sous vide chicken now since I've had the circulator for over a year and I know there are people that just don't like it. Bill is right in that there's no crunchy skin. There's more work than spatchcocking as you have to butcher the whole thing into 5ish pieces. I'll probably go back to oven cooked next year.

That makes sense. I do enjoy sous vide food, but I tend to use it for things like seafood, pork, and beef. Also, I am pretty good at just using a sautés pan to cook all of those as well, and they are faster 😉

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

18 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Like the Ramones said, twenty twenty twenty fours to go.

12 at 150 for legs then throw in thighs for another 12 bring it down to 130F.

Can you post a pic of the smoked turkey? That would be interesting to see.

Yeah, I suck at searing, so there's that too. Just wanna see what it's like.

I just did a split breast on the Weber with a little cherry wood. Skin came out great but it was a tiny bit on the dry side. I didn’t wet brine this year, just dry brined.

i want to try sous vide.

Scott

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

I just did a split breast on the Weber with a little cherry wood. Skin came out great but it was a tiny bit on the dry side. I didn’t wet brine this year, just dry brined.

Meat thermometer is your friend.

Don't let the tv shows fool you. Even the competition bbq guys use them.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

43 minutes ago, billchao said:

Meat thermometer is your friend.

Don't let the tv shows fool you. Even the competition bbq guys use them.

Bill,

You know I am an engin-nerd 😜. I have a Thermoworks Smoke with two probes, one for the grill and one for the meat. I ran the Weber at 325 and pulled the bird at 155F for carryover. I double checked the temps with my Thermopen too. It wasn’t a pre-brined breast, so I dry brined it overnight. I put rub and unsalted butter under the skin and rubbed the skin. I just think a wet brine would have worked better.

Scott

My Swing Thread

5 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Bill,

You know I am an engin-nerd 😜. I have a Thermoworks Smoke with two probes, one for the grill and one for the meat. I ran the Weber at 325 and pulled the bird at 155F for carryover. I double checked the temps with my Thermopen too. It wasn’t a pre-brined breast, so I dry brined it overnight. I put rub and unsalted butter under the skin and rubbed the skin. I just think a wet brine would have worked better.

I have a Tw Smoke too.  Love it

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

You know I am an engin-nerd

Lol I should have known.

I just think a wet brine would have worked better.

Sounds like a good excuse to cook more turkey 😀

Bill

My Swing Thread

Made some wings tonight. 

Baked the wings till tender. In a sauce pan I saute'd some garlic in butter. I then added in about 2 tablespoon of honey. I added in the wings and let the honey caramelize. I then finished it off with a mixture of soy sauce, mirim, and hot sauce for some heat. 

They turned out pretty well. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag