IGNORED

Food Thread

mvmac

2 hours ago, billchao said:

I don't get the low carb thing either. Carbs aren't necessarily bad for you, it's a problem when you consume too much of them or they're too large a percentage of your daily intake.

So....you do get it.😃

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just now, Vinsk said:

So....you do get it.😃

I do, and I don't. I'm big on eating balanced meals, portion control, moderation. There's nothing inherently wrong with carbs, or fat, or whatever. In moderation.

What I don't get (and I'm not saying anyone here has done this) are the people who demonize carbs. It's a basic nutrient and one of the cornerstones of human development throughout history, yet people today will claim carbs are bad, carbs make you fat, etc. That's not really how that works.

1 minute ago, billchao said:

I do, and I don't. I'm big on eating balanced meals, portion control, moderation. There's nothing inherently wrong with carbs, or fat, or whatever. In moderation.

What I don't get (and I'm not saying anyone here has done this) are the people who demonize carbs. It's a basic nutrient and one of the cornerstones of human development throughout history, yet people today will claim carbs are bad, carbs make you fat, etc. That's not really how that works.

I think it’s because of how people consume carbs. It’s usually not from whole grain breads and Quinoa...it’s processed crap.  Also as far as weight gain and weight loss...carbs are the main macro that can be adjusted to successfully lose excess fat. Reducing carb intake to 20g or less daily for most people will facilitate a more successful weight loss than calorie counting alone. 

5 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

I think it’s because of how people consume carbs. It’s usually not from whole grain breads and Quinoa...it’s processed crap.  Also as far as weight gain and weight loss...carbs are the main macro that can be adjusted to successfully lose excess fat. Reducing carb intake to 20g or less daily for most people will facilitate a more successful weight loss than calorie counting alone. 

I agree with everything you wrote.

To add to it, a lot of people don't realize the cumulative effect of things they consume. If they just cut out their daily intake of something minor like cheese or soda, it adds up.

5 minutes ago, Beastie said:

I’ve been teaching my youngest to bake bread. Plenty kneading helps to pass the timeDB1CCAB7-32D7-49A1-BD2C-14948E3A301A.thumb.jpeg.cdfa46afe464ed3d4963688b258a322d.jpeg

8CE8023B-0BD3-4CAF-B50D-8AAF6F4F7AC2.jpeg

03F00808-CB72-43B0-9C0E-11D0EAE36394.jpeg

I am impressed by her ability to knead from the ceiling and then present the loaf sideways. Well done 😜

The bread looks good, and I don't eat a lot of bread.

1 minute ago, billchao said:

I agree with everything you wrote.

To add to it, a lot of people don't realize the cumulative effect of things they consume. If they just cut out their daily intake of something minor like cheese or soda, it adds up.

I am impressed by her ability to knead from the ceiling and then present the loaf sideways. Well done 😜

The bread looks good, and I don't eat a lot of bread.

Who knew that whilst learning to bake she would develop an ability to defy gravity. Either that or I am crap with technology....

On 4/10/2020 at 3:35 PM, jamo said:

His spaetzle with kimchi and bacon is next on my list. 

Made this today. It came out really good, the melding of bacon and the Korean flavors (kimchi, gochujang, gochugaru). Never made spaetzle before, and I used the tiny holes in my colander, but it worked well enough. 

With the poached eggs, it's extremely rich. So not something I'd plan on making often. 

IMG_0658.jpeg

8 hours ago, jamo said:

Made this today. It came out really good, the melding of bacon and the Korean flavors (kimchi, gochujang, gochugaru). Never made spaetzle before, and I used the tiny holes in my colander, but it worked well enough. 

With the poached eggs, it's extremely rich. So not something I'd plan on making often. 

IMG_0658.jpeg

You could have a second career as a food photographer. Mine never come out that good.

8 hours ago, jamo said:

I need to make my own Kimchi sometime. 

I recently found out about gochujang, and I love this stuff. 

12 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I need to make my own Kimchi sometime. 

I recently found out about gochujang, and I love this stuff. 

I got into a big fermentation kick a year or two ago. Kimchi, pickles, sauerkraut. When it works, it’s awesome. When it doesn’t, you’ve got a vat of rotting vegetables on your counter.  

On 4/10/2020 at 5:39 PM, Vinsk said:

This.  Carbs are not bad in and of itself.  It is simple carbs (e.g., processed flours, etc. but mainly sugar) that spikes your insulin level that is bad for you.  As long as most of the carbs are from complex carbohydrates (e.g., whole grain, etc.), they are good - in moderation of course.

Looking at the pictures of different foods in this thread makes me hungry.  Explains why I try not to visit this thread often. 

7 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

🤤

9B97FAE6-5C2B-4D0D-AF57-3279D23AF89A.jpeg

Spackler is eating well tonight.  Don't forget the bleu cheese dressing.

It's no wonder chickens don't fly...

Edited by Double Mocha Man

35 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Spackler is eating well tonight.  Don't forget the bleu cheese dressing.

It's no wonder chickens don't fly...

No bleu cheese for me. I eat em straight with asparagus on the side.