IGNORED

Driver shaft snapped in half

Note: This thread is 2791 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Today at the range the Fujikura Fit-On Max 300 I'd been gaming for about 18 months snapped.  It was odd, and it was near or at impact.  I was hitting full-out drivers and the shaft snapped in half about an inch above the hosel.  What can cause a driver shaft to just snap like that?  Its fairly stiff, so I don't think it as my swing speed or anything and no sign for last 17 months there as an issue.

Now I need to get a new driver, well, shaft at least.  I have a fairly old driver head as well, so wondering how you guy would go about getting a replacement.

Trouble is, my "clubfitter" that did my putter just does Edel stuff.  Anyone have good experience with Dick's or Edwin Watts?  Go there?  Or is there a good way to find a fitter for a driver?

Anyone have any drivers or shafts they particularly like?  I don't know my swing speed, but I'm about 255-260 carry with fairly low ball flight.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm guessing that you do not need a fitting as you already have the shaft specifications?

Golfsmith has On-Max shafts on sale right now: http://www.golfsmith.com/search/fujikura-shafts/_/N-69753+1364?scode=WEB422SAL

Specifically: http://www.golfsmith.com/product/30056915/fujikura-fit-on-max-60-wood-shaft

I think this is the one because it fits the "300" description.

http://www.300yards.com/proddetail.php?prod=max60

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I've seen that happen twice. In both cases, it was right after the person's bag had fallen off the back of a cart. Something happened in the fall, maybe the shaft banging against an iron or some such thing, that damaged it so that it failed shortly after. Both guys ended up getting replacement shafts at Golfsmith and were pleased with the results.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Quote:
I'm guessing that you do not need a fitting as you already have the shaft specifications?

Well, I was fit into that shaft at around a 13 handicap.  I want to look into trying something else, just not sure how to find a reputable clubfitter in my area.

Your driver shaft broke, Possible for the following reasons;

1) Too heavy & fast of a golf swing with the driver, high impact off center hits to the face and hozzle can damage a shaft

2)  Bag rattle, if you don't use a head cover and the shaft comes in contact with wedges and irons in your bag. They may have slowly been chipping away at the driver shaft.  including if your bag fell over. see #3

3) too steep of swing, I see it all the time on the range, especially hitting off of matts but you can do it one tee boxes too, amateurs with a very steep swing with a driver, well something has to give and its usually the shaft. about 9-12inches from the hozzle

Your driver shaft broke, Possible for the following reasons;

1) Too heavy & fast of a golf swing with the driver, high impact off center hits to the face and hozzle can damage a shaft

2)  Bag rattle, if you don't use a head cover and the shaft comes in contact with wedges and irons in your bag. They may have slowly been chipping away at the driver shaft.  including if your bag fell over. see #3

3) too steep of swing, I see it all the time on the range, especially hitting off of matts but you can do it one tee boxes too, amateurs with a very steep swing with a driver, well something has to give and its usually the shaft. about 9-12inches from the hozzle

Pretty much how I broke two Aldila shafts from Ping (which they gladly replaced for the cost of shipping). I also did some of item 3 as well.

What's funny is that Ping decided to replace my shaft the second time around with a really stiff stiff shaft. They found the stiffest one of the same model they had and put it in. This thing lasted till 6 months ago, when I switched to steel.

My swing should be better now, and I think I might be ready for graphite again.

Well, I was fit into that shaft at around a 13 handicap.  I want to look into trying something else, just not sure how to find a reputable clubfitter in my area.

Does handicap change your swing speed? If so, it still seems like a good 13 handicap will have a pretty decent swing.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• 2 years later...

Almost a year from the day I snapped a shaft during my club championship, I had another one go yesterday. I can't think of what might of caused this one. I've routinely kept the head cover on this club. Suffice it to say, with one day before this year's tournament, I'm pretty screwed.

The emergency replacement is an older Nike VRS 9.5-degree club with a stiff shaft. In the 12 balls or so I was able to hit with it yesterday, I was barely carrying 200 yards.

I've also borrowed my bruv's driver and, if the weather cooperates tonight, I'll see which is my better option.

5 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

Almost a year from the day I snapped a shaft during my club championship, I had another one go yesterday. I can't think of what might of caused this one. I've routinely kept the head cover on this club. Suffice it to say, with one day before this year's tournament, I'm pretty screwed.

The emergency replacement is an older Nike VRS 9.5-degree club with a stiff shaft. In the 12 balls or so I was able to hit with it yesterday, I was barely carrying 200 yards.

I've also borrowed my bruv's driver and, if the weather cooperates tonight, I'll see which is my better option.

Crap man, that sucks. You really did well with that driver too. I can't remember if that club is within the two year warranty time frame or not, but if it is they will replace the shaft for free. I had the shaft in the Nike driver I had break, and even though I bought it through ebay they still replaced it without a question or hassle. It's worth a shot. I know it won't help as far as the tournament but at least it may be able to be fixed for free for the future.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

4 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

Crap man, that sucks. You really did well with that driver too. I can't remember if that club is within the two year warranty time frame or not, but if it is they will replace the shaft for free. I had the shaft in the Nike driver I had break, and even though I bought it through ebay they still replaced it without a question or hassle. It's worth a shot. I know it won't help as far as the tournament but at least it may be able to be fixed for free for the future.

Nah. In the similar spot last year, the Covert was an old demo model at Dick's that I got for $90. No chance at a warranty. 

That said, I'd probably do well to see about replacing the shaft in it as soon as possible. I don't think I want to be hitting that VRS any longer than necessary.

It just seems like a hell of a thing to have two shafts break in one friggin year.

1 minute ago, mcanadiens said:

Nah. In the similar spot last year, the Covert was an old demo model at Dick's that I got for $90. No chance at a warranty. 

That said, I'd probably do well to see about replacing the shaft in it as soon as possible. I don't think I want to be hitting that VRS any longer than necessary.

You could probably find a decent replacement shaft without it costing too much I would think. Sometimes places will have old demo shafts for sale too, the place I buy my clubs from all the time did that.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

1 minute ago, Jeremie Boop said:

You could probably find a decent replacement shaft without it costing too much I would think. Sometimes places will have old demo shafts for sale too, the place I buy my clubs from all the time did that.

I'll shop around a bit. It's just not going to happen before the Club Championship unfortunately.

3 hours ago, mcanadiens said:

Just curious whether it would not be possible to buy and get a shaft installed today.  Carrying a 9.5* driver with a stiff shaft 200 yards is not good.  Either your swing is totally unsuited to the driver's specs or the club is in bad shape.  Shame about the two shafts breaking and it happening during your club tournament.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

5 minutes ago, pganapathy said:

Just curious whether it would not be possible to buy and get a shaft installed today.  Carrying a 9.5* driver with a stiff shaft 200 yards is not good.  Either your swing is totally unsuited to the driver's specs or the club is in bad shape.  Shame about the two shafts breaking and it happening during your club tournament.

Most likely the shaft breaking is more due to it being an older Demo model that he got for a good deal at the store. He could probably get a replacement shaft pretty quickly but it would probably cost him more than the club did.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

I had that happen to a graphite surf rod.  It was making a "tic" sound each cast and then snapped.  I think the sound was longitudinal fibers separating.  As far as finding a replacement...don't overlook the used club section of your local retailers.  The chance you will find exactly what you want is slim; but if you do you can save a packet.  

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

44 minutes ago, pganapathy said:

Like I said. It can't happen today. I'm not going to get the chance until next week, so I'm going to have to deal with it. Sort of hoping that my bruv's driver might be more suitable, although its also a 9.5.Even at best, I'm a short hitter. With my neutral, 10.5 Covert and a regular flex shaft I was maybe carrying 220 to 230 and getting 230 to 240 total distance on average. The lower loft probably has the most to due with the lack of carrying distance. Hopefully the rain isn't too bad tonight, the fairways are firm tomorrow and I can get some roll out with the lower ball flight.

When I can put the time to it, we'll see what makes the most sense. If I can get the club re-shafted for less than $100, I may go that way. God knows I can't be blowing $350 plus on anything right now.

21 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

Most likely the shaft breaking is more due to it being an older Demo model that he got for a good deal at the store. He could probably get a replacement shaft pretty quickly but it would probably cost him more than the club did.

For me the most important thing is "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".  Yes, "better tech" drivers are available.  However, I am the type who doesn't like changing driver or its specs unless I find something remarkably better.  To date, the most forgiving and possibly best driver I have played is the Cleveland Hi-Bore.  I no longer use it because the shaft doesn't suit me anymore, but have yet to find a club as nice as that for my game.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

On 8/5/2016 at 8:32 AM, mcanadiens said:

It just seems like a hell of a thing to have two shafts break in one friggin year.

It would make me wonder about how golf equipment is being assembled these days, and what it is being assembled from! I've been golfing for 50 years, and have never had a shaft break while swinging a club!

Note: This thread is 2791 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!