IGNORED

Is this a Eureka moment ?

Note: This thread is 3605 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi all

I'm currently playing off 15. I drive the ball fairly long but as you would expect of a 15 handicapper I'm inconsistent - sometimes straight up the middle, sometimes a bit hooky, sometimes a push out to the right.

I went to the range on Saturday and decided I would try to fade every ball with my driver. I hit 100 balls and every single one of them faded nicely. I picked a couple of spots in the distance left and right and imagined they were the left and right edges of the fairway. I would say that at least 90 of the shots landed between those points, and those that didn't were not far off.

I'm really stoked about this and thinking this could be a real breakthrough for me. I'm not intending to hit a fade with any other shots (unless I'm in front of a tree or something) - just fade every drive to try to make sure I'm on the fairway.

What do you guys think of this as a strategy ?

Hint : I want you all to say it's great !!

If it helps you with consistent ball flight, then keep at it.  That is what we are all trying to achieve.  Don't get discouraged if it doesn't always work on the course.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

One BIG keys to consistency is to develop a "one way miss". If you can get consistent with one ball flight and then play it 95% of the time! you'll keep in play a lot more and your scores will improve. So yes, that could be a Eureka moment of sorts for you! :beer:

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Many PGA tour players play one shot shape. Zach Johnson hits a draw primarily all the time.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Read this thread to see why this might be working for you.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

I would call it a Eureka moment, I can tell you for certain, having a one way miss really helps manage your golf game.  My ball goes right 98% of the time, might be a fade, a power fade or a slice, but it always moves right.  The 2% of the time it doesn't move right, it's a dead pull and goes straight, hopefully missing the trees on the left!

My brother is in the 15-16 range also and misses both ways.  When he can get in a groove and limit his miss to one way, he prefers to miss left, he will shot low 80's.  I firmly believe he would lower his handicap 5 to 6 strokes if he could limit his misses to one direction.

IMHO, players that play a draw, can and do at times miss right, but players that play a fade, rarely if ever miss left.  I totally understand the idea behind thinking that better players draw the ball, but I know I will NEVER be a tour player or top amateur or club champion.  I do know that my playing a fade and never missing left lets me play pretty consistently and not getting frustrated with the game.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

I would call it a Eureka moment, I can tell you for certain, having a one way miss really helps manage your golf game.  My ball goes right 98% of the time, might be a fade, a power fade or a slice, but it always moves right.  The 2% of the time it doesn't move right, it's a dead pull and goes straight, hopefully missing the trees on the left!

My brother is in the 15-16 range also and misses both ways.  When he can get in a groove and limit his miss to one way, he prefers to miss left, he will shot low 80's.  I firmly believe he would lower his handicap 5 to 6 strokes if he could limit his misses to one direction.

IMHO, players that play a draw, can and do at times miss right, but players that play a fade, rarely if ever miss left.  I totally understand the idea behind thinking that better players draw the ball, but I know I will NEVER be a tour player or top amateur or club champion.  I do know that my playing a fade and never missing left lets me play pretty consistently and not getting frustrated with the game.

I know that's just your opinion but one I would guess is based on absolutely nothing concrete.

And I meant to multi-quote the OP but still struggle with that. It might be a eureka moment but from my experience there will hopefully be a lot more for you. Still, finding a one way miss is big. Helps line up and aim with confidence every time. So way to go.

James

Hi all

I'm currently playing off 15. I drive the ball fairly long but as you would expect of a 15 handicapper I'm inconsistent - sometimes straight up the middle, sometimes a bit hooky, sometimes a push out to the right.

I went to the range on Saturday and decided I would try to fade every ball with my driver. I hit 100 balls and every single one of them faded nicely. I picked a couple of spots in the distance left and right and imagined they were the left and right edges of the fairway. I would say that at least 90 of the shots landed between those points, and those that didn't were not far off.

I'm really stoked about this and thinking this could be a real breakthrough for me. I'm not intending to hit a fade with any other shots (unless I'm in front of a tree or something) - just fade every drive to try to make sure I'm on the fairway.

What do you guys think of this as a strategy ?

Hint : I want you all to say it's great !!

If you think it will work for you, it's worth a try.

But trying to take it to the course and implementing it can be iffy, especially if you're playing for something. :-)

It takes time.

In my bag Driver: Cleveland CG tour black Fairway Woods: Diablo Octane 3 wood; Diablo 5 wood Irons: Mizuno MP53 5-9 Hybrid: Cobra 3, 4 T-Rail Wedge: 46* Cleveland, 50* Cleveland, 54* Titleist, 60* Titleist Putter: Odyssey protype #6 Ball: Maxfli U4/U6... But I'm not really picky about the ball I use.

I know that's just your opinion but one I would guess is based on absolutely nothing concrete.

Maybe more of an observation than concrete, I've watched a lot of golf in my day.  Renowned fades of the ball, Nicklas, Trevino, Couples, Lietske, never say them lose a ball left, but renowned drawers like Tiger, Phil, Norman seen a few of their shots go wayward.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

Well I tried it out on the course last night and I have to say the results were....mixed. Every drive did indeed go left to right but on a few occasions I was aiming too far left and although the shot had the shape I found myself left of the fairway.

I think I need to aim the clubface at my target landing area and let the fade bring it back onto that line.

Will try that tomorrow and let you know !

I have found golf is a journey.  I have not really had a Eureka moment but I have had many positive steps in a progression.

I think you have had a positive step.  How it ends up may not be what you think.  You may learn some things that let you control your draw in the future.

I have battled the hooks in the past.  I heard somewhere once, a draw is tough but you can talk to a fade.

Good luck!

I CURED my duck hook with driver, ON MY OWN

At adress I'm keeping my arms and  hands at the impact position. My arms are straightened at address the same as they are at impact. (bubba does this on tour sometimes I think)

I was bombing dead straight drives and nice power fades all day long.

Only mishits were a few tops, and a few skyballs raelly... maybe one slice too... but I'm happy with the CONSISTENCY and ACCURACY

I was hitting loaned ping G25 driver stiff shaft.

My average drive was surely 260-275 yards total. The range balls disappeared in the underbrush at the back of the safety fence. A couple smashed drives even carried out to 260 yards.

I think you can play a golf course with that! 275 yards total isn't terribly bad for beginner amateurs.

I gotta try out some flighscope/ trackman data in the future, and maybe  train to hit more on the upward strike. I would also like to see some reduced spin numbers I think.

Note: This thread is 3605 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!