IGNORED

Method of improving short game

Note: This thread is 3566 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I feel like my practice is inefficient on the short game. I'll stand and chip balls at he same target over and over then go and hit some random ones around the green from some challenging spots but i feel like i need more structure to my chipping and putting practice. Trying to break 80 right now but i've had 3 85s in a row in which i gave away 5-6 shots around the greens that should have been pretty routine. Any advice would be awesome. Thanks and gig 'em.

Some great threads for you to check out

Highly recommend getting this book, lots of great info on how how to practice all parts of your game

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Some great threads for you to check out

Highly recommend getting this book, lots of great info on how how to practice all parts of your game

All the above first and I would add the books below if you like to read.

by Stan Utley by Stan Utley

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

at my home course we have chip/pitch holes distances are provided, the pro has made score cards you have 8 different shots from 20 yards till 50 yards.

The key is you get 3 shots on each distance within 1 club length is 2 points, within 2 club lengths is 1 point. If you hole out you get 5. every week hole locations change. but distances stay the same.

You should try the round 2 or 3 times. but play them with different clubs. gifs you a good idea what is the best way to play a shot.

If you will do this twice a week for a month you will see you that you start to be better at those shots and get it up and down more often.

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

at my home course we have chip/pitch holes distances are provided, the pro has made score cards you have 8 different shots from 20 yards till 50 yards. The key is you get 3 shots on each distance within 1 club length is 2 points, within 2 club lengths is 1 point. If you hole out you get 5. every week hole locations change. but distances stay the same. You should try the round 2 or 3 times. but play them with different clubs. gifs you a good idea what is the best way to play a shot. If you will do this twice a week for a month you will see you that you start to be better at those shots and get it up and down more often.

Thats exactly what i am looking for. My mechanics are okay, i can hit it low, middle, high, low spin, high(er) spin, but i think that will really help with judging distance and cementing that particular stroke. Thanks!

at my home course we have chip/pitch holes distances are provided, the pro has made score cards you have 8 different shots from 20 yards till 50 yards. The key is you get 3 shots on each distance within 1 club length is 2 points, within 2 club lengths is 1 point. If you hole out you get 5. every week hole locations change. but distances stay the same. You should try the round 2 or 3 times. but play them with different clubs. gifs you a good idea what is the best way to play a shot. If you will do this twice a week for a month you will see you that you start to be better at those shots and get it up and down more often.

This sounds awesome. Around here you are lucky if you don't run into a "no chipping" sign on the putting green with no other place to chip at. But hey you can always hit 10 of your 45 balls for $6 as chips.

James

I'm also looking for some guidance in this area. If I don't leave at least a full LW into the green, I'm pretty much just guessing. I'm ok close to the green, but 120-greenside I really struggle.

I'm also looking for some guidance in this area. If I don't leave at least a full LW into the green, I'm pretty much just guessing. I'm ok close to the green, but 120-greenside I really struggle.

Use can you a pitch shot with lower lofted clubs as well.  I have done it with everything down to a 5 iron.  Just practice the technique at the range with different clubs and you will see it gives you many options distance wise.  I used to always do a full 58 wedge at 75 - 85 yards.  But now I will use my PW or even a 9 iron and just pitch it up if I don't have to clear a bunker.  I used the 5 iron a few weeks back when I was green side in the rough, but had to go under a tree branch.  Worked like a charm.  it works from any lie too.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Use can you a pitch shot with lower lofted clubs as well.  I have done it with everything down to a 5 iron.  Just practice the technique at the range with different clubs and you will see it gives you many options distance wise.  I used to always do a full 58 wedge at 75 - 85 yards.  But now I will use my PW or even a 9 iron and just pitch it up if I don't have to clear a bunker.  I used the 5 iron a few weeks back when I was green side in the rough, but had to go under a tree branch.  Worked like a charm.  it works from any lie too.

I've been working on the pitching technique that Eric shows in that thread. I've been wondering, though, how to go about using it farther away from the hole. Is it a matter of finding your preference, between pitching with, say, a PW from 80 yards and trying to manage a 70% LW (this isn't working for me currently), or is the pitching technique always preferable? I'll definitely try the pitching technique with some lower lofted clubs next time I'm practicing.

I used to always do a full 58 wedge at 75 - 85 yards.  But now I will use my PW or even a 9 iron and just pitch it up if I don't have to clear a bunker.

I do the same thing, except I go all the way down to about 60 yards with it. 9 o'clock pitch shot with my PW is 60 yds. I don't use my 56 or 61 for full shots anymore unless I need to get up over a tree or something.

I've been working on the pitching technique that Eric shows in that thread. I've been wondering, though, how to go about using it farther away from the hole. Is it a matter of finding your preference, between pitching with, say, a PW from 80 yards and trying to manage a 70% LW (this isn't working for me currently), or is the pitching technique always preferable? I'll definitely try the pitching technique with some lower lofted clubs next time I'm practicing.

You just make a longer backswing but still have the "pitchy" feels in there. For a 70% lob wedge you just make about a 3/4 backswing, common mistake is try and swing slower on the downswing. Basically the downswing speed will "feel" the same, just change how far back you take it.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

You just make a longer backswing but still have the "pitchy" feels in there. For a 70% lob wedge you just make about a 3/4 backswing, common mistake is try and swing slower on the downswing. Basically the downswing speed will "feel" the same, just change how far back you take it.

This!  And I like to feel like gravity and the lower body pivot are doing most of the work, even with the longer backswing.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Everyone is talking about mechanics, which is good, you gotta have good mechanics, just not quite what I had in mind for the thread. I'm thinking more management. Does this shot require a low chip or a medium height pitch with more check? Whats the best shot from this lie? Should i loft up on the 52 or square up with the 56? Thats kind of my mindset. Great replies though, keep em coming!

Everyone is talking about mechanics, which is good, you gotta have good mechanics, just not quite what I had in mind for the thread. I'm thinking more management. Does this shot require a low chip or a medium height pitch with more check? Whats the best shot from this lie? Should i loft up on the 52 or square up with the 56? Thats kind of my mindset. Great replies though, keep em coming!

I would recommend this book when it comes out.

And these two books.

Stan Utley -

Basically, use the easiest and most reliable shot you have for the situation.

1. If you have green to work with, use the green (sounds simple doesn't it?).

2.  If not, use the best technique for the requirement and don't be afraid to have the ball go past the hole.

3. Don't try a shot that may put you in a worse position if you miss.

Scott

My Swing Thread

depends on the bag what clubs you got.

it also depends on flag location and green type / slope etc... This is how Martin Hall from golf channel says it.

also depends on your lie of the ball.

Just got back from practicing. Man those uphill chips to a close pin are killing me. Wouldnt be so bad except for the downhill slope 5 feet past the practice pin lol.

Just got back from practicing. Man those uphill chips to a close pin are killing me. Wouldnt be so bad except for the downhill slope 5 feet past the practice pin lol.

Try a different loft club for steep greens.  If the pin is close, I will use my 58 because it will check up more and it lessens the roll out.  I use my 52 or lower when there is a lot of green to work will.

Scott

My Swing Thread

I just stumbled upon Brian Manzella's Youtube video about "Rule of 12s".   [viDeo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTCpkYqF8Ig[/video]

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Note: This thread is 3566 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!