IGNORED

Am I a bandit?

mailman
Note: This thread is 3405 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So a few people at my club keep referring to me as a bit of a bandit at the moment. My handicap is 24.9 and I can play some very good golf when everything works and all the planets are in alignment! The problem is though that I can, and do, quite easily off set this with lots of very VERY bad golf! Ive also won a couple of competitions (a captains stableford at the start of the year as well as winning one of my clubs major competitions and a second place in another major compeition last year) and am currently playing in a final for another competition in a couple of weeks. I think Ive also benefitted from playing a lot of 4BBB knock out games as the geezer I play with is very steady (he is a 17hcp) and he always cleans up the holes that I blow up on. In fact in our best match so far we played against two very low single figure handicappers but because between the two of us we evenly shot 12 gross pars and a birdie it meant our opposition had to shoot 12 birdies just to square the holes, which they didnt manage to do for the most part. BTW, the handicaps for our matches is worked out on 3/4 of the difference between the low handicapper and everyone else. Also I havent had the chance to play in many stableford or any medal comps this year (apart from the one I won back in January) because for most of January, Feb and March my course was under 6 foot of water and Ive been playing a lot of match play rounds...plus having family means I really can only get out for a full round once a weekend. Anyway, I think my handicap could be lower but at the moment when I do go out and play golf Im only shooting mid to high 90's (my course is par 71). Ive also shot a couple rounds in the high 80's but these werent official rounds and under absolutely no pressure (but there were no gimmies!). Currently my best official round is 92 (with the usual if I got all my woulda, coulda, shoulda misses then this would have been a round in the low 80's!!!). So yeah, maybe Im just being overly sensitive but I definately dont want to be that guy that everyone talks about behind his back and there is nothing more that I would love than to have a nice low, official and earned handicap! Ive also only been playing since March last year (when I bought my very first ever club membership and a very good, very nice and very challenging golf course). Regards Mailman

Mailman

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Take it as a compliment.  You rise to the occasion in competition.  As you play more, your game should steady out.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

You seem to have been very successful over a short golf career.  Since you are a member of a club and one's standing within the club is important, you might consider going to the handicap committee and tell them your story.  Perhaps suggest a small adjustment in light of the fact that you may be improving faster than the handicap system can reflect.

1. You will be seen as someone who doesn't want to take advantage of the other club members

2. You have some say in the adjustment.  If you suggest taking off 2.0 points they might accept that idea.  If you don't say anything they might take off 5.0 points.  Ouch.

Personally, I don't see you as a bandit, just the guy I don't want to face in my next match!

Brian Kuehn

How often do you play a competition that posts for handicap vs how often do you play casually? One of the big problems with only posting "competitive" rounds IMHO. Handicaps can take forever to change, despite improved play. Assuming no manipulation on your part, my only recommendation would be to play in more individual events that will either allow your handicap to catch up with your actual ability, or allow others a better sense of how you play the majority of the time. You're absolutely right though, you do NOT want that reputation. And once earned, it's difficult to lose.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Those "High 80's" rounds, what about them made them not official???

If he's got a cap in congo, only competition rounds count or if he declares a round a practice round prior to playing.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Just out of curiosity are you using the British congu handicap system??

I am in a similar position to yourself with having inconsistency in my rounds, My good rounds can be 6-8 shots below my handicap and vice verse with my bad rounds. Often my playing partners will only moan about my good rounds, like yesterday I had the game of my life and got a new personal best of 81 (+11).

Personally i think the problems lies with the congu handicap system, as your handicap is only effected by competition rounds. Would be nice if Britain started using the US handicap system.

For the first 6 or 7 years that I played I drove team captains in the choose-up games nuts because they never knew what they were getting when they picked me.

One day I might have a really low round (like within a shot or two of par) and the next day I might not break 90.

How well I played mostly depended on whether I had the shanks (or was worried about the shanks) that day or not. I might go the entire round without actually shanking a ball but still couldn't play well because I shanked a ball or two warming up.

Over the last few years I settled into more consistent scores with neither my best scores being as good as they used to be or my worst scores being as bad as they used to be.

I'm not happy at all with that progression and was hoping that my best scores would stay the same or improve and my worst scores would come down.

Instead the best scores and worst scores simply joined each other in the middle. :surrender:

If your keeping score under the USA      www.GHIN.com   handicapping system   im pretty sure you post every score to have an accurate hc.  these unposted rounds in the 80's IMHO make you a BANDIT-SANDBAGGER-CHEAT pick 1.  If I were in your club and found out you were never keeping score of your match play rounds, (you are playing golf)  or kept going out for "practice rounds" in the 80's  I would avoid you like the plague and let my friends know your practices as well, you would never a get a money game.  My suggestion is to start posting all your scores.  GHIN.com has a different setting for tournament rounds.

If your keeping score under the USA      www.GHIN.com   handicapping system   im pretty sure you post every score to have an accurate hc.  these unposted rounds in the 80's IMHO make you a BANDIT-SANDBAGGER-CHEAT pick 1.  If I were in your club and found out you were never keeping score of your match play rounds, (you are playing golf)  or kept going out for "practice rounds" in the 80's  I would avoid you like the plague and let my friends know your practices as well, you would never a get a money game.  My suggestion is to start posting all your scores.  GHIN.com has a different setting for tournament rounds.

Easy hoss, he is from the UK and they use CONGU (not congo thanks smart phone). Competition rounds only count towards their handicap.

Easy hoss, he is from the UK and they use CONGU (not congo thanks smart phone). Competition rounds only count towards their handicap.

Damn you auto correct! :-P

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

So a few people at my club keep referring to me as a bit of a bandit at the moment. My handicap is 24.9 and I can play some very good golf when everything works and all the planets are in alignment! The problem is though that I can, and do, quite easily off set this with lots of very VERY bad golf!

Ive also won a couple of competitions (a captains stableford at the start of the year as well as winning one of my clubs major competitions and a second place in another major compeition last year) and am currently playing in a final for another competition in a couple of weeks.

I think Ive also benefitted from playing a lot of 4BBB knock out games as the geezer I play with is very steady (he is a 17hcp) and he always cleans up the holes that I blow up on. In fact in our best match so far we played against two very low single figure handicappers but because between the two of us we evenly shot 12 gross pars and a birdie it meant our opposition had to shoot 12 birdies just to square the holes, which they didnt manage to do for the most part. BTW, the handicaps for our matches is worked out on 3/4 of the difference between the low handicapper and everyone else.

Also I havent had the chance to play in many stableford or any medal comps this year (apart from the one I won back in January) because for most of January, Feb and March my course was under 6 foot of water and Ive been playing a lot of match play rounds...plus having family means I really can only get out for a full round once a weekend.

Anyway, I think my handicap could be lower but at the moment when I do go out and play golf Im only shooting mid to high 90's (my course is par 71). Ive also shot a couple rounds in the high 80's but these werent official rounds and under absolutely no pressure (but there were no gimmies!). Currently my best official round is 92 (with the usual if I got all my woulda, coulda, shoulda misses then this would have been a round in the low 80's!!!).

So yeah, maybe Im just being overly sensitive but I definately dont want to be that guy that everyone talks about behind his back and there is nothing more that I would love than to have a nice low, official and earned handicap! Ive also only been playing since March last year (when I bought my very first ever club membership and a very good, very nice and very challenging golf course).

Regards

Mailman

I think that statement speaks for itself. Time has a way of working things out. Let the people talk.

- Shane

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about what others say.  Play your game.  Enjoy yourself.

Though I'll never be able to find it, Golf Digest published an article a while back that crunched numbers on what handicaps were most complimentary when putting together a scramble team.  What I remember from the article was that bringing along a couple of HIGHER handicappers in the group gave an advantage over a team loaded with single-digit players.  The reason is that the higher handicap players most definitely possess the ability to outright birdie a hole.  With handicap, this means the low HDCP teams must double-eagle the same holes just to push.

Interesting article based on number crunching.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Well, yes and no. If you think you are playing below your handicap you can present your card (signed by an appropriate playing partner) and have it entered into the system so that adjustments are made, even if you weren't playing in competition. [b]OP[/b], if you occasionally shoot scores several shots below your official handicap, I'd say you're a bandit, yes. Your handicap is not supposed to be what you shoot on average, it's supposed to be what you shoot on a good day.

The more I practise, the luckier I hope to get.

Thanks everyone for your replies, it has been very useful. I have dropped an email to our handicap comittee, explaining my story and asking for their thoughts on a 2 shot reduction. So I guess I should hear back from them in the next few days.

Sorry, I didnt really explain myself all that well. At my club once frosts, snow and water arrives the course is moved on to artificial winter tees and from that point on, from what I understand, all rounds are classed as non-qualifiers and cant be used for handicapping purposes. This is when I shot my sub 90 rounds. Royster and iHack, I am playing my golf in Crambridgeshire, UK. To be honest, as Im only new to this game I didnt even know about submitting supplimentary cards until recently! I dont know but its never been something brought up while playing golf??? Anyway Im going down to the club to play in yet another match play event in an hour so I shall call in to the pro shop to have a bit of a chat about this and bits and pieces (like arranging a course of lessons for the next few months to help me improve:). Once again, thanks everyone for your replies. Regards Mailman

Mailman

Easy nothing I clearly start my bit with "if your plaing in the US". :naughty:

Thanks everyone for your replies, it has been very useful.

I have dropped an email to our handicap comittee, explaining my story and asking for their thoughts on a 2 shot reduction. So I guess I should hear back from them in the next few days.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RH31

Those "High 80's" rounds, what about them made them not official???

Sorry, I didnt really explain myself all that well. At my club once frosts, snow and water arrives the course is moved on to artificial winter tees and from that point on, from what I understand, all rounds are classed as non-qualifiers and cant be used for handicapping purposes. This is when I shot my sub 90 rounds.

Royster and iHack,

I am playing my golf in Crambridgeshire, UK. To be honest, as Im only new to this game I didnt even know about submitting supplimentary cards until recently! I dont know but its never been something brought up while playing golf???

Anyway Im going down to the club to play in yet another match play event in an hour so I shall call in to the pro shop to have a bit of a chat about this and bits and pieces (like arranging a course of lessons for the next few months to help me improve:).

Once again, thanks everyone for your replies.

Regards

Mailman

Sounds like you're doing all you can do Mailman, so I wouldn't worry about it. Keep improving and when those scores come down the issue will go away. Good luck!

FWIW, the club I play out of keeps a  "winter" handicap for us November through March.

Easy nothing I clearly start my bit with "if your plaing in the US".

Mmm hmm... :-X

Note: This thread is 3405 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!