IGNORED

Body turn with driver

Note: This thread is 3599 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am getting on a bit and getting a bit stiffer in my movements.  I am Having trouble with body turn with the driver.  I am tending to fade the ball and lose distance.  However I have found that if I really belt the ball the weight of the club helps to get me a better body turn with the result of a much better drive.  I don't want to be belting it all the time though.  So, has anyone got any tips to help with this please?

Bri

I do a light workout before every golf outing. I particularly want to work on my back. I do 300 crunches for this. I also do several minutes of yoga and other stretching. Four Advil before the round doesn't hurt either. I'm 57 which isn't ancient but I don't have the body turn I had 40 years ago. I also take many vitamin and mineral supplements each day. I've been taking glucosamine for years.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Glad you're doing well Vangator.  IMO there is no scientific evidence that Glucosamine offers any benefits to the aging body. Some folks offer personal testimonials using glucosamine  and those i cannot deny. There is some evidence that Fish Oil offers various health benefits, including joint lube.

And OP, what do you mean by 'belt the ball'?  IMO, (again) if you do not have a desire to hit the drive a long way (very relative to each player) the ball will just float off the peg. Hip turn and clubhead speed are highly correlated, even causation may be found.  Sure, male gender and  age decreases hormones, which decreases  joint flexibility.  But if you do not start to reverse this trend with exercise, esp yoga, my favorite,  then slowly  but certainly , you'll one day be 'stiff as a brick' and without muscle mass. Don't go there.

Just my 3 cents...At 66, and having a bad back, I find The most important thing for me is Stretching..Also I have a Phys Therapist that has me do 4 exercises to 1 stretch my back, 2 to strengthen it, 3 to strengthen my glutes,, 4 stretch my hamstrings, and 4 to losen my hips, I guess there's some muscles in those. What I have gained is way more flexibility, and my back tends to hurt less after hitting 250 balls at the range.

I take vitamin D as per my Doctor, and that's it. YMMV. But staying active helps.

• Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3599 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!