IGNORED

Scott Langley's 25-second Putt at The Memorial - Add a Stroke or Not?

iacas
Note: This thread is 3578 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Should he have added a stroke for waiting too long?

• Add a stroke
    • Do not add a stroke

• Administrator

What do y'all think? Did he violate the ten-second rule? Should he have added a stroke?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Excuse my ignorance, but I'm assuming that you only have 10 seconds to mark your ball after it stops?

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

• Administrator

Excuse my ignorance, but I'm assuming that you only have 10 seconds to mark your ball after it stops?

As you know, the Rules of Golf are online.

16-2. Ball Overhanging Hole

When any part of the ball overhangs the lip of the hole, the player is allowed enough time to reach the hole without unreasonable delay and an additional ten seconds to determine whether the ball is at rest. If by then the ball has not fallen into the hole, it is deemed to be at rest. If the ball subsequently falls into thehole, the player is deemed to have holed out with his last stroke, and must add a penalty stroke to his score for the hole; otherwise, there is no penalty under this Rule.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

If it was still moving (I can't tell but the announcers thought it was) it wouldn't matter how long it took would it?

• Administrator
If it was still moving (I can't tell but the announcers thought it was) it wouldn't matter how long it took would it?

You're also talking about the same announcer in Feherty who confused the color of the hazard and the options available when Tiger hit the flagstick at Augusta.

I'm leaning toward "it wasn't moving and he should have added a penalty stroke."

A ball at rest can start moving when the grass cools, or a puff of wind comes up, etc.

You're also talking about the same announcer in Feherty who confused the color of the hazard and the options available when Tiger hit the flagstick at Augusta.

Yeah I'm not going taking what he said as the Gospel but adding in both players looking at it, and the fact that I can't tell, there doesn't seem to be any evidence otherwise.

As you know, the Rules of Golf are online.

Thanks, it was instinctual to ask the question.. I appreciate the answer!

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

• Administrator

I voted "add a stroke." I'm not 100% that way, but in reading the Rule, he violated it. He did not proceed to the hole after the ball was overhanging, and when he got there he still took quite some time.

I voted add a stroke. If you consider the delay before he starts walking, then the delay after he stops walking, it's more than the allotted 10 seconds. Not to mention he made no attempt to actually walk to his ball... He is in breach of both the letter and spirit of the rule.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Two PGA Pros are standing right there, Bubba didn't call foul.

It was likely creeping slowly and they were eyeballing it.

I don't think the grass was cooling or the wind suddenly gusted or anything like that.

He stood there a reasonable amount of time (per the rules), then walked up and stopped to observe again..... Like he got closer and the ball movement was easier to see up close, (Bubba walked up too and then stopped and started watching intently too) I can see the players actions and posture are very consistent with that.

Bill - 

I looked like he spent a reasonable amount of time to walk towards the hole, and wanted to make sure he did not disturb the ball and consulted with his fellow (not sure if opponent or competitor) player, then waited just about 10 seconds when it fell in.

From the looks of it he should not get a penalty, but barely.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I'm not sure, I mean it was a long time to wait, but even the other player seemed to be watching it pretty closely and wasn't bothered by the wait.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

He waited the full 10 seconds, then took far too long to walk to the ball before it fell.  The rule is quite clear.  He should have added a stroke.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I would like to know what the players were saying, if anything. If Bubba said something like "Hey man it's still moving" or something like that it would make it an easy decision for me. As it is in a tough decision I have to give the player the benefit of the doubt.

• Administrator

Two PGA Pros are standing right there, Bubba didn't call foul.

It was likely creeping slowly and they were eyeballing it.

I don't know that I agree with that. You're essentially relying on Bubba to know the exact rule on this?

I'd tell the guy "you've got ten seconds, it's gonna be close." Plus, since there's no problem waiting 15 seconds (you just add a stroke), what's the harm in waiting, particularly… if you're Bubba? It's not gonna do anything to you, and you get to watch to see if it falls or not, satisfying your curiosity.

He stood there a reasonable amount of time (per the rules)

No, that's not per the rules. He took far too long. He doesn't get to stand there at his address position, then slowly walk up, then stand there again.

I looked like he spent a reasonable amount of time to walk towards the hole, and wanted to make sure he did not disturb the ball and consulted with his fellow (not sure if opponent or competitor) player, then waited just about 10 seconds when it fell in.

He stood at his ball, not moving, for ten seconds. Literally, his feet didn't even move an inch. That's not allowed within the rules.

He waited the full 10 seconds, then took far too long to walk to the ball before it fell.  The rule is quite clear.  He should have added a stroke.

I'd like to point out that he didn't walk to his ball, he walked a large arc around the hole and ended up some four feet from his ball when he stopped to watch it again.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

He stood at his ball, not moving, for ten seconds. Literally, his feet didn't even move an inch. That's not allowed within the rules.

I tend to agree that he took a little too long. Like a second or so. It could be argued that he was approaching with caution and did not want to disturb the ball, but that probably counts into the ten second allowable wait.

For me, I would have requested to tap it in, and incurred the extra stroke anyways. If my competitor/opponent did this, I would be a little more lenient and let him make the call himself.

This is a really tough one.

What was the ruling in the end?

EDIT, looked it up. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/golf/article-2647422/Scott-Langleys-cliffhanger-putt-Memorial-Tournament-stays-lip-24-SECONDS-dropping-cup.html

24 seconds, but still good.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I voted for adding a stroke.

At 0:08 the ball basically stops moving visually from the video

At 0:18 Scott starts walking towards the ball

At 0:30 the ball finally falls in. He basically took his 10 seconds plus another 12 seconds. The ball clearly didn't look like it was moving. Feherty saying "The ball is moving all the time", I mean come on, he's what 50-60 yards away off the green, not way he could be seeing that ball move. By the rules I think it should be another stroke added.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Note: This thread is 3578 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!