IGNORED

Wish me luck with my wife.

seagullplayer
Note: This thread is 3511 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My wife often rides with me in the cart.  I am about half blind and loose my ball in the sky all the time, so it really helps to have a healthy set of eyes along.  And she enjoys being out and people watching and I enjoy her company.

So out of the blue last week on the course, she said she thought she might like to learn to play the game.  Now I have asked her a 1000 times about it before, but I guess it just needed to be her idea.  If you are married, I bet you understand...

Her birthday is coming up and I offer to buy her a set of clubs.  Today I picked up the clubs and tonight she will hit her first ever golf ball.  Now she is left handed and I am "normal", (smile) so she couldn't use my clubs.  So this will literally be the first golf ball she has ever swung at.

This could be the beginning of something big in our relationship, or it could be that I have just purchased the instruments of my own death.  We will start in the back yard, but if the weather holds, we could easily end up at the newly opened range at our local club.

After raising two kids and almost 25 years of marriage we do have a little more patience for one another, I am pretty sure how this would have went 20 years ago!  Perhaps now is the perfect time.

I just want her to come away with something positive tonight.

Does your spouse play?

My wife often rides with me in the cart.  I am about half blind and loose my ball in the sky all the time, so it really helps to have a healthy set of eyes along.  And she enjoys being out and people watching and I enjoy her company.

So out of the blue last week on the course, she said she thought she might like to learn to play the game.  Now I have asked her a 1000 times about it before, but I guess it just needed to be her idea.  If you are married, I bet you understand...

Her birthday is coming up and I offer to buy her a set of clubs.  Today I picked up the clubs and tonight she will hit her first ever golf ball.  Now she is left handed and I am "normal", (smile) so she couldn't use my clubs.  So this will literally be the first golf ball she has ever swung at.

This could be the beginning of something big in our relationship, or it could be that I have just purchased the instruments of my own death.  We will start in the back yard, but if the weather holds, we could easily end up at the newly opened range at our local club.

After raising two kids and almost 25 years of marriage we do have a little more patience for one another, I am pretty sure how this would have went 20 years ago!  Perhaps now is the perfect time.

Does your spouse play?

Godspeed. My ladyfriend plays as well (I convinced her to start after she graduated college, where she was a terrific softball player), and it's great to have your significant other to play with. She's taken ridiculously well to the game because her athletic background lends itself well to the swing mechanics of golf, and she plays off of the men's tees with me (we demoed new 2014 irons at Golfsmith together and she mashes their demo 6 irons over 180; god bless), so we get to spend lots of time on the course. It's great stuff, and I wish you well!

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Does your spouse play?

That's great that she wants to play.  From my experience it would be best to wait till she says that she is ready for a round and find a par 3-course for her first round.  I made the mistake of taking my gf to a course with loads of water very early on (not a good idea), but luckily she still likes it and has stayed with it.

Well this could end one of three ways for you :) The very first people I played golf with were three married couples; Couple 1 - the perfect golfing couple. I paired up with these two when I made my presence known by landing my ball about 10 yards behind them on the tee as I was trying to get in to our second green. They waited patiently for me to complete the hole then said that for everyone's safety that we should play on together :) Anyway these two were awesome to play with! They just bounced off each other as we played around the course and were just great to play with (both are around 13 hcp'ers) and were a lot of fun. Couple 2: I thought these two were going to rip each other's clothes off as we played around the course such was the sexual tension between them! Couple 3: were a retired couple and how they have stayed together for so long is a mystery!?!? At various points in the round I'd be talking to the husband and the wife would be saying "I know you can hear me David" and "why are you ignoring me" while he had a massive smile on his face but the funniest bit about these two was every time the wife miss hit a ball she would turn around and say "David! Why did you make me do that!". So take your pick, which couple do you truly believe you two will end up as? :) Regards Mailman

Mailman

My wife and I started playing golf together and it has been really good.   I wish you the same.

I am sure your marriage is very strong but consider having her take some lessons (golf clinic can be a cheap way to get formal lessons).   And keep encouraging her, and make it fun.   You guys will do well then.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

My wife doesn't play, and I am thankful for it...

Please don't be one of those guys giving lessons to a first time player on the course!   If you bring her along.....let her take a shot here or here....drop on the greens to putt....etc, etc...

• Upvote 1

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Things went really well, she ended her first lesson with a smile!

She loves her new clubs.

The weather kept us in the back yard.

She hit a few balls off the tee.

She is excited and seems to understand her limitations. (Not ready to go on tour)

I taught both our sons to play, but we have talked about lessons for her, and she is very receptive.

She does hair for a living and one of her female clients started playing last year and took lessons

and had a positive experience.  She is going to ask for contact info.

I am going to make some phone calls this afternoon and see what is available at our local course.

One thing that is going to make this process easier is that my SIL also just got her first set of clubs.

Her and my brother just got back from vacation in Florida, while there he played a couple rounds and she

rode along.  It was mid week and the course was deserted so he let her putt at the greens.  She got hooked.

First step went well.

My wife and I started playing golf together and it has been really good.   I wish you the same.

I am sure your marriage is very strong but consider having her take some lessons (golf clinic can be a cheap way to get formal lessons).   And keep encouraging her, and make it fun.   You guys will do well then.

+1 on this.  My wife plays and enjoys it.  It is something we can do together.  She is not as passionate about it as I, but likes it.  She has taken some lessons too.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

My wife just took up the game this year, and it has been a great experience for us so far. We have a hobby now that we can share together for the rest of our lives. Amazing how quickly beginners improve in terms of shaving strokes from the score. Especially when I compare how difficult it is for me to knock half a stroke off of my handicap.

This is my wife's 6th season playing.  Finally gained enough confidence to join a girls' league this season.  Nice that your wife has enjoyed the outdoors, the courses you play and driving the cart enough to make the move to playing herself.  I mean, what's NOT to like being on a golf course?

Good luck with the first clubs and balls session.  As you said, coming away with anything positive will keep her wanting more!

Enjoy the new-found time together.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

My wife doesn't play, and I am thankful for it...

Please don't be one of those guys giving lessons to a first time player on the course!   If you bring her along.....let her take a shot here or here....drop on the greens to putt....etc, etc...

:beer:

This is my wife's 6th season playing.  Finally gained enough confidence to join a girls' league this season.  Nice that your wife has enjoyed the outdoors, the courses you play and driving the cart enough to make the move to playing herself.  I mean, what's NOT to like being on a golf course?

Good luck with the first clubs and balls session.  As you said, coming away with anything positive will keep her wanting more!

Enjoy the new-found time together.

dave

I can relate to this.

After 5 years of golf, my wife and I played our 1st club tournament, 2 person alternate ball, 100% handicap event.   Yeah, we got 27 combined handicap strokes :-) but so what.   We did well and there is still a calm in our marriage.   But it was a struggle just to convince her to keep accurate GHIN.  Convincing her to enter a tournament as she can't handle pressure from competition was another struggle.   We are both looking forward to enter another club tournament (not so serious one).

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

When my wife first started playing I found I had more patience if I did not play with her and only rode along and helped her.  That way I wasn't worried about how I was playing and was focusing on helping her learn the game.

When my wife first started playing I found I had more patience if I did not play with her and only rode along and helped her.  That way I wasn't worried about how I was playing and was focusing on helping her learn the game.

Good idea, you won't be frustrated when your drive is in the woods and hers is in the middle of the fairway.

• 2 months later...

UPDATE:

Finally made it on the course with my wife playing Saturday.  There was a threat of rain so the place was pretty slow.

It went great!

She hit off every Tee and all her tee shots looked pretty good.  Very straight and we can work on distance.

She played her ball when it worked out and just shot from my spot if it didn't.  She played the fifth and sixth holes using all her shots.

There was a couple and their very young grandson a head of us, they where letting him tee off with the grandmother and then putt on the green.

They where pretty slow, but no one was behind us so we didn't mind.

While waiting it gave us a chance to practice putting a bit.  That is something my wife can't do at home.

We where both really excited and had a great time.

• Upvote 1

:dance:

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Note: This thread is 3511 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!